some questions from a newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 1:40 am Thread Starter

some questions from a newbie

I've been riding BMW's since '71 and still have the R75/5 that I bought new in '72. I finally decided to upgrade to a 2005 K1200LT last April. I love the bike and all its creature comforts; but I have some questions that I can't seem to get a straight answer on from our local shop.

1. I have just over 7,000 miles on the bike with the original tires. At the 6,000 mile service, the shop mgr tried to sell me on new tires, but there seems to be an awfully lot of tread left on these. One odd thing though -- the front tire is wearing with a series of bumps just to either side of center all the way around the tire. It is a Bridgestone BT020. When I asked the mechanic about this, he said, "It's just a BMW." Has anyone else had this experience?

2. When travelling at highway speeds, my GPS consistently records my speed as 4mph lower than the speedometer does. I suspect that the GPS is more accurate than the speedometer. Am I correct in that assumption?

3. If I take my hands off of the handle bars while it is deccellerating, it goes into a very severe shimmy. Once again, the shop mgr told be that that's just the way the LT is. Doesn't sound right to me. Is this a common problem with LT's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 1:50 am

Here is my take

Quote:
Originally Posted by magyar58
I've been riding BMW's since '71 and still have the R75/5 that I bought new in '72. I finally decided to upgrade to a 2005 K1200LT last April. I love the bike and all its creature comforts; but I have some questions that I can't seem to get a straight answer on from our local shop.

1. I have just over 7,000 miles on the bike with the original tires. At the 6,000 mile service, the shop mgr tried to sell me on new tires, but there seems to be an awfully lot of tread left on these. One odd thing though -- the front tire is wearing with a series of bumps just to either side of center all the way around the tire. It is a Bridgestone BT020. When I asked the mechanic about this, he said, "It's just a BMW." Has anyone else had this experience?

What you are seeing is either called cupping or feathering. It can happen from a couple of things. #1. What tire pressure are you running in your tires. Most here recommend 42 in the front and 48 in the rear. How much straight line riding are you doing? IIRC, running lots of high speed highway can cause this problem. Get it off in the twisties and give it a good ride.

Quote:
2. When travelling at highway speeds, my GPS consistently records my speed as 4mph lower than the speedometer does. I suspect that the GPS is more accurate than the speedometer. Am I correct in that assumption?
Your assumption is corrrect. The speedometer is off. You can search the Hall of Wisdom, HOW, for speedometer and to find out how to correct it or just use you GPS as you are already doing. This has been discussed ad nauseum on the old site and can be found in the archives.

Quote:
3. If I take my hands off of the handle bars while it is deccellerating, it goes into a very severe shimmy. Once again, the shop mgr told be that that's just the way the LT is. Doesn't sound right to me. Is this a common problem with LT's?

Most folks have seen this problem on the LT. Most of the time is has been corrected with either new tires or inflating the tires to the pressures listed above. I believe this is also in the HOW.

Enjoy the ride.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R

Enjoy the ride.
Good job brother Steve!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 3:33 pm

Answers
1#
Yes

2#
Yes

3#
Yes
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 3:44 pm

1- Yes
2- Yes
3- NO Yes, a few have had that problem, but I think it is far from "common" I think many less have had the oscillation problem than have had rear drive or slave cylinder failures, and even then usually tire related and solved with balance or tire replacement. I have seen only a couple posts that said it was persistent after tire/wheel work.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 4:35 pm

Yeah, I'd have to agree a bit more with Brother David on Q3. Mine did it with the 'Stones, still does it but to a much lesser degree with the Metzlers. I would highly recommend going to the Metzlers on your next set of tires, inflated to 42 F and 46-48 R. I give you that range only because it was recommended to me from this list to go 48 on the rear, but I'm wearing the rear in the center more than I think I should, so I've dropped down to 46 to see what happens. FYI, I ride solo vs. two up where the 48 lbs might make better sense.

Gregg L.
'05 LT, Lt Metallic Yellow (of course)
Southeast PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in