05 LT NAV2 to NAV4 Install Was Plug and Play! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 8:37 am Thread Starter

05 LT NAV2 to NAV4 Install Was Plug and Play!

Well the procrastination beast finally left my house and I started working on my winter project. I reviewed the info on removing the Tuppeware and everything went like clockwork. Took about two hours to get everything off and do the install. Had a pleasent surprise in that my 05 Lt wiring was a simple plug and play in transitioning from a NAV2 to the 4. The power and wire connectors included with the kit were simple replacement and did not need the extra wire connector I had bought for $115 from BMW. My ride came from the dealer with the NAV 2 installed. Only trick was figuring out how much to remove to get down below the stingray. I removed the two screws from the underside front of the stingray that allowed me to easily pull the old NAV2 wires out and push the 4s thru. Connections were the same so lucky me! Haven't put it all back together yet except for reattaching the Stingray. Now to move on to the valve check and oil change and maybe an HID install. Not today though as the golf course is beckoning! The Beast is back!

Dave T
I did not live to work....I only worked to live! Retired and living life our way!

K1200LT (Calamity)
06 Concours
03 Wing
99 Kaw Voyager
Suz GS850 (10 years! Too good to go)
Suz GS750
Honda 750F & CL,XL 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 05 LT NAV2 to NAV4 Install Was Plug and Play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
Well the procrastination beast finally left my house and I started working on my winter project. I reviewed the info on removing the Tuppeware and everything went like clockwork. Took about two hours to get everything off and do the install. Had a pleasent surprise in that my 05 Lt wiring was a simple plug and play in transitioning from a NAV2 to the 4. The power and wire connectors included with the kit were simple replacement and did not need the extra wire connector I had bought for $115 from BMW. My ride came from the dealer with the NAV 2 installed. Only trick was figuring out how much to remove to get down below the stingray. I removed the two screws from the underside front of the stingray that allowed me to easily pull the old NAV2 wires out and push the 4s thru. Connections were the same so lucky me! Haven't put it all back together yet except for reattaching the Stingray. Now to move on to the valve check and oil change and maybe an HID install. Not today though as the golf course is beckoning! The Beast is back!
Are you saying the Nav 4 came with the proper cables with nothing extra to buy? Does it attach to the stingray mount? I have a Nav 3 on my 07 and would like to upgrade. Do you have the VOICE II intercom?

Where did you buy the Nav 4?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2014, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

My 05 LT came with the Comm II system with the newer radio and bMW NAVII from the dealer. It has the round selection dial on the unit. The NAVIV has a different cradle and connection wires then my old NAVII which is the same for a NAVIII however, the NAVIV cradle mounts directly to the Stingray in the Same fashion as the II or III. When I removed the Stingray (just detached it but did not need to disconnect anything but just lifteed and turned it over on iTS side) I was able to disconnect the old NAVII cable and pull it out thru theSingray GPS mount. I then fed the new cable in and then one by one disconnected the three old ends of the cable and plugged in the new NAVIV cable. It was completely plug and play. Have not yet played sound thru the system since bike is still apart and but the power function works perfectly with keyed powere or if key is turned off the GPS runs on internal battery. Will try some Music later today after I load some to the GPS as well will try the GPS simulation mode. Not sure if this mode is just visual or includes sound. I do not have Bluetooth but wired J&M headsets so this is another variable.

Dave T
I did not live to work....I only worked to live! Retired and living life our way!

K1200LT (Calamity)
06 Concours
03 Wing
99 Kaw Voyager
Suz GS750
Honda 750F & CL,XL 350

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2014, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
My 05 LT came with the Comm II system with the newer radio and bMW NAVII from the dealer. It has the round selection dial on the unit. The NAVIV has a different cradle and connection wires then my old NAVII which is the same for a NAVIII however, the NAVIV cradle mounts directly to the Stingray in the Same fashion as the II or III. When I removed the Stingray (just detached it but did not need to disconnect anything but just lifteed and turned it over on iTS side) I was able to disconnect the old NAVII cable and pull it out thru theSingray GPS mount. I then fed the new cable in and then one by one disconnected the three old ends of the cable and plugged in the new NAVIV cable. It was completely plug and play. Have not yet played sound thru the system since bike is still apart and but the power function works perfectly with keyed powere or if key is turned off the GPS runs on internal battery. Will try some Music later today after I load some to the GPS as well will try the GPS simulation mode. Not sure if this mode is just visual or includes sound. I do not have Bluetooth but wired J&M headsets so this is another variable.
That is good to know. If you think about it once you get thing back together, I'd appreciate hearing if everything works as you expect from an integration perspective. Have fun!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2014, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

Ok so the good news and the bad news. I've confirmed what others before me seem to have also determined. Even though the connections all match in the cables and wiring harness the NAVIV connected to my 05 CommII will let me hear directions thru the wired headset but not thru the speakers while music plays from the bike system and the media player on the IV will only stream music if you are paired to it via bluetooth headsets not wired. So only a 70 / 30 solution. I have music via radio or IPod via my DICE unit and voice directions only thru headset not speakers. Dammm! Still a workable solution just not optimal. I wonder what is different since from what I've determined an 07 or newer bike that came with theNAV IV does it all speakers as well as headset or is this not the case? Any word from someone who has a IV that was delivered that way from the dealer?

Dave T

K1200LT (Calamity)
06 Concours
03 Wing
99 Kaw Voyager
Suz GS750
Honda 750F & CL,XL 350
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2014, 8:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ok so the good news and the bad news. I've confirmed what others before me seem to have also determined. Even though the connections all match in the cables and wiring harness the NAVIV connected to my 05 CommII will let me hear directions thru the wired headset but not thru the speakers while music plays from the bike system and the media player on the IV will only stream music if you are paired to it via bluetooth headsets not wired. So only a 70 / 30 solution. I have music via radio or IPod via my DICE unit and voice directions only thru headset not speakers. Dammm! Still a workable solution just not optimal. I wonder what is different since from what I've determined an 07 or newer bike that came with theNAV IV does it all speakers as well as headset or is this not the case? Any word from someone who has a IV that was delivered that way from the dealer?
I am pretty sure that my Nav III only speaks through the headset. And only the rider headset at that. I wish my wife could hear so she could better help look for things when in congested areas. I think this is a limitation of the intercom system rather than the GPS, but not 100% sure on that point.

Sounds like your Nav IV is equaling what my Nav III does. I'd love to find a way to channel the GPS audio through the speakers and passenger headset, but have yet to find a way to do that.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 7 Old May 14th, 2016, 11:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I realize this is a two year old thread, but I am wondering if you have any pictures of the connections under the stingray? In particular, of the two-pin connector.

My Nav V harness has a different connector that my Nav III so it isn't plug and play, unless there is another currently unused connector hidden under the stingray somewhere that will fit this Nav V style connector (bottom right in the picure - the one with the blue "eyes"). I have not as yet found any such unused connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorcycle end of harnesses Nav III top Nav V bottom.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	106730  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in