Help with throttle cable upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Help with throttle cable upgrade

I am trying to install the throttle cable upgrade kit at the grip. The new piece with the "repair kit" (what the manual calls the throttle cable relay) is held on by two screws that are somewhat behind the grip. Is there an easy way to remove the screws to install the new plastic piece? Can't find this anywhere on the site.

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 1:07 pm

pm'd you

I remember the tech telling me to cut it off with dikes, its easier than trying to get to the screws. You won't need the old one again anyway, if its the piece I think you are talking about.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

The piece isn't uesd again, 'cause the "upgraded" part takes its place. The problem is, I still need to get the two screws out that hold it in, and I can't see an easy way to do it. The wheel for the cable is in the way, and the screw does not appear to be able to clear it. I remember seeing someone who had done this, and they posted some great pictures of what looks like all put together, but I don't remember seeing any infor on this step. To make it clearer, I have an '01 that had the original style cables, and I am trying to install the upgrades ones that I believe they came out with in '05.

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 4:28 pm

The throttle grip will slide off when you twist it all the way to idle and pull it off the pipe. Remember that the heated grip wire are still attached to the grip.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

So if I disconnect the heated grip wire is that sufficient? When I ordered these cables I didn't stop to think about and service bulletins regarding this. Plus, the manual is okay, but obviously doesn't address this type of upgrade. I appreciate your response! I HATE it when the bike is down and I can't enjoy the weather. Plus, I missed two good rides with our local group of old farts so far. I have the rest of this done and put back together as far as I dare without being able to connect the cables and check how they work.

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 5:03 pm

To remove the grip, you need to not only disconnect the grip heater wires, but you also will need to force feed some of that wire into the handlebars so you'll have enough slack to allow you to slide the grip off of the bars. Hardest part is getting the two wires removes from the plug terminal. They are in one four terminal plug (along the the left grip heater wires)

I don't recall having to do this on mine. Thought you could just bend the rubber grip over to gain access to the two screws. I might be mistaking.
I just snipped the old piece off.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #7 of 11 Old May 1st, 2006, 8:28 am

You do not need to remove the grip! By working the open end of the grip, the end next to the "relay", back toward the end of the handlebar you can gain enough access to remove the screws. And also enough access to put the new screws in the new plate.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #8 of 11 Old May 1st, 2006, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I am going to try this tonight when I get home if it isn't too late! Old Blue is getting pretty tired of sitting still.

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #9 of 11 Old May 1st, 2006, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks to all who had suggestions! Got the cables installed this afternoon. Ended up having to loosen the brake mechanism and slide it over a little farther to get enough clearance. Even sliding the handle back slightly, I couldn't get enough clearance for the screws. Worked great after moving the brake mechanism over a little. And for all those still wondering, the new style cables are MUCH easier! Thanks again!

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:06 pm

Broken heated grip wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
To remove the grip, you need to not only disconnect the grip heater wires, but you also will need to force feed some of that wire into the handlebars so you'll have enough slack to allow you to slide the grip off of the bars. Hardest part is getting the two wires removes from the plug terminal. They are in one four terminal plug (along the the left grip heater wires)

I don't recall having to do this on mine. Thought you could just bend the rubber grip over to gain access to the two screws. I might be mistaking.
I just snipped the old piece off.
Not sure if I'm doing this right, but I broke a throttle return cable on the road, and when "removing" my heated grip, I broke the wire. Do you know how the wire attaches to the grip? I.e., can I repair it or bit the bullet and buy a new one. I have the chrome grips like on the 1200C (with the black inserts), not the grooved, black grips.

Thanks bunches!
KB
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:08 pm

Broken heated grip wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
You do not need to remove the grip! By working the open end of the grip, the end next to the "relay", back toward the end of the handlebar you can gain enough access to remove the screws. And also enough access to put the new screws in the new plate.
Not sure if I'm doing this right, but I broke a throttle return cable on the road, and when "removing" my heated grip, I broke the wires. Do you know how the wire attaches to the grip? I.e., can I repair it or bit the bullet and buy a new one. I have the chrome grips like on the 1200C (with the black inserts), not the grooved, black grips.

Thanks bunches!
KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in