stalling and stop running - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 12:35 am Thread Starter

stalling and stop running

Ok, what has happened to me a couple of times is coming up to a stop sign or maybe just a stop and turn is the engine dies, fires right back up but kinda weird for a fuel injection, only other thing that occurs is that it will sometimes between gears just fall on its face as it were staggering and then catching again. No way it is a vapor lock right?
If it were a carburetor I would look at float adjustment and accelerator pump. I am lost on fuel injection, guessing maybe fuel filter.
This is a 1999 1200 LT new to me. So far I have removed the canister thing and the air box sensor, re adjusted the throttle sensor by turning it full on and off three times with the key on. Before I got it they put in new plugs, wires and coil or dist cap,whatever the wires come out of.
Anybody experience anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 12:56 am

Re: stalling and stop running

Sounds like the engine temp (not water temp) sensor. Behind the number four cylinder, screwed into the engine block.

If the bike runs fine when cold, and you get these symptoms after it's warmed up, then that's probably the culprit.

I had the same problem; after riding 5 miles or so, the engine would just cut out on me. If I stoped at a light, it would just die. Let it cool - would run fine.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Will take a look at that for sure, It does it when colder more that when it is hot. Lot of sensors on this machine no?

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 9:50 am

Had the same problem for years and spent a ton of money trying to fix. Turned out to be a loose connection near the battery!
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Hey Budzee, will check it out, nobody told me how much fun these were. Must have been a real pisser, good possibility as I have a battery drain going on also
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 10:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Check the fuel lines in the tank. I bet you have a split or loose line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

Hi Dean
I am getting ready to look into the fuel tank to look at filter, hose etc. Sounds good as does checking all grounds and connections.
We live in cozumel and while they now have a Napa store , well lets just say if they can order me a filter I will be very, very happy. I have the number so that should help.
Maybe not the best place to own a bike like this but we purchased it to tour the mainland of Mexico and that we shall.
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 27th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Had the same exact thing happen to me 3 years ago and lasted for months. This group had plenty of suggestions. Replaced the battery, the fuel filter/lines, O2 sensor, plugs; checked electrical connections. Other than the minor fact that it isn't happening any more (last year anyhow), I never did find the cause.

'15 GTLE

post #9 of 12 Old Feb 28th, 2014, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Well ,I might have gotten lucky. Saw what looked to be an oil leak on the right hand side. Pulled lower and middle plastic to expose right side of engine looking for an oil leak in a hose or something. Turned out the fuel line coming out of the bottom of the fuel pump had a small leak out of the inside fuel line. Clamp turned out to be loose. Upon tightening it up the throttle response got better. One thing for sure is that if battery dies or is dis- connected then it is a must to do the throttle position re set.
Charging the battery now and will drive it today or tomorrow but so far I believe it is fixed. Fuel pressure must be such that if it drops at all computer will not like it. Interesting bike for sure.
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 28th, 2014, 5:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like your fuel pump is about worn out if a slight leak caused those symptoms. Have to pressure check it to be sure. Should show 51 PSI or close to it. I would still check the in tank hoses.

post #11 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2014, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

I might have to do that, will not run anymore today as some kind of box looking thing right behind the abs controller has sprung a leak. this box has a cable to the positive side of the battery and then a bunch of small wires running out of it. Have no idea what it is or why it has fluid in it. Some kind of transformer or something?
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2014, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Wow I think I found out what it was, Control unit for reverser, why would it have oil in it and if it fails will it cause electrical problems?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in