BMW OEM battery/charger question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 1:55 pm Thread Starter
SEG

BMW OEM battery/charger question

Is the BMW OEM battery for an '09 LT, a lead-acid gel type? I'm considering using a CTEK US 3300 battery charger to keep the LT battery charged. Has anyone used the CTEK on an OEM battery? In late 2102, a BMW dealer replaced my old OEM battery with the following model: 61.21-2 346 800 Maintenance Free T612A0, which I believe is OEM. I have been using a Deltran charger made for BMW but I've also got the CTEK, which I also use on occasion for my car. I plan to use just the CTEK for car and motorcycle-but obviously not at the same time. Appreciate the assistance.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 3:42 pm

Re: BMW OEM battery/charger question

The OEM battery is a GEL type, and so is part #61.21-2 346 800. You should be fine with the CTEK, looking at the specifications it appears to be suitable for all vehicle battery types. I'm using the cheap HF battery maintainer and have had good results with lead acid, GEL and AGM batteries. The CTEK looks to be a much better product.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 6:11 pm

Use the CTEK 7200, works great. Use on all types of batteries. Also have a CTEK 25000 for heavy duty charging, just have to be careful with it due to charge rate. CTEK has great customer service. Believe warranty is 5 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 24th, 2014, 6:53 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Thank you for the advice.

Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:12 am

In reading the forum everybody talks allot about battery types and tenders to use but I have not seen yet where anybody talks about the reason these are needed.
My battery will go dead in two days with no tender and I really do not know where the draw is, I mean it must be constant to draw it down so quickly. Anybody know what might do that, or is it typical and why?
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 1:07 pm

There are some very small loads on the battery when off, but, they shouldn't cause a good battery to go flat in coupla' days. Maybe a few months...You've got some sort of problem. Bad battery or more likely something shorting to ground or an aftermarket fairly high current load.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Oh ok, thanks , 1999 1200lt. No aftermarket stuff at all, other than gps maybe. Have not had bike very long so do not know history. Will try battery although it charges at two amp for 12 hrs and reads full charge. With all the talk of tenders to keep battery charged I thought perhaps the computer had a constant draw or something of that nature.
I keep the ignition in the full lock position and no parking lights on or anything else. Will have to get it to shop to see what they can tell me. Here in Mexico shops are few and far between.
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 1:47 pm

Tenders can extend the life of your battery by keeping it at an optimal charge and if not frequently ridden, keep your battery fully charged. Those are some reasons many of us keep maintainers or trickle chargers. They're pretty cheap and work for a long time.

2006 DL650 [Red]
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Some of us are a little low on money, so, we fix our own. Not always a quick process, but, fun-ish...

2006 DL650 [Red]
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Per earlier post by John Z.

There is also an issue with mix matched controllers for the radio and the radio itself. If the software versions are not correct it can cause a big*drain*on the*battery. Here is how you check for it.

Turn on the radio and within 8 seconds push and hold down the "MAN" button on the stingray radio control panel. You'll see "SVOL" appear on the radio screen (controls your speed volume/rate of change and is adjustable from 1 to 4). Continue to hold down on the "MAN" button until you get an 8 character radio serial number displayed on the screen. Now release the "MAN" button.

Next, press and release the radio "SEEK" control on the handlebar. You should now see the radio software version (on the radio screen) that will look something like SV 0300, SV 0400, etc, up to SV 0700 meaning that the radio software version is 3.0, 4.0, etc.*

To get the RCU software version press the "MAN" button again and you should see either BID 2.0 or BID 3.0.*

If you have a RCU with version 2.0, it will work with any radio software version, and they are: 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 respectively. If you have a RCU with version 3.0, you WILL get thebattery*drain*problem if you do not have a radio with version 7.0 software. In order to keep the*battery*from discharging with a RCU version 3.0 and any other radio software version except 7.0 you must use a*Battery*Tender or some reasonable substitute, or religiously 1)turn off the radio first, and then 2)turn the key to the fork locking position each time you park the bike for any extended period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 25th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Hey good info on the radio, thanks. It is sv 0400, and a Bid2.00 so I should be good to go there. Will keep looking however as these are fun to work on, probably because of the challenge.
Wish there was a general info center like in a car on the radio , now that would be good. Still for 1999 a pretty good machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in