Trouble with Reverse Enagement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 8:04 am Thread Starter

Trouble with Reverse Enagement

When I tried to put my LT in reverse the other day I had some difficultly turning the lever to the "R" position. Is this common, or is there something I'm missing here. The motor was off and the transmission in neutral.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 8:09 am

I've always found it much easier to engage reverse with the engine idling in neutral.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 8:30 am

Starter?

I was under the impression that you cannot engage the reverse lever with the engine off, has to running in idle and neutral. On top of that the starter motor is what runs backwards to run the reverse. So are you sure you want to start the bike with the reverse engaged???

Anyway even with the engine running in idle mine is hard to engage, rock the bike back and forth and it usually gets in no problem. Mine originally worked for 5 seconds and quit. I took out the right side fairing and under the gaz tank loosen the wires that are so tightly ran on the frame and voila, it worked fine.....

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 8:59 am

Walk into reverse...

on my '05 it seems I have to "walk it" an inch or two to get reverse to take about 2/3 of the time.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
I was under the impression that you cannot engage the reverse lever with the engine off, has to running in idle and neutral. On top of that the starter motor is what runs backwards to run the reverse. So are you sure you want to start the bike with the reverse engaged???

Anyway even with the engine running in idle mine is hard to engage, rock the bike back and forth and it usually gets in no problem. Mine originally worked for 5 seconds and quit. I took out the right side fairing and under the gaz tank loosen the wires that are so tightly ran on the frame and voila, it worked fine.....
You have to have the engine running first, because you certainly cannot start it when the reverse lever is engaged. If you do switch the lever before starting the engine (you can), the starter button does nothing, as reverse action is locked out if the engine is not running.

I found out the hard way once. I had parked with a lot of other motorcycles by using reverse to back it into a space. A few hours later when we were all leaving, I thought my battery had died. Starter button did nothing, but then we noticed my headlight was on bright, so battery was good. After checking everything over, side stand, etc., it dawned on me. I had left the reverse lever engaged.

The starter motor does not run backwards for reverse, it is just that it is engaged to the tranny reverse gears when the lever is moved. The sprag clutch in the engine spins freewheeling on it's hub when the engine is running, as it does all the time, so the starter is not driving the engine when the engine is turning faster than the starter motor. When the engine is not running, the sprag clutch locks up and turns the engine until it starts, then the engine is again overruning the starter motor.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by dshealey; Apr 28th, 2006 at 9:35 am.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfisher
When I tried to put my LT in reverse the other day I had some difficultly turning the lever to the "R" position. Is this common, or is there something I'm missing here. The motor was off and the transmission in neutral.
Thanks
See post #3 in this thread for some insight into the reverser engagement (latter part of the post): http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ht=dogs+engage

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:30 am
Premium Vendor

That situation was pointed out by my salesman when they delivered my Lt. Like the other posts said: Either rock it and inch or two or push the bike forward or reverse an inch or two and it engages immediately.

Tony 05
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 1:03 pm

Found rocking worked great for me as well. Used it for the first time a couple weeks ago and after rocking no issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in