Bike Dropping - I Can Relate - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bvargas163
  • 1 Post By pete1102
  • 1 Post By maxposner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old May 11th, 2006, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Bike Dropping - I Can Relate

I just read the results of the bike dropping poll...and LAUGHED so much when I came across "ask a Wing rider".

First drop - in the shed, reached over the bike to grab a 2 x 4, toppled it onto the right side, broke a mirros...$183.

Second drop - moving bike from shed to driveway across rain-soaked lawn. Buring it to the hubs then it fell over. No cost in dollars. Emrassment - infinite. Having to ask son with strong back and weak mind to come help - equally priceless and even more embarrasing. But it didn't fall as far...being sunk in the mud and all.

Third drop - sidestand punches hole in driveway, cracked windshield...$95 used.

Fourth drop - didn't lock sidestand completely at gas pump; left bike running when paying for fuel; bike goes down. Cell phone to wife to bring wallet with money to pay for gas - priceless. Nice gent who helped me stand the behmoth back up - priceless. Damage - $1025 for new upper fairing. J B Weld, fiberglass tape, sweat equity - twenty bucks and fixed enough for me Nobody I know saw it so as far as I'm concerned this never happened.

You know what they say - for everything else, there's American Express
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old May 11th, 2006, 5:38 pm

My avatar says it all!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #3 of 49 Old May 11th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Larry,

I can relate to your post with due to a good deal of experience. At least you put the side stand part of the way down. I stopped for fuel one day and just simply dismounted and found out quickly the beast can't stand up without help. Now, I use the side stand to turn off the engine.

post #4 of 49 Old May 11th, 2006, 10:14 pm

I also use that

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryR
Larry,

I can relate to your post with due to a good deal of experience. At least you put the side stand part of the way down. I stopped for fuel one day and just simply dismounted and found out quickly the beast can't stand up without help. Now, I use the side stand to turn off the engine.
I use stand to turn off engine also, the kill switch on HD's broke easy. So I got into the habit of avoiding them, guess it stuck with me.
Rock
post #5 of 49 Old May 11th, 2006, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Larry,

Oh - I did that on my first bike and I've only had two! Had to park on my lawn on a slight slope. Side stand? We don't need no stinking side stand...whoomp...
post #6 of 49 Old May 11th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Larry,

Well, we have a bigger club than I thought.
I pulled into motel after 650 miles, got off, and watched her fall over.
Forgot to put the sidestand down. (650 miles with only two stops for gas).

The worst was....(I was 39, riding with a 62 and 78 year old, one on a K1200, other on an FJR). I says, can you help me. They say, you gotta learn sometime. At least they were kind enough to talk me through picking her up alone. First shot, about threw my back out. Moved my butt about an inch, and she walked right up, easy as butter. At least I know how now, but then....That wasn't the answer I was looking for.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #7 of 49 Old May 11th, 2006, 10:39 pm

me too

Dropped mine over the weekend... just pulling to a stop in a left turn lane. Not sure what happened, perhaps I didn't havethe front wheel straight, but she started going over to the right... and there was no stopping it... Got it walked back up easily enough, but then found myself on the right side of the bike, not sure what to do next...

fortunately a guy on a custom chopper stopped and his girlfriend got off and held the bike while I whipped around to the other side, got the side stand down, and remounted.

here's the best part.. got all of this done before I had a green light again!!!

But the question remains... with me stuck on the right side, essentially with my back to the bike.. what's the best way to proceed? Ideas? experience?
post #8 of 49 Old May 11th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfischer23
Dropped mine over the weekend... just pulling to a stop in a left turn lane. Not sure what happened, perhaps I didn't havethe front wheel straight, but she started going over to the right... and there was no stopping it... Got it walked back up easily enough, but then found myself on the right side of the bike, not sure what to do next...

fortunately a guy on a custom chopper stopped and his girlfriend got off and held the bike while I whipped around to the other side, got the side stand down, and remounted.

here's the best part.. got all of this done before I had a green light again!!!

But the question remains... with me stuck on the right side, essentially with my back to the bike.. what's the best way to proceed? Ideas? experience?
If you were alone, only thing I can think of is let her down again, then extend the side stand and raise her again. Glad you didnt have to do that !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #9 of 49 Old May 12th, 2006, 8:41 am

Been there

[QUOTE=Johnfischer23

But the question remains... with me stuck on the right side, essentially with my back to the bike.. what's the best way to proceed? Ideas? experience?[/QUOTE]

Deploy sidestand before you start the lift. When you get vertical turn to your left, till facing bike. Right hand holding handgrip (BRAKE SQUEEZED) left hand on saddle bag.
Now comes the scary part (it is easy, just scary till you do it a few times) take left foot place it toes pointing directly into the side bike. Now gently push the bike away from you, as soon as you pass the balance point start to lower your body weight by bending at the knees, sticking your butt out away from the bike. (How far depends on the size of the butt)
Your body weight becomes a counter balance to the bikes, sets it right on the stand, and the brake being applied keeps it from rolling forward off the stand so you can practice the move again (don't ask how I know )
Not sure if I hold the record for drops, but I'm in the double digits Maybe I shold stay off roads like these, at least till they thaw
Rock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sb2.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	3793  

Last edited by UncleRock; May 12th, 2006 at 8:49 am. Reason: Quote not high lighted
post #10 of 49 Old May 12th, 2006, 9:49 am

Confession time...

This is one unforgiving bike...
Just got myself a brand new 06LT on May 6, Saturday. Test rode one before buying, and it handled so easy. I thought: what are all these stories about a top-heavy bike, slow speed handling, blah-blah - the bike felt so LIGHT. Ok, the following day, Sunday - a very happy camper - i take her for spin on Rte 55 in Virginia - nice winding road. Come to a small t-junction, ready to make right turn. Have to wait for trafic to pass, looking left. Just STANDING there on an incline, looking left, getting impatient. Then all of a sudden the beast starts going down to the left, and there's absolutely nothing i can do about it! Wow, i was embarrassed... I only dropped a bike once before two years ago, and that was my cruiser, and i knew what i did wrong. And it was easy to pick it up. Not the LT! I read a lot and watched a Motorman video about technicques for picking up a bike, but i was unable to pick up - even to move - my LT! A guy on a truck stopped, said "been there myself" and helped me to stand up the LT (not a scratch on her, thank God). I'm now seriously considering finding a good flat spot somewhere, puting a piece of cardboard on the ground, laying the LT down and practicing standing her up. What if she were fully loaded for a trip and i were on Rte 50 in Nevada...
post #11 of 49 Old May 12th, 2006, 9:55 am

Dropping bike

Didn't think I'd be responding to this thread already.Just got my 05 LT last Sat.,have 1200 mi. on it already,dropped it yesterday in the parking lot,still not sure why,no damage,thank goodness for those rubber side pads.Was backing up manualy with wife on back,went to take off,handlebars cranked over to left too far and just went over.Wife and I picked up bike,no problem.Only damage was bruised ego.This is about my 40th bike,including 6 Beamers,not a newbie,just uncoordinated once in a while.Capt Rich
post #12 of 49 Old May 12th, 2006, 10:30 am

This is the only bike in the world that "all" dealers stock at least 6 parts for, because they know they can sell them. Left and right side, tip over wings, bag chrome strips and reflector.
post #13 of 49 Old May 12th, 2006, 11:27 am

May I join the club? I dropped mine 3 times...1st time in Sturgis in the camp ground, hit some soft sand and the front wheel just dug in( I was going slow)and plop, over she went. Thank God there were others to help me pick her up. Oh yeah....and when it fell over, the left mirror went rolling off. Now i am pissed thinking I need a new mirror, but after looking at it closer I noticed the mirror just pops back on ....SWEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!!!

The other 2 times were not really my fault. I was putting it in a friend's garage for the winter and the bike was on the side stand just idling. Then we looked over and the bike was rolling down the driveway in it's own and then fell over. A little damage but not much. Then the 3rd time was on mount washington. we stopped to sight see, put the LT on the side stand and in neutral, get off the bike and not 1 foot away from it rolled forward....DOH!! Dumbass!!! was not thinking. should have left in gear.

But it is still a lot of fun to ride the beast, even though it does embarass you from tmr to time
post #14 of 49 Old May 12th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Red face Stuck on the Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfischer23
My first drop (of 3) was on the right side just a couple of blocks from the dealer and in traffic. I was pumped with adrenaline so I immediately proceeded to lift the bike per the procedures I read here. Of course I didn't deploy the side stand. Once the bike was upright I reached the "OK, so now what?" stage. In my case, I was able to turn myself around, lean myself over the bike and deploy the side stand with my left hand. Right hand had the front brake engaged. I don't remember any trauma leaning the bike onto the stand after standing back up. Must have been interesting to watch from the cage stuck behind me if they hadn't been so upset. To add to the spectacle, I kept starting the bike, putting it in first, and stalling; repeating three times until I put the stand back up! NICE!!!! Take it easy,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #15 of 49 Old May 12th, 2006, 9:57 pm

The second one don't count

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerrider

The other 2 times were not really my fault. I was putting it in a friend's garage for the winter and the bike was on the side stand just idling. Then we looked over and the bike was rolling down the driveway in it's own and then fell over. A little damage but not much
That second one don't count, it was just the bike telling you put it away for the night, not the whole winter.
Rock
post #16 of 49 Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:44 am

Dropping LT

Dear "dropped my LT club",

I have been riding for 35yrs. had about a dozen bikes only dropped once before my LT. Done it two up, one up all alone and with my refresher class watching (mucho embarrassing). That is never fun, but still the best bike I have ever ridden hands down! Riding class instructor gave me a good tip. "If you look at the ground the bike will follow, keep eyes trained ahead and she will long to go there". This helped me not drop her again until after a long ride of 600+mi. and 2mi. from home, I stoped at a light and realized both feet were still on the j-pegs at a full stop. She got me!! Thought I herd her snicker as I pulled her back up and rode home. I guess she just had to show me who was boss after putting up with me for 12+yrs. Still love her just have a suspicious respect tho.
Thank you BMW for the foresight in protecting her so well from those of us who forget she weighs 800+. Still there isnt a woman who would look that good or ride that well with that kind of weight, and she never talks back!!
Ride safe, respect the lady, be ready for the unexpected,
Yellowflash
post #17 of 49 Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:28 pm

Cool I don't feel AS bad

I have read the horror stories before and KNEW my day was coming. I got my '02 LT in Nov '06 so I really hven't put that many miles on her as I also had a abdominal hernia repaired in Dec., not related to the LT. Well, last week on the way south, got off the interstate, trying to make a turn from a stop, saw car coming in parking lot that didn't stop, wheel already turned....you know the rest. Now, does anyone know where I can get replacement bolts for the broken J-peg bolt that I hadn't pulled in yet? It "sacrificed" itself to save the rest of the bike.
Y'all be safe now and keep the windscreen UP!

Dennis
post #18 of 49 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 7:47 am

Quickest Drop

After reading everyone elses confessions I don't feel so bad now. I dropped the demo bike in front of the dealer. Rode it around and then went to pull up next to the wife to tell her we had to have one of these. Then BAM! Wheel not straight when pulling front brake. Service tech came out and gave me a lesson on how to stand it up. I bought one anyway and made it three weeks before I dropped it. Went to stop at a stop sign while looking left. Front wheel goes where you are looking. BAM!

Fortunately no real damage. The bike is training me to pay attention to the task at hand and is forcing me to become a better rider. I'm not replacing the rubber bumper or chrome since I will probably do it again.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #19 of 49 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock

Deploy sidestand before you start the lift. When you get vertical turn to your left, till facing bike. Right hand holding handgrip (BRAKE SQUEEZED) left hand on saddle bag.
Now comes the scary part (it is easy, just scary till you do it a few times) take left foot place it toes pointing directly into the side bike. Now gently push the bike away from you, as soon as you pass the balance point start to lower your body weight by bending at the knees, sticking your butt out away from the bike. (How far depends on the size of the butt)
Your body weight becomes a counter balance to the bikes, sets it right on the stand, and the brake being applied keeps it from rolling forward off the stand so you can practice the move again (don't ask how I know )
Not sure if I hold the record for drops, but I'm in the double digits Maybe I shold stay off roads like these, at least till they thaw
Rock
Great technique. Caveat: Also ensure that the bike is in First as well as deploying the side stand prior to lifting. With the bike in Neutral, it could fall over on the left side if it rolls before you get over there.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

post #20 of 49 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:17 pm

Dropped mine yesterday. No big deal, I thought. I picked it up, got on it, and rode. After about 20 feet I realized there was no foot peg on the right side. Turned around and saw it in front of the driveway where I dropped it. It was completely broken. I needed to get somewhere so I attached the passenger peg to the front; not very elegant but at least it gave me a place to put my right foot.

I will be riding home in a short while to my home near Sacramento. I am currently 124 miles away. I will ride straight to A&S and hope they have a new peg in stock.

Oh, BTW, if you do this technique be careful on the turns. I learned the hard way that right turns with the passenger peg on the front is not an efficient design. No damage, just a lot of sparks.
post #21 of 49 Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:38 pm

First Drop

Well I had the bike at least 30 minutes before dropping it in a parking lot practicing low speed stuff. Yep, total stop and then like an old building being demolished it just decided to fall over to the right. As most of you know that turkey never knew a diet. Even with the tank mostly empty I couldn't budge it. A good samaritan and my good bud who was observing from the sideline helped get the rubber back on the ground. Now I'm looking for that web site where I saw that petite little lady lift her LT without a grunt. Let's face it - it's for sale if I can't pick it up!

Ed - and old trail rider
post #22 of 49 Old Apr 30th, 2007, 2:37 am

I think I dropped mine in less than 30 minutes. As long as it took me to ride it from the dealers to my driveway. As soon as I turned into the driveway, down it went. Then I dropped it two more times in the first 24 hours.

The second time I had put it on the sidestand, then read in the book about how to get it down from the sidestand. The book says to just push it off, while you stand to the side, then get on. Ok. I can do that. No I can't. Down it went.

The third time was the next morning at church. I cut the front wheel too hard and let out the clutch too quick and down it went.

The first time I had to get it back up by myself since there was no one else around to help me. I backed up to it, grabbed a handlebar, and the sidecase handle, and just walked it up. Now, I'm on the wrong side of the bike, and the sidestand isn't down. At least it's still in gear. I got myself turned around, and leaned over the bike, and was able to get the sidestand down without dropping it again.

Only once since then. I was coming around the gas pumps at a quickie mark when a car came from the other way. We neither one saw the other. I grabbed a big handful of front brake with the wheel cut, and down we went. I had it back up (remembering to put the sidestand down first this time.) so fast it surprised me.

Luckily I've never damaged it.
post #23 of 49 Old May 20th, 2007, 2:24 am

Talking Bike dropping

I buy this 2005 Goldwing and the second time I park it in my garage and try to put it on the center stand my foot slips off the center stand lever and it goes down in the garage on its right side. I feel like an idiot and don't want the wife to come in the garage and see the (new to me) Wing on its side. I pick it up all by myself. I see stars doing it and do a really great red face. About two weeks later my foot slips off the center stand lever again and this time I don't let it go quick enough and it pulls me over on it. My right knee does a plant on the frame and cracks my knee cap. There is gas all over the garage floor and I'm afraid to open the garage door with the opener for fear of a spark. I open all the garage windows and lift the door manually. call my son to help me pick it up since my knee now is swollen and hurts like shit. Something good comes from bad things I always say. I learned that if you drive the bike up on a piece of 3/4 inch plywood then put it on the center stand its about 50% easier. I just turned 63 so you can teach old dogs new tricks after all.
Poco183 likes this.
post #24 of 49 Old May 28th, 2007, 11:32 pm

Dropping my LT

Last week, I picked up my first LT(2005 w/2Kmiles) in CA and headed North to WA. The second day out, I was pulling out of a parking lot, had the wheel turned, and hit the brake. Down she went! Minor scratches to rubber engine guard, and scratched the chrome on the rear bag! Subsequently changed the sensitivity setting on the brake, and it seems to make a difference when not so quick to engage. Anybody else found this helps? Anybody know how much the chrome strip costs to replace? Since I'm a brand new LT rider, how do I hook up with others around Olympia, WA? Thanks for all the wisdom on this site...
post #25 of 49 Old May 28th, 2007, 11:54 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Bike pick up movie

Here is member Munson sweating it out picking the beast up.
He makes it look so effortless doesn't he... this is a .mov file

GO HERE AND WATCH

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #26 of 49 Old May 29th, 2007, 12:07 am

Wink

Drop #1: MSF Experienced Rider Course "The Box." Lessons learned: (a)the throttle is my friend. (b) stay off the brakes in uber-low speed drills.

Drop #2: Going down west side of Sonora Pass. Hey, that looks like a good spot to stop. Oops! Crap, gravel is deeper that it looked. Bike just went over. Most impressive part? My Bride was riding on the back! She got to practice her first low speed step off. Lesson's learned: (a) if it looks like loose stuff, IT IS LOOSE STUFF! (b) wait until the grade levels out before taking a break. In our case, there were SEVERAL paved, level stopping spots 10 minutes further down the mountain. DOOH!

Live and learn.

Bruce

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #27 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 6:12 pm

Only if your seen

I left the local Exxon station right off I-26 in Asheville with quite an audience at the station looking (staring) at this measure of stunning technology. So, I flawlessly mounted the beast and rolled her backwards down the parking space looking like the Beem Master I am, smiling confidently to the car of young women in the parking spot next to me. I approach the stop in plans of making a sweeping hyper acceleration onto the 5 lane roadway. I check the traffic, feather the clutch and then SHE STALLS propelling me off the bike and about 10 feet from where the shameless grudge bearing beast lie! I was so disgusted I flipped up the front part of the helmet and just sat there! Two guys jumped out of a F350 and asked: Sir, do you need some help?" I said "yes, yes, I do. It took myself and one of the other guys about 5 long seconds to right the beast with me saying the whole time "harder, I mean HARDER!" I finally got back on arms and legs trembling. In fact, it was hard to wave to the car full of women who were now next to me. If I dropped it then, I'd of left it there!
Pete in Asheville
Poco183 likes this.
post #28 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvargas163
I buy this 2005 Goldwing and the second time I park it in my garage and try to put it on the center stand my foot slips off the center stand lever and it goes down in the garage on its right side. I feel like an idiot and don't want the wife to come in the garage and see the (new to me) Wing on its side. I pick it up all by myself. I see stars doing it and do a really great red face. About two weeks later my foot slips off the center stand lever again and this time I don't let it go quick enough and it pulls me over on it. My right knee does a plant on the frame and cracks my knee cap. There is gas all over the garage floor and I'm afraid to open the garage door with the opener for fear of a spark. I open all the garage windows and lift the door manually. call my son to help me pick it up since my knee now is swollen and hurts like shit. Something good comes from bad things I always say. I learned that if you drive the bike up on a piece of 3/4 inch plywood then put it on the center stand its about 50% easier. I just turned 63 so you can teach old dogs new tricks after all.
I find it even easier to just press the button on my 07 LT!

Matt
post #29 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 8:41 pm

Well I just got my 03 Lt about a month a go and I dropped it in front of my wife and son in the garage. The very day I brought it home. I like others was not aware of leaving the bike in gear and letting it move forward against the transmission. I put the side stand down and proud as I could be and look I stepped off. The bike moved forward and rolled right off the side stand., as it went down my son tried(bless his heart) to hold it up with the mirror..... That was when we found out those things come off in your hand. The expression on everyone's face was priceless.
post #30 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 8:46 pm

Now thats funny!!!

Mike
post #31 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 9:31 pm

Joined the club

Well I did it. Went to make a slow right hand turn around to back into a parking space. When a teenager decided he wanted that space. I had to brake to keep from hitting him. Well me being vertically challenged (31 inch inseam) could not get enough strength under it to keep it up. Good things out of this: just made the highway peg a little hard to work no other damage. And the teenager decided he didn't need anything from that store, and left in a hurry with talking to me.
post #32 of 49 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:22 am

Dropping a Goldwing

I dropped a bunch of Goldwings! Mostly because I'm vertically challenged. The funniest drop was a result of failing to put my feet down at a red light. Hmmmm.....how does one "forget" to put feet down??? I still question that all the time.

Fred
post #33 of 49 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:10 pm

I've never dropped my LT yet

but.......

She did fall over less than a week after bringing her home last winter!
I swear I did not drop her,

she fell over all by herself i was nowhere near her...

seems I didn't deploy the side stand quite far enough forward and it took a moment for her to realize she was free to react to gravities sweet whisperings......

It was like watching it in slow motion I was on the other side of the garage getting out of my over pants, nothing I could do but watch.....

had to get help lifting her back up...

damage... a broken sidelight, since they didn't have any orange ones in stock had to get two new white ones. Now I take great care in making sure the side stand is FULLY forward! Ha Ha!

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
post #34 of 49 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Not Yet

I'm in the haven't dropped it yet group, but I'm not about about to be smug about it. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Tried real hard to drop her this last weekend. My 15 year old son on the back, a slightly sloping road in front a friends house and slow U-turn to the right. My 31" inseam was only just long enough to reach down and keep it up. I think I strained every muscle in my right leg.

This bike will give you false confidence because she handles so well. Let your focus wander for a second though and whoops, there she goes.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #35 of 49 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:21 pm

Bought mine 1 moth ago. First day out with the wife on the back we stopped at the grocery store, come out, load the bike and forget that this isn't my V-twin. Low revs, stalled it out and she had her first bail out. The wife laughed, helped me pick it up, she lowered the stand (of course I was on the other side) and helped me slowly push it over on to the stand.

Second time was yesterday. Middle of an industrial area of town, no one around and I tried a full wheel lock turn, while admiring the pothole right beside me. Just proves you look down your going down.

At least it was on the left side, because I would have forgot to put the stand down. I am now nursing a sore back, but this thread makes me feel better.

As for the guy who is in double digits...... I am sure your not alone.

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch, until you want a loud noise. DVC
post #36 of 49 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:36 pm

deploy the hydraulic center stand

I had the same problem...standing on right side of bike after bringing her back up. I stood there for a moment and then realized I could use the hydraulic center stand! Luckilly she was in neutral!
post #37 of 49 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:42 am

I quit counting at 15, my excuses are weak, my reasons are non existant, I just think I'm a moron. I'm tall and strong, I can pick it up either way, forward back, no problem. I just can't seem to hold it up! I once saw a photo of a Valkyrie with a wheel where the side bag should have been, I think this is my solution. Well I may as well go out and go for a ride. After all I need the practice picking her up.
Poco183 likes this.
post #38 of 49 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 12:41 pm

I dropped mine twice in the first year. First time, I rolled into the moto parking spaces here at work, and as I stopped, I was leaned over juuuust a touch too far. Let 'er down slow onto the left side. Reached down, jerked her back up, and strained my back. Nice meds from the doc, though.

Second time, about two months later, I walked her forward so my son could play basketball, and when I put her on the side stand, it wasn't locked all the way forward. Let her down slow again, but this time, I picked it up using the "put in gear, back into it, grab handlebar and lift bar, put butt against seat and walk it up backwards." Easy-peasy, no strain.

When I dropped my Hayabusa with Corbin beetle bags, it lies so close to the ground, I couldn't get any leverage under it. Fortunately, a good samaritan came along and helped me muscle it back up.

Glad they thought to put those drop wings and strips on the bags at BMW. Minor scratches and no $.
post #39 of 49 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 3:09 am

Re: Bike Dropping - I Can Relate

Well I have had a dread of dropping my 1150 R and it finally happened up on the mountain one day on unevan slope passenger moved wrong way for the leg I had down as we came to a stop. We laughed but it wasn't funny at the shop when I had to replace the right switch assembly. Ouch. I'm glad she was pinned under it or burned or anything so whatever.

There seems to be an awful lot of dropping of beemers and I don't hear that from cruiser hog drivers much so I guess there is some good in a low center of gravity.

If I have learned anything so far about slow speed manuevering it is don't put the front brake on with the bars cocked. It is a sure way to lose it. I have almost dropped my a few times because the braks are so touchy.

That said, I want an RT and they seem even more prone as do the GS models and one of those is the way I'm leaning. I am short so the GS is the least appealing though the new low seat option makes it at least feasable if I go that route. I do know I wont be riding two up on a GS. No way with my short leggs and seven gallon tank wanting to go back with the dinasaurs am I going to chance dropping a friend . So there you go. Want to ride two up seems to me the HD or other low CG bike would be less of a hassle.

One up though I can really see me on the RT and perhaps even a GS.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #40 of 49 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 7:25 am

Great stories~ I'm thinking of getting my first bike next spring, and I now understand why I need to start with something small...

Rob from Ottawa
post #41 of 49 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I've had mine 2 years and it's never been past 45 degrees vertical...

Learned my lesson on a Honda 1000 Hurricane, dropped it halfway in the parking lot at work, could not get it up, my leg was partly caught under it, and was too stubborn to fully let go. A little old lady (I kid you not) came to help me, and she could put enough leverage on it for me to get it upright again. Dropped my ZX11 once out of pure stupidity driving it out of the Toy hauler.

Did I say I HATE dropping bikes?

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #42 of 49 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 7:35 pm

You guys are really scaring me - A little over 1000 miles on my new LT and it hasn't fallen over yet. I did drop my new RT in front of my wife when I brought home after buying it. Dropped it a couple more times over three yrs. Never dropped the GT, but this one does worry me. The kids are getting older and the Mrs is thinking about getting on now - that looks really top heavy! Not that the Mrs is heavy.... you know what I mean.
post #43 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 3:03 pm

As I have read here before, it's not a matter of IF she'll lay down - it's a matter of WHEN she'll lay down. I've had mine for 2 weeks and down she went today for the first (and hopefully last) time.

I can understand why she wanted to lay down, she was tired - we rode in a parade all morning. When I got back, I thought to myself "I'll put her on the center-stand so I won't have smoke when I start her up again (another thread altogether)." Well, as I went to dismount the bike - down she went (I forgot to put the side-stand down first as my mind was on the center-stand).

Having seen the videos on how to pick her up I immediately assumed the position, and on the third try up she came easliy.

I hope I never have to do that again!!!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #44 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
As I have read here before, it's not a matter of IF she'll lay down - it's a matter of WHEN she'll lay down. I've had mine for 2 weeks and down she went today for the first (and hopefully last) time.

I can understand why she wanted to lay down, she was tired - we rode in a parade all morning. When I got back, I thought to myself "I'll put her on the center-stand so I won't have smoke when I start her up again (another thread altogether)." Well, as I went to dismount the bike - down she went (I forgot to put the side-stand down first as my mind was on the center-stand).

Having seen the videos on how to pick her up I immediately assumed the position, and on the third try up she came easliy.

I hope I never have to do that again!!!
Welcome to the club...Not very exclusive...and sometimes its pricey ...

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #45 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:43 pm

In only hurts once....

After getting my 00 in 05, I was told by one member of a local group, You'll never stop it from going over, you can only slow its decent.

This fine gent also educated me on the proper method of parking for a gas-up. As mention before... Pull up to the pump, flip out the side stand while in gear, release the clutch, and let her roll foward till trany stops and ease her to the side while turning all the way to the left.

Now, My count is somewhere inbetween 5-10. But my first time was at the end of an 11 day, 4300 mile post 2005 CCR run, upon which time the she was waiting for me to board after a fill-up. I sauntered back to the bike after getting my receipt from inside, and had then experienced the OHST (Operator Head Space and Timing) problem

She was overpacked, heavy to say the least, and as I got on from the left side, there appairently was alittle to much bounce of my butt and once things got past the 10% angle, I could feel the weight shift and knew where I was heading and fast.

Not thinking I could have just stuck my foot out against the pump, me and my short legs attempt to stand on the pump riser, which was further down than the 10% angle.

So.. There I lie riding sideways, looking through 1/2 a broken windshield that the pump took half of, with my right side trapped between the pump riser and the bike. Vern, the attendant and two others came running to the rescue. Vern instructed were to grab and gave the command, 1,2 Lift!

After 5 mins of... Lets call it decompression, I stored the broken piece and we drove the remainder of 60 some miles to home.

Most noteably was my recent attempt to get her up on the Kendon trailer from a gravel parkway. Neither the trailer ramp or the bike appreciated the gravel. The ramp gave out first, leaving the bike mid-way and thats when I began to learn how to fly, about 8 ft to the right, kinda like getting bucked of a horse.

Much to my amazment, the only damage was a few scratches, even though she was half-on half-off the trailer, and wedged into the right fender well of the trailer. Oh, and the right trailer signal assembly got it too.

Now... as for my method of pickup... Coming from your more common tip-over on pavement experience If she's on her right side, I extend my kick stand and make sure she's in gear. Then I come around to the other side, give her alittle lift up, then do a 180 of my body so my butts below the the crotch of the sadle, meanwhile my left hand is holding the right hand grip, and my right hand grasping the side case handle, I do the dual leg push-up while doing alittle arm pull and up she comes and goes over onto the side stand. You can also grasp the brake lever for added assurance, but I've not need to so far.

As for bringing her up if she's down on her left side, then I do just the opisite, but this time about 2/3'ds the way up, I switch my right hand from the clutch hand grip, to the right hand grip, and with the bike still at a small angle, give my body a twist so I'm facing the foward direction, then either get on the bike, or whip out the side stand.
post #46 of 49 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 7:21 pm

My only drop was a very stupid of me thing....

were i normally park my LT at work had changed places without notice
they had blocked off the normal entrance and opened up room across the driveway....I drive across and stopped my bike to see how i could bake my bike into a slot..i stopped on a angle it was dark and i did not see it...I felt the bike falling so i grabbed it with all i had and managed to lift it up again...and soon i felt if was save again it went down again...on the right side (no damage but a scratch on the rubber bumber guards ) really just layed it down gentle

A fellow co-worker 6'3 and about 280 happened to be walking up laughing at me....i asked for the help...he grabbed the back i grabbed the front as we got the bike up i remembered the side stand was still not out...so i said wow....wow....let me get the side stand...as i reached over the bike to un fold it the bike fall over ontop of it........got lucky there....

well nedless to say he told everybody who would listen to him at work ...and I heard it from eveyone at work....I work with about 300 employees on our shift...and i am one of the Mgrs......and my guys and girls love to pick on the boss's....when ever i ride the bike they all want to see me reinact it for them..of course while they have there smiles on....

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #47 of 49 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:56 pm

I had a 2006 LT and dropped it once (as do most owners). I still do not know why a sophisticated company like BMW cannot make a luxury touring bike that 70% of owners do not drop at one time or another. I bought an RT and I love it. It handles wonderfully and no fear of dropping.
post #48 of 49 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:24 am

Red face Re: Bike Dropping - I Can Relate

Dropped my '02 the night I brought it home. Put the side stand down and stood on the left peg to get off just like a hundred times on my 82 wing, but didn't have it in gear. Didn't want the family to see the new and $$ ride down on its side so I wrestled her up pretty quick. I have learned to shut the bike off by putting the stand down while in gear to prevent it rolling in neutral again.

She tipped again in a restaurant parking lot while I was inside. It punched a hole through the asphalt. I had unluckily put the stand down on top of a sink hole underneath. The stand kept catching on the asphalt trying to stand her up. Luckily many good Samaritans offered assistance.

The worst tip was on the side of a rural rode. I pulled over onto the gravel shoulder to punch in a new waypoint on the GPS. When I put my feet down I discovered the right side sloped away dramatically, the grass just made it look level. This time, the bike went past 90 degrees since it essentially fell into a ditch. As I was pondering how I was possibly going to get her back to vertical, two other bikes appeared and both riders graciously offered their help. The only damage was a trashed right mirror (some Gorilla glue and homemade spring clips and it's back on, hardly noticeable).

Even for three of us, lifting it from a decline back to vertical required some serious effort. I think it says a lot for our community that both riders (not riding together) stopped, were happy to help, and didn't even razz me about how I ended up in the predicament in the first place. I hope I get to repay the favor someday.
post #49 of 49 Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 12:19 pm

My first week of owning my 1100rt, I too dropped said bike three times ,once on an uneven parking lot ,another taking off with side stand down and another after stopping on a gravel country road. So , I've made it a habit to always leave bike in gear(1st) when parking and always gently lay it over easy on the side stand and observe any kind of hazard or non-support issues. Also, I scout ahead and try to observe the best area to park it before doing so. But, every great once in awhile I still have forgotten the side stand being down, luckily I always hit it taking off and it slams back in before reaching a high speed. I'll be 65 next month and I still love my ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in