Bad OČ sensor? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Bad OČ sensor?

Hello to all,

I'm currently base lining my new to me 99' k1200lt with 42k miles on it.

So far I've checked the air filter, plug wires, and plugs.

I've several things that concern me of a failing oxygen sensor they are as follows:

1) So far in the 500ish miles that I've ridden it I've managed to maintain a 30mpg average. The highest I ever got was about 32 mpg running 70 mph 1 up with no additional gear.

2) There is the smell of unspent fuel while running.

3) I looked at the spark plug after running the bike momentarily to check for spark escaping from compromised plug wires, or plugs and found a light coating of fuel on the plug. I also noted that the piston has some carbon build up as well.

4) I haven't noticed any hesitation anywhere in the band, but there is a distinct engine vibration in every gear between 4.5k and 5k rpms. Although this seems to be a common occurrence as many have noted in this forum out is usually noticed at 4k-4.5k rpms which may also be a sign that I'm running rich since that seems to be the beginning of the power band and it is taking just a bit longer for my engine to clear it's throat so that it can breathe more freely.

I don't anticipate a large mpg gain by changing oil although it's due. I will change it before the next ride. I plan to use 4 qts. of fully synthetic castrol 20w50 but am open to suggestions.

At this point I feel like the OČ sensor is the most likely culprit. If those of you that have more experience with these machines agree I plan to replace mine with a bosch 13477 if that's permissible.

Thanks for all of the help!

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Re: Bad OČ sensor?

My 99LT got 33mpg and lots of black smoke during hard excell , but ran well with a bad O2 sensor ( pinched wire) Replaced with Bosch universal with wire splices mileage went to 47 - 50 mpg. Also replaced plugs with Iridiam ones.

Bob G
1999 LT sold
2011 RT
post #3 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 5:31 pm
cws

Garage

Wondering whether a GS-911 would help here.... playing with my new one I learned about Lamda and the o2 sensor and watched it working on the live graph.... http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/lambda

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob View Post
My 99LT got 33mpg and lots of black smoke during hard excell , but ran well with a bad O2 sensor ( pinched wire) Replaced with Bosch universal with wire splices mileage went to 47 - 50 mpg. Also replaced plugs with Iridiam ones.

Bob G
1999 LT sold
2011 RT
Now if I could just watch my tailpipe while riding a wheelie! :-)

I appreciate the info. Btw we're not that far from one another, I'm in k.c.k.

Last edited by superstan26; Mar 4th, 2014 at 5:39 pm.
post #5 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Wondering whether a GS-911 would help here.... playing with my new one I learned about Lamda and the o2 sensor and watched it working on the live graph.... http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/lambda
It probably would, but I doubt it'll be helping me for this one $$$. Maybe next time? :-)
post #6 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 6:55 pm

My notes say the Bosch O2 sensor number is 13475. At least that's what ole Toad has as a replacement for the OEM. Maybe things have changed, butt verify first it you can. Good luck.
post #7 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
My notes say the Bosch O2 sensor number is 13475. At least that's what ole Toad has as a replacement for the OEM. Maybe things have changed, butt verify first it you can. Good luck.
I think you're right Dick. The plug was different in the number I posted. Thanks again!
post #8 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 7:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dale if you'll wait until it's warm outside (about two weeks maybe???) I would ride down and hook up my 911 for you, or meet somewhere in Lawrence and do the same. Send me a PM if interested. I'm just southeast of Topeka.

post #9 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 9:02 pm

What would be best way to remove a sensor that seems to be difficult to come out. Put some significant torque on it but won't budge to back it out. Affraid of stripping out the treads.

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #10 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Dale if you'll wait until it's warm outside (about two weeks maybe???) I would ride down and hook up my 911 for you, or meet somewhere in Lawrence and do the same. Send me a PM if interested. I'm just southeast of Topeka.
Hi Dean,
I appreciate the offer! I received a similar offer from another member I may just change the sensor first and if that doesn't fix it get in contact with one of you.

Turns to ask for your generosity, and assistance!
post #11 of 38 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 11:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpip View Post
What would be best way to remove a sensor that seems to be difficult to come out. Put some significant torque on it but won't budge to back it out. Affraid of stripping out the treads.
Get it hot and apply penetrating oil. Then let it set overnight. If that doesn't do it, tap it lightly a hundred times or so (not kidding) with a tack hammer on the flats.

post #12 of 38 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Looks like the OČ sensor fixed me! My mpg was near 40 this morning, and steadily climbing. I'm loving this bike!
post #13 of 38 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstan26 View Post
Looks like the OČ sensor fixed me! My mpg was near 40 this morning, and steadily climbing. I'm loving this bike!
Thank you for the follow-up on this ;-)

Of course with the bad fuel mileage you had mentioned in your 1st post, this would be the most probable cause.

Assuming the air-filter is clean (and air intake not blocked by any critter), -AND- assuming the rest is in acceptable shape (plugs, compression, valve adjust), then only the Oxygen-sensor makes a big diff. Unless someone has played with hall-effect rotor position, the timing cannot be suddenly off.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #14 of 38 Old Mar 11th, 2014, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Thank you for the follow-up on this ;-)

Of course with the bad fuel mileage you had mentioned in your 1st post, this would be the most probable cause.

Assuming the air-filter is clean (and air intake not blocked by any critter), -AND- assuming the rest is in acceptable shape (plugs, compression, valve adjust), then only the Oxygen-sensor makes a big diff. Unless someone has played with hall-effect rotor position, the timing cannot be suddenly off.
I checked all of the afore mentioned prior to replacing my sensor with the exception of the hall effect. The OČ sensor looked like someone got frustrated trying to install it (not sure why that would happen :-) it was damaged in more than one area like it had been smacked with a wrench, or squeezed with pliers possibly. Either way I'm glad to see the numbers rising.

Now if I could just figure out why my average speed doesn't change to the current speed if reset while riding...
post #15 of 38 Old Apr 29th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Garage
Re: Bad O2 sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstan26 View Post
Looks like the O2 sensor fixed me! My mpg was near 40 this morning, and steadily climbing. I'm loving this bike!

Now if I could just figure out why my average speed doesn't change to the current speed if reset while riding...
2 questions:
1. Is it possible to remove the O2 sensor without taking the exhaust off the bike? I can't seem to get much leverage in that tight space.
Flats are starting to round.

2. 7/8" or 22mm?

Thanks.

Doug B.
2000 LT purchased July 2013
post #16 of 38 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 8:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb131 View Post
2 questions:
1. Is it possible to remove the O2 sensor without taking the exhaust off the bike? I can't seem to get much leverage in that tight space.
Flats are starting to round.

2. 7/8" or 22mm?

Thanks.
You do have the special sensor socket with the slot for the wire, right? If not, give strong consideration to buying one. Makes a sometimes challenging job much less challenging.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #17 of 38 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 8:47 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You do have the special sensor socket with the slot for the wire, right? If not, give strong consideration to buying one. Makes a sometimes challenging job much less challenging.
Yes. I bought a 6-sided, 7/8" sensor socket from Harbor Freight yesterday.
It seems quite loose. I can only use it in one position. then the breaker bar hits the frame piece.

I'll get a hopefully better one today from NAPA.
Also thinking about getting a crowfoot 22mm.

I've also been doing the heat/PB'laster for two days now.

Doug B.
post #18 of 38 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Garage

Quote:
Yes. I bought a 6-sided, 7/8" sensor socket from Harbor Freight yesterday.
It seems quite loose. I can only use it in one position. then the breaker bar hits the frame piece.

I'll get a hopefully better one today from NAPA.
Also thinking about getting a crowfoot 22mm.

I've also been doing the heat/PB'laster for two days now.
Got it out! I guess the PB'laster needed another day go get through the rust.

Doug B.
post #19 of 38 Old May 1st, 2014, 12:13 am

It's a 22mm

Speed doesn't kill - Sudden impact does
post #20 of 38 Old May 6th, 2014, 7:44 am

Recently, I've noticed that I seem to be using a bit more fuel than usual. Could that indicate the O2 sensor is not working as it should?

Is there a 'universal' type we can use rather than the official Bosch sensor? Down here, the Bosch/BMW sensors cost almost USD250 each. I have found a, sensibly priced, Universal sensor from Delphi which has four wires. Will that work?

Thanks.

1999 BMW K1200LT "Galatea"
1976 MERCEDES-BENZ 280S "Lady Genevieve"
1993 MERCEDES-BENZ S320 "Lady Audrey"

Last edited by martin280s; May 6th, 2014 at 8:10 am.
post #21 of 38 Old May 6th, 2014, 10:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Bosch 13475 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment, about $70 from Amazon. Direct replacement, no wire splicing.

Motor On ,/'

post #22 of 38 Old May 8th, 2014, 6:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1 View Post
Bosch 13475 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment, about $70 from Amazon. Direct replacement, no wire splicing.
Unfortunately, Amazon is not readily accessible in Brazil plus delivery times and import taxes are prejudical. My last purchase in the US took nealy 5 months to arrive!

I went to a autofactors this week but they were unable to find this Bosch code. they told me there are some numbers missing. they also asked me how many wires are attached to the sensor. Can anyone inform me?

Thanks, Martin

post #23 of 38 Old May 8th, 2014, 8:23 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin280s View Post
Unfortunately, Amazon is not readily accessible in Brazil plus delivery times and import taxes are prejudical. My last purchase in the US took nealy 5 months to arrive!

I went to a autofactors this week but they were unable to find this Bosch code. they told me there are some numbers missing. they also asked me how many wires are attached to the sensor. Can anyone inform me?

Thanks, Martin
4 wires.
2 white
1 black
1 brown.

I got mine from BeemerBonyard:
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/11781464492n.html

Doug B.
post #24 of 38 Old May 8th, 2014, 8:37 am

Quote:

Thanks, Martin
The full Bosch part number for this sensor is "0 258 003 475". because these are often classified as OEM original for BMW motorcycles, your automotive Bosch reseller may not have it on file.

Another option is to fit an universal 4 wires Bosch heated sensor that comes with a kit to splice your wires and insert a 4 pins sealed connector in between. The generic number for this is 15727 - these are less expensive than the full one with the OEM black connector, but they do the same job. See this page for a detailled picture:
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/o2-bmwu.htm

Lastly, I have not tested this, but I have been told that the sensor for a car BMW 330i (2004) has the same specs, same connector, and is just a few inch longer wire. In fact, most 4 wires Bosch heated sensor are all the same except for (1) the wire length and (2) the type of connector at the end.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #25 of 38 Old May 8th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Everyone,
Thanks for all that helpful information. I accessed the MTE Thomson customer service chat line today and they informed me their part number is 7836.40.057.
I'm going to have a look tomorrow to see if I can get one locally.
Thanks again.

post #26 of 38 Old May 9th, 2014, 11:30 am

Quote:
4 wires.
2 white
1 black
1 brown.

I got mine from BeemerBonyard:
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/11781464492n.html
Unfortunately, it appears that the specific Bosch or MTE sensors are not available locally. However, the universal Bosch sensor 0 258 986 507 has two white wires, one black and one grey. I presume the grey partners the brown.(?)

post #27 of 38 Old May 9th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Quote:
Unfortunately, it appears that the specific Bosch or MTE sensors are not available locally. However, the universal Bosch sensor 0 258 986 507 has two white wires, one black and one grey. I presume the grey partners the brown.(?)
No polarity on heater wires (both are white on Universal sensor).
Easy instructions exist to help you cut / install and match wire from Bosch. In fact, instructions could also be in the box when you receive it.

As a brief video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1Hki6-NHw

OR as a more detailed PDF document:
http://www.boschautoparts.com/BAP_Te...allGDWEB09.pdf

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #28 of 38 Old May 9th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Thanks John.

post #29 of 38 Old May 13th, 2014, 6:51 am

I swapped the O2 sensor for a universal one since the specific model was not available. To do so, I disconnected the battery. Swapping the part itself is not difficult, tedious is getting to it. While the panels were off, I did lubricate the gear linkage too... a huge difference there.

However, when I took the bike for a spin, she was popping and banging, no acceleration and the very fact of the engine running seemed to be hard work! Upon returning to the garage, I turned her off and mulled! Upon restarting, she seemed better. The idle is firm at 1,000 rpm, although on the motorway, the trip meter says I'm using more fuel but I haven't got the same amount of soot on the exhaust tip and the autonomy seems to be the same, not yet sure if better. I conclude less fuel being burnt. Although, I now have an intermittant flat spot between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm which causes a slight hesitance then surge back to normal acceleration.

Anyone have any suggestions why this strange behaviour?
Thanks in advance.

post #30 of 38 Old May 13th, 2014, 7:39 am

Garage

Quote:
I swapped the O2 sensor for a universal one since the specific model was not available. To do so, I disconnected the battery. Swapping the part itself is not difficult, tedious is getting to it. While the panels were off, I did lubricate the gear linkage too... a huge difference there.

However, when I took the bike for a spin, she was popping and banging, no acceleration and the very fact of the engine running seemed to be hard work! Upon returning to the garage, I turned her off and mulled! Upon restarting, she seemed better. The idle is firm at 1,000 rpm, although on the motorway, the trip meter says I'm using more fuel but I haven't got the same amount of soot on the exhaust tip and the autonomy seems to be the same, not yet sure if better. I conclude less fuel being burnt. Although, I now have an intermittant flat spot between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm which causes a slight hesitance then surge back to normal acceleration.

Anyone have any suggestions why this strange behaviour?
Thanks in advance.
Did you reset the TPS sensor after you hooked the battery back up? Turn key to on, but don't start the engine. Fully open and close the throttle 2 times. Turn key off. Start as usual.

Doug B.
post #31 of 38 Old May 13th, 2014, 7:53 am

Quote:
Did you reset the TPS sensor after you hooked the battery back up? Turn key to on, but don't start the engine. Fully open and close the throttle 2 times. Turn key off. Start as usual.
Yes, I did do that too. Exactly as you mention above.

post #32 of 38 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Is this an OEM tool you speak of? Can I find it elsewhere cheaper?

Thanks.

Current:
2000 BMW K1200LT - "Like riding on a rail"
Previous:
1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate - "Gas, oil and Go"
1979 Harley Sportster - "Always broken, always fixing"
1978 Yamaha 500 - "Training wheels"
post #33 of 38 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Garage

Swapping my O2 sensor didn't make any difference in my fuel mileage. I'm still around 32MPG after 2 tanks. I have yet to get a long distance ride in though.
Mostly 9 mile commute.
I also swapped in new Iridium plugs at same time. Old plugs were black and wet, not brown.

Engine has about 40,000 miles. Dealer replaced and adjusted the TPS previously. Is that the same as the Hall Effect Sensor?

Doug B.
post #34 of 38 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 3:02 pm

It turned out that the strange behaviour was related to an air leak. The bike in now in the workshop, in pieces waiting the the 'grace of BMW' to deliver said part. It's been 20 days now. I thought about importing the part idependently, but that can take even longer and the cost was no less. So, I just have to wait!

post #35 of 38 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 8:11 am

Garage

Quote:
It turned out that the strange behaviour was related to an air leak. The bike in now in the workshop, in pieces waiting the the 'grace of BMW' to deliver said part. It's been 20 days now. I thought about importing the part idependently, but that can take even longer and the cost was no less. So, I just have to wait!
Martin, I sent you a PM.

Doug B.
post #36 of 38 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 9:31 am

Quote:
Swapping my O2 sensor didn't make any difference in my fuel mileage. I'm still around 32MPG after 2 tanks. I have yet to get a long distance ride in though.
Mostly 9 mile commute.
I also swapped in new Iridium plugs at same time. Old plugs were black and wet, not brown.

Engine has about 40,000 miles. Dealer replaced and adjusted the TPS previously. Is that the same as the Hall Effect Sensor?
To answer your last Question: TPS will measure the throttle opening (0 to 90 degrees roughly speaking). The HALL-Effect is in front of engine for the ignition timing (for signal to coil and plugs). Basically, the HALL-Effect sensor replaces the old ignition-points mechanical system of much older motorcycles (up to roughly 1980+).

To help pinpoint your problem, I would suggest you either:
(1) find a member with a GS911 to read fault codes and graph the oxygen-sensor data in real-time
(2) got to a good BMW dealer and ask them to to the same as above with their diagnostic computer.

In many cases, when a condition is such that the air-fuel mixture is disturbed (wrong fuel-pressure, defective Oxygen sensor, air leaks in intake...), the Motronic-ECU will log 1 or more faults that you can read with GS911. This can give you a starting point to troubleshoot.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #37 of 38 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 5:29 pm

I had exactly same problems and got the o2 lambda sensor changed this week, it was solid in exhaust mechanic had to remove exhaust to heat it etc to remove,
but it was all worth it 50 mpg 2 up now no more black smoke etc tickover was also reduced and cut out a few times on gear changes, that is all cured now, thanks to the help of the guys on this forum for their help, good luck but I,d get o2 changed
post #38 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Unfortunately, Amazon is not readily accessible in Brazil...
While researching causes for my LT's recent spate of 38 mpg runs, several mpg below its usual fuel consumption rate, I noticed this irony. <Insert smiley face here.>

Now, back to business.

-Richard S.
2000 K1200LT Champagne
2004 R1150RT Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in