Flashing brake lights? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Question Flashing brake lights?

The last few mornings I have had the dash brake lights flashing alternately. after arriving at my destination and restarting the bike the lights perform correctly, the brake light flashes until I get moving.
Could it be that my fluid level is low from low temps and after temp rises everything goes to normal?
Everything seems to be working

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
The last few mornings I have had the dash brake lights flashing alternately. after arriving at my destination and restarting the bike the lights perform correctly, the brake light flashes until I get moving.
Could it be that my fluid level is low from low temps and after temp rises everything goes to normal?
Everything seems to be working
Sounds more like a low battery. The ABS system tests the available voltage as part of the start-up routine to ensure there's enough electrical energy to operate the system (a safety check). If the battery is low, the system throws a fault.

Your symptoms point in this direction. The starter works harder to turn over a cold motor than a warmed one, so it draws the battery voltage down less on the restarts. This, coupled with the fact that the alternator has been operating and charging the bike while you are riding, means that the ABS system will likely be seeing a higher voltage at the restart -- enough higher that the ABS doesn't fault -- hence your bike's llights go off after the restart.

Having said the above, I'd still check the fluid level just to eliminate this as a potential source. I once encountered low-level-induced flashing lights on a *very* sporatic basis -- so infrequent that at first I was thinking low battery (i.e., after a restart the lights would clear for a while). As the rear pads got thinner, restarting wouldn't clear the lights as often, so I checked the fluid and found the cause.

I'd still vote battery, though.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:39 pm

It does sound as though you may have a low fluid level. My bike acted in the same manner and upon inspection of the brake fluid level in both of the rear reservoirs it was discovered that they were low. After topping them off all was back to normal.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 1:16 am

Mine's been doing the same thing. After searching the archives, I've come to the conclusion that it's probably a little low. When the fluid's cold, it flashes. I've been riding a few miles and using the brakes a few times. Then I stop and kill the engine and start it back up. The problem doesn't come back until the next morning. I really need to get around to topping it off, but it sounds like a real pain in the backside to do.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 8:10 am Thread Starter

It should not be the battery I just replaced it with the oddyssey battery.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69

post #6 of 8 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:17 am

I just did mine this weekend. As summer turns to fall and the morning temps dipped into the 80's here, my ABS lights began flashing. I used Dave Wright's instructions:

It's not simple, but it's easy.
1 remove right rider peg assembly
2.remove passenger seat
3.remove all screws from the right lower tupperware (there's one under the saddlebag)
4. pull tupperware away from area where it meets saddle bag, not too far, you don't need much
5 look inside the frame about where the saddlebag reaches it forward-most point. You'll see the container (white plastic). One easily reached screw on top, and toward the front of the bike, another screw on top.
6 remove both tops
7 prepare to inject (I use a hypodermic needle) a quantity of less than a quarter shot-glass (measurement works for me!) in each of the two sections
8 close everything up
9 go ride
Dave Wright

One note for fellow goofs. It is not as I first read, one easily reached screw, on top. It is one easily reached, screw-on top. Other than that, it was very easy to do and pretty quick. Now all is well with mine.

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Thumbs up Thanks!!

I was just going to search the "HOW" when I found what I was looking for. My lights were alternatively flashing this weekend on my trip. I was concerned at first, but then everything seemed fine. The only thing different is that my lights come on after I ride for a few miles and stay on, when I restart the lights stay off for a few miles and then return. I will try topping off the fluid...

This website/group is the best! Thanks!!

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

post #8 of 8 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Cool

Today the lights started flashing, when I stopped at a friends we added fluid to rear res's and everything seemed fine. Later lights started flashing again. What else can this be telling me? I stopped on the way home and when I restarted bike lights went to normal, no flashing. Should I disconnect Batt to reset Computer?

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in