what is this thing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 1st, 2014, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

what is this thing

Wow, I am starting to feel like a whiner! I cannot find this box listed in my manuel. Directly behind the ABS control box is a square box looking thingie with a wire to the battery and a bunch of smaller wires coming out of the top of it. This is all under the seat but can only be seen after removing all left side plastic.
Oil started leaking out of it today, bout a half a cup so far and if I did not know better it seems to be a transformer or something of that nature.
At any rate bike is dead when key is turned on so whatever it does must be important. Anybody know what it is ? O 1999 1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 1st, 2014, 10:12 pm

Talking Re: what is this thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicoboy View Post
Wow, I am starting to feel like a whiner! I cannot find this box listed in my manuel. Directly behind the ABS control box is a square box looking thingie with a wire to the battery and a bunch of smaller wires coming out of the top of it. This is all under the seat but can only be seen after removing all left side plastic.
Oil started leaking out of it today, bout a half a cup so far and if I did not know better it seems to be a transformer or something of that nature.
At any rate bike is dead when key is turned on so whatever it does must be important. Anybody know what it is ? O 1999 1200LT
They call it the backup assist and it's expensive.

I have a used one off of my '03 K1200lt. If interested PM me. I haven't done any homework on what it's worth just yet. New is $1384.00.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 7:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: what is this thing

Take a look on EBay also, there are always a few available.

Just looked 3-4 for around $130

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Hey guts, thanks, did finally find it in my manuel. I did in fact find them on Ebay also.Thought I would try and see if it would run with the cable not hooked to the battery. Good news was that it started, bad news was that something forward started smoking, took about twenty seconds to disconnect the battery. Wife says now ya done it. I hate that (when she is right lol).
Starting to take more apart to see what I might have fried, have a new module coming and can put that in first but that might have been too late on disconnecting the battery. Gotta wonder what I fried now.#^%@[email protected]#$
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:58 am

Darn Richard, some people just can't get a break! Sorry for your smoke.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 1:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK. If you had a low battery and then charged it up and hooked the battery up and it started right up, then there was smoke forward you may have welded starter relay contacts. The starter was most likely still running after the bike started (hard to hear it). That has a tendency to melt the wires going to the starter relay. I worked on one that the guy had actually driven the bike until the battery finally died from the starter still running. Had to pull the tank and strip back the harness to separate the melted wires. But the bike was OK after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	50466   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	50474  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Actually first my battery was completely dead, dead ,dead. Found a puddle of oil underneath the center stand and finally figured out it was the reverse module had leaked all fluid and was shorted out maybe? So hooked up the charger and it would not take a charge. Took battery out charged it up, put it back in and removed the red positive connection from the module to the battery. It did start but it also started smoking, shut it down, pulled ground cable and went and cried.
No actually I pulled the seat, tank etc and lo and behold I had smoked a bunch of wires to the relays. Son of a bitch I say. Well I am currently trying to find on ebay etc a used reverse module and the entire wiring harness for the rear with relays for the bike.
Living in Mexico has taught me some patience and the attitude that it is all good . Still love the bike and it will roll again.
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 9:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The shots I posted had several wires melted together, but once we separated the wires and wrapped some tape on the bare spots the bike was fine. It may not be as bad as you think.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:05 pm

You mean to tell me we have an oil filled reversing module? I thought only big electrical transformers were oil filled!

53 MPG and life just keeps getting better

2001 Triumph Sprint ST [sold]
2000 K1200LT 'Nimitz'
post #10 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

Turned out not to be oil but all the electrical parts inside, like partitions in a computer fried so much it looked like oil. Ordering a used wiring harness and used module from Colorado.
Will report back when running, it fried so many wires by the relays that you could not tell which wire went where.
My wife is making me turn it over to a german mechanic who just happens to live here. I did not learn my lesson , thank you very much LOL!
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2014, 7:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If it was that bad then you are doing the right thing on the harness.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2014, 9:03 pm

But what caused the problem in the first place? Shouldn't that be found rather quickly after the new (used) harness is installed so the same thing doesn't happen again?
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

That is what worries me, I cannot find a good wiring diagram to download. However have met somebody who used to work for the phone company and has extensive rewiring experience.
He told mr the same thing stating that only the starter or alternator had enough voltage to melt wires like it did.
When I originally purchased it the mechanic had ordered a relay part that would control the speed of the reverser. What would happen is that you could use reverse but it was not controllable, in other words it went too fast but would work.
I only used reverse one time, it was at night and the lights dimmed and it caused a really big draw down.
Next thing I knew a couple of days later the reverse module burnt up and appeared to be a leak.
Where I probably messed up was, after noticing the leak and turning on the key it was all dead. I charged the battery
Probably should have known something was wrong as it would not charge in the bike.
When I reinstalled the battery I dis- connected the positive lead for the reverser.
That is when I smoked it. So what I believe I did was cause some sort of circuit overload with out having the circuit completed.
Feel kind of dumb (real dumb actually) but may be in safe hands as this guy may be able to help me by checking out and looking for a short before I burn it up again.
New used reverse module coming today along with a used rear wiring harness and the fun will begin. Jeez I really did not want to know this much about the bike but perhaps info will help me later on right?
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 7:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

What happens is well known. The starter relay will weld its contacts together if you try to start the bike with a weak battery. Once that happens the relay, even if it breaks the weld, is no good and will re-weld at the drop of a hat. Then when the fresh battery is installed and the relay is either still welded the starter turns or it will re-weld on the first attempt to start. Either way if the starter runs for any length of time it will melt wires.

The new style relay has a voltage sensor built in that prevents engagement of the relay under a certain voltage so this will not happen.

mexicoboy had two separate issues the reverser controller, and the starter relay. They could be related as there are interlock switches on the R-F shaft that isolates the starter signal from the starter relay and sends it to the reverser controller. If those were bypassed by a previous owner then having both the controller and the starter relay operating at he same time could have fried the unit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 17 Old Mar 13th, 2014, 12:57 am Thread Starter

Well turns out you are exactly correct. The switch went out called the actuating unit for the reverser and it was bypassed. Just found out today from previous mechanic. What I want to know now is can I ride it after getting it rewired and just not use reverse at all?
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 13th, 2014, 7:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicoboy View Post
Well turns out you are exactly correct. The switch went out called the actuating unit for the reverser and it was bypassed. Just found out today from previous mechanic. What I want to know now is can I ride it after getting it rewired and just not use reverse at all?
It depends on how it was bypassed. As one side of the switches closes the ground to the starter relay coil to allow the button to control it and opens to prevent it from operating in reverse. The other switch closes a circuit in the controller in reverse to make it send the current when you press the starter button.

The SAFEST thing to do is wire it all back up except the three thick Black w/yellow stripe wires from the controller. Just tape off the ends and leave them loose. Then some day if you replace the micro switches on the R-F shaft you can always wire them back up

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 17 Old Mar 14th, 2014, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

My My, well we got it back together, completely, all plastic etc .and touched the negative cable to the battery, could hear a noise of something cycling that I guessed was fuel pump. Turned key on and heard something else so turned it off. All indicator lights were still on even with key off.
O crap I have seen this before so we disconnected battery again. No smoke this time but we start over again.
My first thought was why were lights still on with key off? Bad ignition switch or starter shorted out?
Had not read previous post about taping wires off to the reverser switch before we did this so will try that after we start chasing wires in the front end.
Amazing to me that you can forget the placement of plastic parts as to what order they go back on in only a week , JEEZZZZZZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in