1200 mile inspection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 4:15 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

1200 mile inspection

Greetings everyone. I have a question about the valve clearance check on an '02 K1200LT. When is it done? It's embarrassing but my mileage is only around 12600 after all these years. I'll fix that soon, if it warms up a bit.

Being lazy and cold I took advantage of a local dealers winters specials and had brake service, tires, and a 12000 mile service done. Free pickup and delivery. Looking over the invoice I notice nothing about valves. Called and the rep told me no, valves get checked at 16000 miles. All references I can find point to 12000. Have things changed? It's certainly possible I'm confused. How about trans and final drive oil?

Thanks!

John

Of course the title should be "12000 mile inspection". Sorry.

Last edited by johnbrock; Mar 7th, 2014 at 4:24 pm. Reason: Error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Re: 1200 mile inspection

Probably just a valve clearance check at 12k miles, but the transmission and final drive gear oil should be changed.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 6:20 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, 12k is what I thought, for the valves and other two oils. I'll continue to research, and ill call the service manager tomorrow. I didn't specifically mention valves beforehand as I thought it was part of the 12k inspection.

John

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 6:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I think they did change the interval to 16 K for valve checks but I have no documentation to show that. The brakes are important. Tranny is 24 K and the rear drive is very easy to do and can be done almost four times with a quart of oil. The best reason to change it is to look at the drain plug magnet - grey fuzz = good; shiny stuff = bad.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 6:50 pm

I think because of the age of the bike, and probably the last fluid change date, I would replace engine (oil + filter), transmission, final drive, and as John eluded brake fluid for the brake circuit AND the clutch circuit.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #6 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 7:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 12000 mile inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I think they did change the interval to 16 K for valve checks but I have no documentation to show that. The brakes are important.....
Thank you. sir. 16k wouldn't surprise me, but I wonder where it's written. The little service booklet isn't set up for it! The brake service lured me in, I needed tires, and figured what the heck, let pros do the valves the first time. I wouldn't have gone for the 12000 mile service if I'd known it didn't include valves and all the oils. My fault, I'd assumed certain things would be done based on, well, every reference I had available, but I should have gone over it more with the service writer.

It's okay, just a reminder to get off my ass and take care of it myself!

John
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 7:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
I think because of the age of the bike, and probably the last fluid change date, I would replace engine (oil + filter), transmission, final drive, and as John eluded brake fluid for the brake circuit AND the clutch circuit.
Yes, I agree. They did the brakes and clutch, I'll do the transmission and final drive, and the valves too, like I just should have done in the first place. Just wish there were a little more room in the garage. And maybe a little warmer, too!

John
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 5:52 am

When I purchased my 05 the interval was 12,000 to check the valves.
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 7:40 am

I have an 09 and had the 12k service done last year. The Mothership moved the valve check to the 18k check

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #10 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 10:55 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I haven't called yet but it's looking like maintenance schedules have indeed been changed up a bit. My mistake for assuming a 12k service was what it used to be, but damn that was a whole boatload of money and I thought I'd be getting a little more.

From the wisdom of the forum I should have known better and been a little more careful. If I can get something in writing about changed intervals I'll post it.

John
post #11 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrock View Post

I haven't called yet but it's looking like maintenance schedules have indeed been changed up a bit. My mistake for assuming a 12k service was what it used to be, but damn that was a whole boatload of money and I thought I'd be getting a little more.

From the wisdom of the forum I should have known better and been a little more careful. If I can get something in writing about changed intervals I'll post it.

John
I have all BMW manuals for both generation: in PDF for 1999-2004 and as Windows application for 2005-2009 and nothing is changed in either. Also, had access for many years (not anymore) to service-bulletin(s) and I have never seen a change there either.

In reality, this is not critical - experience shows that checking at 12,000 miles will often leads to measurements that requires a change (in shim/bucket) only every 24,000 or 36,000 miles on average. So it is a moot point to extend this to 16 or 18k miles.

For you, WHAT IS CRITICAL, is to do the ABS modulator bleeding every year even if you do not ride it. The IABS system (with Servos) is partially ventend into the air (wheel circuits reservoir) and experience shows that extending this will often leads to higher failure rate of these modulators.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrock View Post

John
A lot of time/labor is spent removing the Tupperware, and even more if the tank has to come off for a fuel and air filters replacement.
That is when your time becomes valuable!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #13 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 1:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I did all my checks at 12 K and did not have to adjust any buckets until 48 K and did three buckets then. The next one at 62 K and one more at 76 K.

I am thinking now it is the K1600 that has the 16 K interval.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 14 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 8:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

All is well.....

Greetings, To recap, I asked, on the phone (pickup and delivery), after a 12k service, how the valves were. Was told no, that's now 16k.

I emailed the service manager and got a nice reply that the rep I talked to was new, mistaken, 12k is where the valves are checked and indeed they were. In spec, but did not have specifics. Everything on the check sheets and in the service booklet are as they always have been.

Thanks all for the comments and recommendations! The brakes and clutch was serviced there and I'll do the rear drive tomorrow. I spent the nice warmer day cleaning the big girl and doing the shift linkage, which really needed it.

Thanks again. I've learned a lot here over the years.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in