Increase Clutch Spring Pressure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 7:37 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Increase Clutch Spring Pressure

Now that I have replaced the clutch & have a better understanding of how the clutch slave cylinder works with the clutch diaphragm spring I think you can increase the spring pressure to compensate for the clutch disc wear.

I think if you install shims between the clutch slave cylinder & the transmission to compensate for the clutch disc wear you can gain the lost clutch diaphragm spring pressure back. You could stack the BMW 23122352156 gasket or make your own thicker gasket. Gasket material is available in many different thickness sizes.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 8:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Increase Clutch Spring Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Now that I have replaced the clutch & have a better understanding of how the clutch slave cylinder works with the clutch diaphragm spring I think you can increase the spring pressure to compensate for the clutch disc wear.

I think if you install shims between the clutch slave cylinder & the transmission to compensate for the clutch disc wear you can gain the lost clutch diaphragm spring pressure back. You could stack the BMW 23122352156 gasket or make your own thicker gasket. Gasket material is available in many different thickness sizes.
You think the slave is actually taking some of the spring pressure when the clutch lever is released as the clutch wears? That would be an stunningly stupid design if it is the case.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 8:52 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You think the slave is actually taking some of the spring pressure when the clutch lever is released as the clutch wears? That would be an stunningly stupid design if it is the case.
Like most hydraulic clutch systems there is no adjustment for clutch disc wear.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 8:58 am

Did you measure or get a sense of how much preload pressure is present? Are you suspecting excessive pressure is held against the pressure plate? I know on all the vehicles I've worked on with hydraulic clutches (many), there is preload when installing the slave cylinder, but it's abated by the fluid returning to the MC. Steve
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 9:41 am

the piston in the slave sits in a different position when the clutch is engaged as the clutch wears, the only issue is if the piston bottoms out and therefore could no longer allow the clutch to engage. As JZ has said the fluid will rise in the master as the clutch wears exactly the opposite as the brakes where the fluid level goes down as the pistons stay further out when the pads wear down. Hydraulic clutches in cars - fluid in reservoir goes down as clutch wears. The K clutch is fairly unique in design.

the adjustment in both systems is the amount of fluid between the master cylinder piston and the slave piston when the system is at rest

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Like most hydraulic clutch systems there is no adjustment for clutch disc wear.
Most I've seen were like disk brakes. The "adjustment" is the fluid level in the master cylinder.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 9:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45 View Post
the piston in the slave sits in a different position when the clutch is engaged as the clutch wears, the only issue is if the piston bottoms out and therefore could no longer allow the clutch to engage. As JZ has said the fluid will rise in the master as the clutch wears exactly the opposite as the brakes where the fluid level goes down as the pistons stay further out when the pads wear down. Hydraulic clutches in cars - fluid in reservoir goes down as clutch wears. The K clutch is fairly unique in design.

the adjustment in both systems is the amount of fluid between the master cylinder piston and the slave piston when the system is at rest
Exactly. That was my comment about a stupid design if the slave piston reaches end of travel and is thus always carrying load from the diaphragm spring.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45 View Post

!0-4, same as an automotive style diaphram or finger clutch. Still, Is JZ's contention that the clutch is still serviceable despite having reached a disc thickness that causes the slave to be fully compressed ? Steve
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Exactly. That was my comment about a stupid design if the slave piston reaches end of travel and is thus always carrying load from the diaphragm spring.
highly unlikely unless the engineers were asleep during design, once the disk hits minimum it is likely prone to slipping, personally I think the spring could be
stronger but ease of use and clutch bite are a trade off, if they had put a larger diameter slave on to compensate for a stronger spring would have required a larger master to move enough fluid to disengage properly - you would feel it with the left hand

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 3:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

In my case the slave was not bottomed out and the disc was still "inside" the wear limit but close to the edge. All my slip was caused by disc thickness being so thin (and a tiny bit of engine oil from the o-ring). This was always a 5th gear forced slip that could only be done once per attempt interval of 20 minutes or so before I could induce it again.

While I don't disagree with Dave's assertion, I don't think there would be much to be gained by shimming the slave. I believe the spring has a finite limit to what it can compress on disc thickness, slave or no slave present.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 6:31 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

All I know is that my disc was .010" from the wear limit & it would not engage until the clutch lever was released. I think if I had shimmed the slave cylinder out I could have changed the point that the clutch lever would start to engage the clutch disc & prevent some slipping.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 12 Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 9:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
All I know is that my disc was .010" from the wear limit & it would not engage until the clutch lever was released. I think if I had shimmed the slave cylinder out I could have changed the point that the clutch lever would start to engage the clutch disc & prevent some slipping.
If you try, let us know. I think the shims would just change the fluid level in your master cylinder as it accommodates the shims. Now if the piston is bottoming in its bore before the disk spring has applied its full force, then I agree that shims would help. I just can't believe BMW got the design that wrong, but anything is possible!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in