Was thinking of selling... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Was thinking of selling...

For awhile, I've thought of selling my 2000 lt. My wife's health isn't good and she seldom rides and if she does no more than an hour or so, so I felt I didn't need such a heavy tourer. I even listed it on craigs list and here a coupla' times. Set it out by my barbers for a few days. I thought I'd like a Suzuki weestrom for versatility, ease of transport. Then...I'd take a little ride. I have had a lot of bikes, but never one as comfortable as this old LT. And, the old thing really moves. If you run into fresh gravel, it's not much fun at all...can't comfortably leave the paved roads...but, on the pavement it's a pretty wonderful ride. The other thing is the market is awful on LT's. I've put a lot of time and money into this bike and have a lot of spare parts and special tools. I know what I've got...a dependable, comfortable long-term bike. It's worth a lot more than I can get for it and it's paid for. I guess I'll just have to start saving my pennies and get a weestrom "on the side" and give up on my misguided attempts to off load a perfectly great bike. I know this seems kinda' strange, but, I just had to unload.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Was thinking of selling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lartross View Post
For awhile, I've thought of selling my 2000 lt. My wife's health isn't good and she seldom rides and if she does no more than an hour or so, so I felt I didn't need such a heavy tourer. I even listed it on craigs list and here a coupla' times. Set it out by my barbers for a few days. I thought I'd like a Suzuki weestrom for versatility, ease of transport. Then...I'd take a little ride. I have had a lot of bikes, but never one as comfortable as this old LT. And, the old thing really moves. If you run into fresh gravel, it's not much fun at all...can't comfortably leave the paved roads...but, on the pavement it's a pretty wonderful ride. The other thing is the market is awful on LT's. I've put a lot of time and money into this bike and have a lot of spare parts and special tools. I know what I've got...a dependable, comfortable long-term bike. It's worth a lot more than I can get for it and it's paid for. I guess I'll just have to start saving my pennies and get a weestrom "on the side" and give up on my misguided attempts to off load a perfectly great bike. I know this seems kinda' strange, but, I just had to unload.
Had to unload because you couldn't unload it?

I know how you feel. I have put lots of money into mine and am facing a lot more probably. I had one 5th gear clutch slip incident last summer, but never could repeat it during the fall so I decided against a preemptive clutch job. I hope I don't regret this as I travel to Nova Scotia this summer!

However, after renting a GTL last summer to ride the alps, it just didn't impress as much as I thought it would. Came back and decided that overall I liked the LT better. Don't get me wrong, the GTLs power us very fun, but you just don't often need that for two-up touring. And the creature comfort of the GTL simply doesn't match the LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Nothing much to say but I saw your bike several times a while back on my favorite route up and down 377. Great road and good looking bike.

Regards, james

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 9:14 pm

That's the dilemma I had with my 99 Suzuki Intruder LC. I customized everything from paint to chrome wheels. I put some $$ in it. It's a very comfortable bike. Just not a 2 up touring bike. Well. I got the LT. And thought about selling it. But for what I got in it. It's reliable,comfortable.And I'm not gonna get out of it what I got in it. So. I kept it. Glad I did.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 9:56 pm

Quote:
I am just the opposite. I have been riding like my hair was on fire all these years, but now that I am on SS and Medicare, I decided to slow down and get a LT. Not that I would slow down much but it is a lot more comfy on the LT for these old war wounds.

Do LT guys ever get together for a ride or Tech day here in DFW?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

North Richland Hills, Texas (Ft Worth)

History:
2002 BMW K1200LT Green
2008 Honda ST1300 Red 20K miles, FOR SALE
2004 Honda Goldwing Standard restoration in progress
1981 Honda Goldwing Standard - Custom, Weber Carb FOR SALE
1977 Honda Goldwing Standard, ready for frame up restoration

Gone but not forgotten:
1983 Goldwing 1992 Goldwing 1994 BMW K1100LT 1994 Kawasaki KLX650 1989 Yamaha FJ1200. 1982 Honda 750SS. 1976 Honda CB550F. 1975 Honda CB350F. 1971 Honda CB350 twin. 1969 Yamaha DT250. 1971 Suzuki 185 Enduro. 1961 Vespa 125. 1959 Alstate scooter.
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Quote:
For awhile, I've thought of selling my 2000 lt.
Seems like a lot of folks downsize to the RT, did you ever do that comparison?

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Now then. Its guys like you who ruin it for all the younger guys without $25K disposable income.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 1:07 am

It was hard to get rid of my old '01 LT. After all, it had "only" 80,000 miles on the clock. I got rid of it because parts were going to become an issue (for instance, you cannot get a new ABS pump - the mothership is sold out).

Loved the bike, but at 13 years old, I just didn't want to do "vintage" any more. I ride by myself 60% of the time now, so I didn't need it as much either.

Well, plus my GTL is a total kick in the pants.... That being said, the LT was a fine touring bike.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 16 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 1:54 am

I can attest to the riding vintage remark. I just got my 07 LT last summer after parting with a 95 Triumph Sprint Sport 900. The old Triumph only had 7K when I got it in 2002 the bike had been in storage for nearly 5 years. When the dealer bought it back off me for his collection last year it only had 16K on it. The reason being is I spent more time trying to keep it running, had nothing but problems. But when it did go boy she was fast. But a person can only take so much fixing instead of riding so hence the LT. As the LT gets longer in the tooth and starts to become a pain no doubt she will go the same way. Even now I have to begin to look for a EHCS problem it won't deploy just get flashing light. And second the damn thing won't start. Press the button and it maybe cranks over once then stops, try again just the same one spin and stops. Hopefully these will be easy fixes. Oh I forgot the hemroid giving seat has to go big time never felt so much pain last year, a three hour trip almost crippled my a** Even after a day off it the pain came back within the first hour so no long trips planned for this year until it's fixed. I have fell in love with the GTL exclusive at the bike show but not the price tag here in Canada a whopping $35000 plus tax that's too much for such a short riding season up here, couldn't sell that to the wife.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #10 of 16 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Hey Chayside, I just bought my (new to me) 04 LT around your neck of the woods last month. Trailered it home to MB and now anxiously awaiting for this loooonnnngg winter to come to an end. I'm new to BMWs and can't wait to get out and have some fun.
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 27th, 2014, 1:58 am

To late now but if your ever back this way send a pm and we can meet up. Enjoy the LT. I was bitching about my couple of problems but overall it is the best bike I have owned. I seem to manage the weight OK, never had the wife on the back yet that may prove a challenge but there again she doesn't like bikes keeps telling me they are death traps. Oh well lots of people dead from car crashes also to prove a point check this out. http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&amp;modestbranding=1&amp;re l=0&amp;showinfo=0<http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&show info=0>

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 27th, 2014, 9:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

I hear ya, Larry. I think about moving up, down, sideways from time to time, but Finding a bike I like as well plus the resale value seems to leave me in the LT saddle. The fact that I have never ridden a bike that is as comfortable to me as the LT is, makes me pause every time.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 27th, 2014, 10:09 am Thread Starter

There's one other thing...this community is pretty nice. Y'all are pretty nice people. Leaving the bike-leaving the web sight? I don't know. I've stumbled through life with a very small crowd around me...but, it's nice interacting with similar minded people worldwide. Good day to y'all.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #14 of 16 Old Feb 27th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Quote:
There's one other thing...this community is pretty nice. Y'all are pretty nice people. Leaving the bike-leaving the web sight? I don't know. I've stumbled through life with a very small crowd around me...but, it's nice interacting with similar minded people worldwide. Good day to y'all.
just cause you get another bike.....you don't have to leave the forum!

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #15 of 16 Old Feb 28th, 2014, 12:34 am

There are plenty of cheap bikes for sale to fill that off road need. Never had a dull moment in her saddle. Wife never/rarely rides and wouldn't take a trip with me. I ride to work, the store, my friends place and you name it and I'm in the saddle weather permitting or not sometimes. You'll never find another group like this to help you with the bikes problems. I raise my glass to all of you. Thanks.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #16 of 16 Old Feb 28th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider View Post
just cause you get another bike.....you don't have to leave the forum!
+1. I have a GTL now, but still lurk.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in