speedometer error - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 9:11 pm Thread Starter
BLB

Smile speedometer error

I corrected my speedometer error by removing the top cover of windshield, then I removed the seven screws in the speedometer cover. I then turned the needle counterclockwise three clicks. I put it all back together, and had it checked by radar. It was dead on. This was an old trick that I used on several Harley Davidsons that I have owned. I could always get it dead on.
My BMW is a 2005 K1200LT. I don't know if the 04 and older BMW speedometer covers can be removed or not. The 05 is the only one that I
have had experience with. Be very careful if you try this. I turned the needle by grasping it at the ball part of the needle. I made one mistake and had to go back clockwise. If you do this you will have to lift the end of the needle over the peg, but it will not break. The needle will rest with key off to the right of the zero. If you try this and have trouble you can e-mail me at [email protected]

PS. It took me approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 1:52 am

Anyone know if that fix is possible on an 02.
BLB - can you post some pics?
Thanks
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 2:38 am

I wouldn't recommend this on pre'05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyvL
Anyone know if that fix is possible on an 02.
BLB - can you post some pics?
Thanks
I wouldn't recommend that procedure on a pre-05 model LT. If you want to do it the correct way, you want to go here. It is the recommended and best way to get you speedometer more accurate.

HTH YMMV

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 7:26 pm
KIC

Re: speedometer error

I found this link: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...apsed&sb=5&o=0

I rode my 2000 LTC this morning and found that with the cruise control st at 80 mph, my computer was sh0wing 75.4. This stayed constant even though I reset (cleared) the computer several times. At 85MPH on the speedo the computer showed 80.

I'll have to borrow a GPS to see which one is correct.

Any input/ideas on why the two are 5 +/- MPH off ?

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #5 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 7:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

We have found the computer on reset to be very accurate as opposed to the uncorrected speedo which always reads high.

Now for the 05 and up no need to click it back - just pull the needle and then press it back on about 5 mph low. The error is consistent. I never look at mine since I have a GPS.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
We have found the computer on reset to be very accurate as opposed to the uncorrected speedo which always reads high.

Now for the 05 and up no need to click it back - just pull the needle and then press it back on about 5 mph low. The error is consistent. I never look at mine since I have a GPS.
Wish we could do that on the O2's. Hate to take it all apart and solder wires.... Sort of gotten used to it reading fast. Maybe that has kept me from getting performance awards.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I never look at mine since I have a GPS.
I still don't understand relying on GPS unless one is going on straight roads. As I understand it, it's a measurement "as the crow flies" and if you're curving around mountain roads it still measures straight line...

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #8 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

No it is a very accurate speed but loss of a sat or two can throw a momentary error in. We got back from a ride in the smoky mountains and the wife pointed at the "max" speed window and said "I don't remember doing 145 MPH".

In general it is much more accurate than the BMW speedo and it is 100% in line with both my Lincoln and the Town & Country on trips. Distance covered will be off a bit as it does use a bit of "the crow flying stuff". The available WAAS and accurate maps make it my choice for correct speed. Your info was true a few years ago when the military blocked the accurate time signal necessary for high accuracy.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Apr 24th, 2008 at 8:56 pm.
post #9 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 9:03 pm

GPS distance is straight line but the current speed is accurate way beyond the speedometers that we have on our bikes and cars.

Ride safe,

Bruce
post #10 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 9:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Its really all in the sampling rate just like digital music sounds so good but it is really choppy if you reduce the sample rate and I can make a whole bunch of little straight lines go around a pretty shape curve - if they are short enough.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 9:13 pm

By design, the 00 speedo if off by around 8-9%.

If you go thru the past speedo posts, there is an easy mod to get the speedo accurate.

It involves a lot of work removing the speedo unit, and a simple install of a short jumper between to spots on the surface mount PCB.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB
I then turned the needle counterclockwise three clicks. .
I'm not sure what you mean by "turned". Do you mean you pulled the needle off and then pushed it back onto the shaft? Or?

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #13 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:36 pm

I do not think bending / turning speed indicator needle will work on LT's as the speedo is an electronic meter unlike speedos of the past that were a mechanical - magnetic device . Its a good deal of work but the results were worth the effort and you will get to see into the bowels of your bike .

Bob G
99LT
post #14 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:46 pm

The 05 and up speedos are off a constant amount 45 = 40, 55 = 50 etc so you can move the needle back on the spindle and it will work. Pre 05s are off by 10% 66 = 60, 33 = 30 etc so you have to do the jumper mod.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #15 of 18 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Analog display.
Bend the arm for an accurate reading, and the stops will be off.
I think all analog meters function the same was. Magnet and a coil that electricity flows through; the spring returns the needle back to the beginning stop. The only difference is how much energy is needed for full scale deflection; lower amounts equate to more accurate.

If I remember correctly, its the current thru the coil that creates the magnetic field, moving the needle.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 18 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 9:08 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The 05 and up are electronic servos that reset zero each time you power up. You need to pull the needle off the shaft and then replace it over for the correction to work.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 18 Old Apr 10th, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: speedometer indicator is short

Buying this 2002 r1150rt and I noticed that the indicator pointer either has broken off or jus plain too short. Why. It does not reach the numbers and I do not see any broken edges or pieces within. Thanks
post #18 of 18 Old Apr 14th, 2016, 2:22 am

I'm curious, since the speedometer is off by 5 mph on the 05 and later, does that mean the odometer is also off and thereby the mpg on the display? I'm in the market for a K1200LT (I'm looking at an 05 with 31K on it at the moment). I have a VW bus that I have larger wheels on so it messes up my speed and odometer by 5%. I'm used to seeing a slower speed that actual, not that a VW bus can do anything but a slow speed.

-Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in