Tell me about your winter riding. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

Question Tell me about your winter riding.

Living in California I have the good fortune to be able to ride all year long. Don't even get much rain here in SoCal. Before you accuse me of bragging, we need to have something to justify the high prices and all the crazies!

Are you able to ride in the winter in your neck of the woods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 1:36 pm

I'm in Central Nevada. It gets really cold here in the winter due to my location and the 6000' elevation. Luckily, I can just head south, it's just a couple of hours away to Death Valley and 4 1/2 hours to Las Vegas.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 1:49 pm

I live in eastern/central South Carolina and am able to ride year-round as well. We have a couple of days in late December and January where the temps will drop into the upper teens or low 20s in the morning, so my Gerbings heated pants, gloves, socks and jacket liner do the trick for my daily 75 mile round-trip ride into/from work. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Gregg L.
'05 LT, Lt Metallic Yellow (of course)
Southeast PA

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 1:54 pm

I bought my LT from a friend in Indianapolis last March. Rode 'er home here to Wyoming as my 'introduction' ride. Temps dropped down to 13 degrees at one point. Had a Widder vest and many layers. Worked well.

I guess I'm a bit of a throw back. I've an LT, but don't really spend a lot of time doing distance. She's my daily go to work, visit clients and get stuff done machine. More of a 'pick up truck' on two wheels. Winter's come'n, snow'll be fly'n - see how much gumption I've got to push through.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
I bought my LT from a friend in Indianapolis last March. Rode 'er home here to Wyoming as my 'introduction' ride. Temps dropped down to 13 degrees at one point. Had a Widder vest and many layers. Worked well.

I guess I'm a bit of a throw back. I've an LT, but don't really spend a lot of time doing distance. She's my daily go to work, visit clients and get stuff done machine. More of a 'pick up truck' on two wheels. Winter's come'n, snow'll be fly'n - see how much gumption I've got to push through.

I use mine as a commuter too. Wish I had more time for long distance touring, but the kids are young and the wife a bit testy about me taking off without her since I travel for work alot too.

I was curious about you immigration work in Wyoming? We have some issues here and could use good help! And penguin farming could be useful too!
post #6 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 2:17 pm

Nah, we have all year long riding also. Sometimes dips into the 50's a la southern CA but the LT take all of the sting out of it! Rainy season more of a PITA!
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishS
I was curious about you immigration work in Wyoming? We have some issues here and could use good help! And penguin farming could be useful too!
Well, the Immigration work is mostly ensuring folks wanting to move out here and settle know the realities of life on the high plains/Rocky Mnts. We are just a bit particular 'bout who we allow in ya know <g>. Long hard winters, brown summers, lack of services, etc, etc. (really, just a gesture of frustration at the population influx that's destroyed much of the charm that broght so many from either coast out here in the first place).

Penguin Farming? Heres one of many good places to start. Penguin Farming

What's CRC? And is it best to use fibergalss or galvinized screens?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 3:50 pm

I thought I would ride long into the winter last year, but...
I was on my way to work one frosty morning last November. I had negotiated three 90 degree turns and one stop sign, and then approached a stop sign on a slight down slope. I applied the brakes and nothing happened! Initially I thought "Oh crap the brakes failed", but quickly realized I was experiencing the joy of anti-lock brakes on a frosty road. I came to a stop in the middle of the intersection, luckily there was no cross traffic. That was the last morning I rode to work til March.
Be safe out there.
post #9 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Right coast, near DC -- year 'round unless there's ice on the ground, which is the case only a few days a year.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #10 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 6:45 pm

Quote:
In Oklahoma, we only get a few days that you can't ride.

Usually 2-7 days of either snow or ice.

Temperature keeps the fair weather guys inside, not road conditions.

I usually commute all year, except for ice/snow.
Long trips, I want it 35F or above. I don't like getting away from home, and possibly getting stranded due to snow/ice.

If your search the old board for "Broken Bow", you'll see I actually rode in some ice !! I don't recomend it !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #11 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 6:57 pm

In Arizona

In Arizona many riders are just now getting their bikes out of the garage. The one hundred degree plus temperatures just broke last week. There will be good riding weather until June, no rain, sunny everyday, and daytime highs at least 65.

Come down and visit.
post #12 of 25 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
What's CRC? And is it best to use fibergalss or galvinized screens?
Good question. CRC is colorectal cancer. I happen to manage a business that makes a screening test for it. Anyone here over 50 years of age should be screened every year. It is a preventable cancer, yet the number 2 cancer killer in the US.
post #13 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:40 am

Never seen snow. What's it like?
I don't even ride in the rain much.
330+ dry days per year
post #14 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 1:26 am

Garage
Thankfully, I do not own a four wheeler, so the choice is simple.
post #15 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 1:40 am

Quote:
Living in California I have the good fortune to be able to ride all year long. Don't even get much rain here in SoCal. Before you accuse me of bragging, we need to have something to justify the high prices and all the crazies!

I've ridden as cold as 19 degrees outside. As long as their isn't snow or ice on the road, I'm on the bike.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 5:48 am

Winter Fun

Quote:
Er, yeah but not in the summer!!!

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #17 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 5:55 am

I ride year round, unless there is snow pack on the roads or wet due to salting. There's times when I have to ride 400 feet over my snow packed side street to get to the bare main street, but that's not a problem. Gerbing's jacket liner, socks and gloves make things very toasty. Dick
post #18 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:51 am

Year-round riding

Winters in northern Idaho have been very mild the last few years. If the streets are free of snow and ice, and temperatures above freezing, it's riding weather! I have been able to ride at least one day every month with just my normal cold weather riding gear (Cortech jacket, insulated pants, insulated boots and winter gloves.) I keep threatening to buy some Gerbings heated liners, but with the LT's heated seats and grips, I haven't found the need yet. Of course, I don't depend on the motorcycle for daily transportation, but it's fun to get out in the bright sunshine when you can get it up here.
post #19 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:53 am

Wink

When it gets cold down here in San Diego we usually have to bundle up in a long sleeve shirt until it warms up. I don't know why the bike has heated seats and grips.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #20 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:40 pm

I'm in Minneapolis. I got my LT July '04 and since we didn't have much snow last winter, I've managed to ride at least one day every month except January.

I use the LT for my daily commute (short - only 10 miles) almost all the time as long as there is not snow or ice. or if it's raining too hard (it's not the staying dry, but rather, I don't trust the cage drivers in the hard rain).

I'd have ridden more while there was snow, but I have an alley leading to my garage that gets very rutted (like 6 inches deep), and I don't trust myself to get the bike out of the ruts and into the driveway. Coldest I've ridden in is the teens (Helmet, Ski jacket and gloves, blue jeans).

Harv
post #21 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:55 pm

Cool It is great as long is there is no snow/ice!

I ride every month of the year. Here in Wisconsin we receive plenty of snow/ice, but when the roads are clear and free of slick spots...I will ride again. I can handle riding for long distances when it is around 30+ degrees...any colder than that and it has to be a short ride. I have to admit that the GERBINGS riding gear makes it all possible.

I rode this weekend from Madison, WI to Omaha, NE to visit friends. It was only 38-42 degrees with a stiff 20+mph hour NW wind for about 300 miles of the trip. I received alot of strange looks and even a few comments at gas stations, but everyone is curious on how we can do it. It beats the heck out of riding in 95+ degree weather...

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

post #22 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 2:21 pm

I used to try to ride at least once a month all year around. I made a rule that the ride had to be at least 30 miles to count. About 3 years ago I went out in December. The roads were clear and dry. I did several hards stops to make sure the roads were not frosty. I went for about two blocks. While making a left turn at a stop light I ran over a tape paint stripe. The stripe had some frost on it and the back end slid out and down I went. Damage was over a $1,000. Winter riding became too expensive. I now park the bike at first snow and wait until the roads clear in late March or early April.
post #23 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 2:27 pm

Year around in Seattle.

I ride year around unless we get icy conditions. That is usually only a couple weeks out of the year.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #24 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 2:35 pm

Talking

Here in N.Texas you can ride just about year round. Just watch out for ice.
The LT is much better in cool/cold weather than the KTM is due to the tupperware protection. The coldest I have ridden the KTM so far..only had it 2 months now...is 38 degrees and that was pretty chilly. I think the LT might get more attention for the next few months. I've ridden long miles at 20 degrees and stayed warm thanks to the Widder vest.
Way back in a previous lifetime, when I had a Kawasaki 250 Enduro, I used to really pray for snow, the more the better. Lived in Stillwater, Okla at the time. I worked at a Buick dealer that had a big field with hills and gullies and great Enduro riding. When it snowed many of the employees would line up at the windows and watch me ride the hills. If you've never tried hill climbing in snow you have missed some fun....at least until the knobbies get hard packed and you lose all traction. Then it can get comical...at least for those watching. Of course I was in my 20's at the time.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #25 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 3:15 pm

Winter riding

In Delaware we usually get a couple to three weeks of ice. Other than during those few days we ride all year. I have motosport riding gear, a symax helmet and Gerbings heated vest. I wear Motophoria touring gloves (only manufacturer that makes 4x) and use the heated grips on high.

Normal rides are three hours without stops in the winter, and longer in the summer. I find that my hydration kit hose freezes, so I have to run it inside my jacket. When it takes me an hour to prepare for a ten minute ride, I don't go, but 10 degrees is very do-able for three hours. When you get real cold, stop because all your reflexes have slowed to the point where it is dangerous to ride.

carl

Patti (Toscanna Green 2002)
No Name (Red/Dk Red FXDWG 1993)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in