Have you dropped your LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Have you dropped your LT?

This question was form Dry Rider, "Have you dropped your LT?"

Please see the separate Poll Thread and let us know. It's anonymous!!

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Oct 8th, 2005 at 3:17 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 2:44 pm

.... well yes, but maybe, thereagain no ....

In the first week, it decided to stop sitting on it's centre stand, and lie down and have a rest - I was not even on it at the time (LHS). The second time was out in Italy, when a kid, after he was called by his parents, dashed out from behind a car, in a car park, straight in front of me. To save getting any nasty red staining on the bike, I laid. it down, trial bike style (RHS)...

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #3 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 2:54 pm

It wasn't my fault either

post #4 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Not yet, (purchased in March added 11K miles)

shoot just jinxed it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 3:18 pm

Talking

I laid it down leaving the dealership after purchase. There was a truck blocking my view of the street, and I had to make a sharp turn out of the parking place. I slipped the clutch to get out with the wheel turned, and as soon as I could see past the truck I see I am about to be eaten by a car. Laid it down to avoid that. I was so embarrassed I picked it up like it weighed 30 lbs! Luckily it taught me a lesson without any real harm.
post #6 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 5:11 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
This question was form Dry Rider, "Have you dropped your LT?"

Please see the separate Poll Thread and let us know. It's anonymous!!

Would you belive I dropped mine 3 times in 5½ years
First time first day !!!!!!!

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #7 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 5:38 pm

Not only dropped - but I've spun 'er on her side.

Last drop was while trying to turn around in a werid parking lot. Steep and various angles. I'd parked once, side stand down and the bike was past vertical AWAY from the side stand. Decided to do the ol 180 and try again. Missed something, she went down on the left side, facing uphill and as I set 'er down I made the damn fool mistake of twisting the throttle. In first gear the rear caught just enough to spin 'er on the J-peg. Thought I'd run over myself.

Thankfully, only damage was the front, lower edge of the j-peg. about 2 inches worth look like it's been through a car shredder. Amazingly, not a scratch anywhere else. No idea how I pulled that off.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 5:39 pm

Red face Right side

Dropped it about 3 weeks from purchase date in driveway while getting ready for a ride..In front of the whole neighborhood!! Muscled it back up using prescribed technique..Managed a smile to everyone as I rode off in a cloud of embarrassment!!
post #9 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 6:57 pm

At Road Atlanta in the parking lot during the AMA races. I was stuffing my coat in the top box while exerting a moderate forward pressure and the bike was on the side stand and in neutral :'(( . It just went over very gently and quietly in front of a Yamaha rider who was watching the whole thing. More mad with myself than embarassed. It was stupid.

I did it one other time in Wyoming this year on Casper Mountain Road where I should not have been. I will try to attach a picture. It wasn't pretty. But at least I now have that part of my LT life done with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Missoula and Saratoga 031.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	211  
post #10 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:00 pm

Not today

Not too recently neither but definitely more than thrice.
post #11 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Put center stand down on some large rocks, got off and it fell over. No damage as it fell on the grass. Lucky. At least for a month or so. Stopped at an intersection turned around to ask wife something before a complete stop, and you know the rest of the story. I never look anywhere but straight ahead when stopping now. No problems so far.
post #12 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:13 pm

I think the better question would be: "who HASN'T dropped their LT?"
Unfortunately for me, 2 summers, 2 drops, both on left side (rolled off the kickstand - I knew better than to leave it in netural) and the right - parking lot with lots of sand on it.

Heart sinks, swear words emerge...but I think it happens to most of us.
post #13 of 62 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:35 pm

Jim, that right there is my backyard. The house here is less than 5 miles staright line from that photo. That area across the valley there is often called "Muddy Mountain".

When was that? I find out you been here in town with an LT and I didn't get to buy ya a cuppa - well, boyo.... <g>

And I gotta agree. Off-pavement is not one of the LT's strong point.

Tate

post #14 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:15 am

Twice

Third day of ownership. Bike on side stand, heavy buddy got on as passenger, momentum took over, fell over on right side. Lucky no scratches.
Seventh day - hadn't figured out how reverse worked (no manual, no knowlege, no nothing). Was walking the beast backwards out of the garage, when the rear tire droped of entrance ramp, everything started going over to the right, couldn't hold it. Some lunkhead, I'm not admitting anything, forgot to raise the sidestand.
post #15 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 9:50 am

Zotter,

Prolly the morning of June 1st. There was snow at the top and was just wet as I went down the other side from Casper. My GPS didn't tell me that the road wasn't that good!! The weather going up the mountain was nice as you can see from the picture. I was heading to Saratoga to go fishing on the North Platte.

The Sheriff's deputy that helped get the beast uprighted was really nice. Her name was Cathi Potter.

What was really cool was that my cell phone didn't have service, but on a lark I tried 911 and I got the Natrona County dispatcher. I would recommend that anyone in a fix where there cell doesn't seem to have service to try 911 anyway.

Thanks for the offer of coffee. I will be coming through there next year sometime and let you know. I will prolly be in a better mood to accept coffee than I would have been in June.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seattle to Peachtree City 021.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	606.0 KB
ID:	228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seattle to Peachtree City 032.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	229  
post #16 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 9:54 am

Thanks to God and the long legs of my wife, who was on the back when I came the closest to dropping, I haven't yet. Once I learned, DON'T have the wheel turned at a stop...hasn't even come close to falling over.

Now that I've said that, watch me drop it today.

Keith
post #17 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie
I think the better question would be: "who HASN'T dropped their LT?"
Unfortunately for me, 2 summers, 2 drops, both on left side (rolled off the kickstand - I knew better than to leave it in netural) and the right - parking lot with lots of sand on it.

Heart sinks, swear words emerge...but I think it happens to most of us.
Actoolly Scottie, You would be incorrect. I dropped mine the first weekend I got over a year an a half ago. I also dropped it two weeks ago when I was trying to get turned around in a Motorcycle Only parking area and applied the front brake with front wheel turned. So, I figure the above survey works just fine.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #18 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 1:17 pm

Jim, know what ya mean by the maps not tellig the whole story there. Gets quite a few.

On your way to saratoga, I assume you took 130 over the Snowies? Through Centenial. One of my favorite runs down there. I used to live in Larame and run over to a cafe for lunch about half way down the West side. Occasionaly me and the wife would take the rest of the day and enjoy the hot springs in Saratoga.

I know the name of that deputy - don't know her myself. Locals LEOs are pretty helpful if you're the initiating contact.

Look forward to sharing a brew someday. If ya need - there's also 'transient billets' for LT pilots availabe at Cassa de Zot.

Shiney side up!
Tate

Tate

post #19 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by waycoa
Not too recently neither but definitely more than thrice.
Hey! I resemble that remark.
post #20 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 5:08 pm

Nope

20k, and no drops. Of course, I am 6'4, 245, and long legged..

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #21 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Ali has never been down.
Now out...that is a Horse of a Different Color.
post #22 of 62 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 6:29 pm
was

Three times in the first 4 weeks, 2 on the left side, 1 on the right. All were related to slow speed, coming to a stop with my head and eyes down and the front wheel turned. I thought I would have to give up riding the bike until I came upon this community and found out that a) others also had dropped their bikes; b) a simple change in technique would go a long way toward keeping the bike upright; and c) there even is a technique for getting the bike up again solo. Now I don't much worry about it.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #23 of 62 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 6:50 am

Dropped in the privacy of my own garage

I was performing the 24,000 Mile service in the privacy of my own garage. The engine oil was draining and I was also starting to let the tranny fluid drain, but I decided it would be easier to remove the muffler stabilizer piece if the bike was on the side stand. So, thought I would just rock er off the main stand while I was standing to her left as she was spilling all her fluids. Well, I rocked it off the stand, and before I knew it, she got heavy to the right and about the same second was on her right side, now oil was spilling out the fill hole since I had already removed the cap. My good oil drain pan was crushed and I got the delight of picking her up standing in a huge puddle of oil in my rubber thongs.

Nobody in the neighborhood saw it, but I was still embarrassed.
post #24 of 62 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 8:01 am

Dropped it? Are you kidding?

First time: Before I bought it. Picture this: Dealer offers me the bike for the weekend (so I could test the seat vs. my bad back). Next day, 500 miles later, new girlfriend on the back, we arrive at a posh resort for lunch after a beautiful morning ride along the river. Porsches, etc. everywhere, but no other bikes. Envious looks all around (not my imagination, mostly). Lunch over, time to dress for the ride back. Remove helmets from top case and cue gentle push on latch to close. Bike rolls off sidestand and crashes to the ground. Most impressive. Score minor recovery points by hoisting beast as per manual (preread, fortunately). No damage other than crash bar covers. I bought the bike, and married the girl.

Subsequent times: 2-3 times (?) dropped it after backing it out of the garage. Both sides. Temporary loss of attention = feelings of stupidity.

Worst time: Sandy trail that didn't even lead to the friend's cottage. Wrong turn, soldiered on, big mistake. Scratches to fairing (since repainted), bashed cover plates (since replaced), bruised thumb (since healed), jolted wife (as above).

This year: 0 times. Finally catching on after five years.

What do I win?
post #25 of 62 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:02 pm

Not yet, but have come close a time or two.

(knock on head).

BB

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

post #26 of 62 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:50 pm

I dropped mine about 3 weeks after I purchased it. I was parking it at work where I had about a 10 yard wide drive to turn it around 180 degrees. I had been 'duck walking' in around until this day I decided I could ride it around.

I can't remember dropping a bike in 20 years until this happened. The LT is by far the hardest bike to handle at low speed of any bike I have ever riden. When it started down, I decided I could save it. That was not a smart idea! It ended up laying on it's right side with my right ankle trapped under the j-peg. Next time I'll just let it fall.

Many think this problem is because it is so top heavy. I believe it to be a combination of being top heavy and too tall geared in 1st gear. It requires a lot of clutch and throttle control that is not necessary if 1st gear is lower. I like a heavy touring bike that can creep at low speed without choking the engine. I'd like a 6 speed LT with a lower 1st gear. No need for a 1st gear that will run 40 mph.
post #27 of 62 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 1:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Happened to me once with the SO in the back. It was at a stop sign uphill and a left downhill slope. I tried to stop at the sign... and there was no gournd for me step on... just too darn far. The bike went slowly but surely down on the left side, fortunatly I was close enough to the landscaped sidewalk and nothing at all got scratched, except for my ego. A father-son duo stopped by and helped me up the bike. They are GW riders and know how difficult it can be...

It was about a year and half ago and hasn't happened since. I put lots o' miles on the beast hand have become very comfortable with low-speed handling, even with a passenger.

Gilles
post #28 of 62 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 2:16 pm

No drop yet.....but I have had several close calls. I think eventually it will happen.
post #29 of 62 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 2:36 pm

Dropped my '05 the first day on the way to PA from Daytona BMW. and once more on the second day, trying the ill fated stop with the front wheel turned (don't ever do this again). I've been really lucky and careful since and (knock on wood) have not been over since day one and two.

Mark Good
Lancaster, PA
05' K 1200 LT
post #30 of 62 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Link to the Poll

Okay, Dry_Rider said that some people may have difficulty getting to the poll so.... let's give this a try. I'm still learning this new website so let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Click HERE to get to Poll.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #31 of 62 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 2:40 am

My First...

My first drop is what you call Irony.

Spent two glorious weeks traveling the western roads with a friend. Some travel in part was to my first ever CCR event. The remaining, was because the roads are there.

In very short detail... We traveled NE from California to CCR (2005), then continued on up through Yellowstone, the Glaciers, down the Oregon Coast, over through Lassen St.Park and through the backway of Lancaster towards the I5.

The ride was great. The weather couldn't have been better.

That was until, we came to our last fill-up of the ride. Less than 1 hour from home. Literally the last 50 miles of the trip. I fill up the bike, pickup the receipt from the cashier, go to hop back into the saddle (perhaps alittle to quickly), and, the bike (which I might add, had an additional 125 in packing on it) and thats when those words rang through my head that you never stop this bike from going over... you mearly slow its decent.

Needless to say, both bike and I headed straight sideways into the gas pump.

Pinned downed by what was surely to at least 925 pounds, my friend, gas attendant, and several other nearby customers came running to my rescue.

Is the Irony part sinking in yet :/ Keep reading then...

Damage... well, other than my pride, a now rippled side case chrome trim peace, a slightly bent rear brake lever, and, a few small scratches on the underside of the right saddle bag I'd have to say....

Well, I said plenty when I was pinned down by the bike, only to be stairing at this until my rescuer's arrived.

Remember the 7 words you can't say on television? well I added a few.

Oh, I almost forgot... my souvenir

post #32 of 62 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 6:29 am

Dang, Billy...

Still like that farkle ya got on that hooligan "R" Bike!!!! Where'd ya get that thang?
post #33 of 62 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 8:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Yup

Dropped mine about 2 months ago.

Was pulling out into traffic, someone changed into my lane (their turn signals were broken), I realized I couldn't make the move without getting hit. I applied brakes and they did NOT work so I squeezed to the grip and then they locked. Since I was leaned into the manuever the bike immediately started going down to the left.

I stalled the engine so it wouldn't roll into traffic after disembarking, so I "rolled" off to the left.

It was a sad sight to see, indeed.

The only damage was from from the fall. There was no "forward" scraping on the parts. I righted the beast, however will have to detail that elsewhere.

BMW dealer replaced the failed braking unit.. all is goooood!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #34 of 62 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Oh, yes, and almost a disaster!

I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to! I'm new to the LT, and just did a solo cross-country tour on it as my first experience on it (see my post under "Ride Tales" for details). My second day out, I was feeling pretty comfy with the bike after a few hundred miles. Too comfy, it seems. I was on a stretch of deserted desert about 15 miles east of Twenty-Nine Palms, CA on SR62 and decided to stop at a turnout to take a picture of this desolation with no sign of human habitation in sight in any direction (we just don't see things like this in the Northeast!). I popped down the side stand, hopped off the bike, then opened the top case to get out my camera. This last act gave the bike an ever-so-soft nudge forward, and it rolled off the side stand and started to list to the left. OH NO! I scooted around to catch it, and managed to stop the downward motion, but couldn't move it back up at all. After about 30 seconds of agonizing effort, and no success, my muscles started to give out and the bike started to move towards the pavement again. I now understand the term "inexorable". It finally came to rest gently on the two aptly-named crash bars fore and aft, with me standing dejectedly beside it, wondering how heavy this bike really is (I've raised a couple of others without difficulty in the past). Well, I don't have to tell you but I will anyway: I couldn't lift it myself. As I looked up and down the deserted two-lane, I realized I hadn't seen another vehicle in some time. After a while, I was elated to note an approaching cage with a woman driving and a male passenger. SAVED! They sped right by. I imagined the woman telling her husband that this might be one of those tricks that "outlaw bikers" use to make people stop so they can rape and rob them. Well, if so, the man had more sense and convinced her to turn around. I explained what had happened, and jokingly asked the guy "How's your back?". "Actually his back isn't too good," the wife says, but the guy jumps out of the car and starts LIMPING over to me and the LT! Well, with him holding onto the front brake lever to keep the bike from rolling and me pushing up again, we did it! It was only then that I remembered the advice someone on this site had given me to always park the LT in gear when using the side stand, so that's what I did, and now I do it religiously, almost never putting the transmission in Neutral. In fact, I've started that practice when parking my Harley now, too, even though the side stand has a catch to keep it from rolling forward. I've learned you can never be too safe! After I thanked my saviors profusely, I grabbed the camera to get that shot. If I could figure out how to attach a photo to this post, you could see what I mean by "deserted desert"--I only took the one shot--it looked the same in every direction!

Bill
post #35 of 62 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 9:52 am

Red face

So, I'm waiting to pull up next to my riding buddy in the parking lot of Arches National Park at the "Delicate Arch" observation point. There's a car backing out of the spot next to him, so I wait. The spot clears and as I get ready to pull into the now open spot I get this uncomfortable feeling wash over me, like I know I'm going to drop the bike. I pause for a moment and reconsider the situation. Thinking I have things under control, I proceed to slowly glide into the spot. Just as I predict, I drop the bike.

I get thrown off the bike as it goes down. I bounce hard on my butt, yelling something stupid which does nothing more than attract undesired attention to me and my embarrassing situation.

My buddy comes over to see if I'm hurt, which I later realize I am. As I get up, I grab the bike using the standard method I've become so good at, hauling it back up onto the side stand. This time I've clipped off the running light. So I manage to gracefully remove the damaged hanging light by quickly ripping it from the plugs and tossing it in the trunk for later, more private, damage control and assessment.

I keep quiet about pinching my index finger between the clutch lever and grip during the attempt to keep the 850lb beast upright. I think I may have fractured the finger because it still hurts when I flex it, to this day.

During this vacation trip with my buddy (a GoldWing'er) I've managed to drop her three times, once while making a U-turn on a gravel road, once while in sand at a roadside stop during a photo opportunity and this time in front of about 30+ people on dry flat blacktop because I psyched myself into it. He managed to drop his 'wing once while stopped at our camp site for reasons unknown.

I've since replaced the tip-over wing covers and used the opportunity to replace the damaged running light with upgraded units and mount them in a more protected spot to avoid loosing them if I ever drop her again. (Ya, right, when I drop her again)
post #36 of 62 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 1:15 am

Well, I did it again!! dropped the LT while coming out of shopping center driveway at night..trying to make a left turn into traffic while looking left at first then started to roll in a slight right turn to enter the flow when I looked right and saw this cage making a lane change to the left in the direction I was planning to go..I hit the brakes(yep, front ones) without thinking and the next thing I know she is on her way down..D__n!! Not again!! Anyway, no traffic, at night, no audience so I kill the engine, first gear and walk it back upright and remount the beast and I'm on my way no worse for the wear except a few more scratches to the engine guard..I now consider myself in the expert category for uprighting LT's..LOL!!
post #37 of 62 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Cool Dropped once on the first day!

Well, now I know that I'm not the only one who dropped their LT on Day 1! Leaving my rural Tennessee sloped and graded driveway, slipped in gravel and over she went! Never dropped a bike until then and that momentarily dented my confidence as well as freaking out my onlooking bride! That was July '06, not probs since (always park it level and in gear!)
post #38 of 62 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Three Times

Two in the same day with the wife. The third in the parking lot at work. All three time were at slow speed with the forks turned slightly and just touching the front brakes. Doesn't take much.
post #39 of 62 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:05 pm
gsd

Honestly.......NO. I have dropped every other bike that I've ever owned......bicycles included.
post #40 of 62 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:42 pm

two types of bikers out there......those who have dropped and those who will drop......dropped mine the 2nd day...embarassing, yes...but it was done....2 nd time i dropped it......I learned that the mirrors popped back on......cool!!!!!
post #41 of 62 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:50 am

Drop Shmop! I've been known to throw it down in a parking lot, thereby showing my cruiser friends some real bad attitude. Never admit to a drop. Be unpredictable.

'Course you lose a little something if you need help pickin' her back up...

Jim
post #42 of 62 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 6:56 am

First Day

Rode it home, let the air out of the back tyre to fill it with Ultraseal, whilst sqeezing hard on the bottle my knuckles caught the wheel. Over she went. I 'd had it 3 hours.

Not the riding home and impressing the neighbours I'd imagined.

Deryck
post #43 of 62 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:56 pm

yes i have, Haven't you?

I bought my '00 on a Saturday. Parked it in the garage. I was on night shift, so I ride it every day around the neighborhood to get used to the weight and feel of the bike at slow speeds. I even went on a shakedown cruise for 100 mi. Over all I was feeling very confident about my ability with the bike and it querks. On Friday, I decide to ride it to work and show it to my co-workers. I procede to back it out of the garage and take off down the road. everything is working great. I reach down and realize I don't have my cell phone so, i go back to the house. I park it next to my R-Class on the side stand. go get my phone. As I get back to the bike, my wife calls (good thing I came back for the phone).

After the call, I get back on the bike. My foot hits the right foot peg, and over she goes. Nothing I could do but get clear. She bangs right into my Benz. Huge scratches on the door and mirror. One small dent in the door. I manage to right her to the stand. Wiped the scratches off the Benz and had one very nervous ride to work.

The dent is small enough that I don'e have to fix it for the end of my lease. The scratches were to the clear coat made by the wind screen. It looked alot worse than it actually was. I was verry worried when I saw what I thought was a broken mirror on my LT, till I figured out that they were designed to pop off. Not one scratch to the bike.

This made for an exciting week. Bought an LT, laid it down.

P.S. The gang at work loved the bike.
post #44 of 62 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 9:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Not Yet

I'm a newbie. I haven't dropped mine yet. I've ridden a Yamaha Venture for the last 2 years and if you've never kicked one of those off the sidestand, then you don't know what top heavy is. You have 6 gallons of gas above crotch level. It's quite a beast. I find the LT much lighter and easier to handle. It pushes much easier, maybe because of the dry clutch. The closest I came to dropping the Venture was stopping at a T intersection while in a slight, right turn. I almost did it. I was 2 up and it was all I could do to right it. Never made that mistake again. I'm 6' and 210# and can flat foot the LT. It's quite a change from the Venture but I love it. I can't wait for Spring to get here. I wanna see the Texas hill country and the Davis mountains out West. I'll be ready to ride when the sun pops out...........
post #45 of 62 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:08 pm

Have you dropped your LT?

Yes I did it
The day after I got it, while a maneuver in my garden.
Slightly laid it down ... no damage unless some scratches on the right black wing.
Happily I saw the AVI that showed how to pull it up alone
Since I'm very cautious as I move it.
post #46 of 62 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:24 pm

The first week I had the new fella I stopped at a remote parking lot to try some figure 8s to get used to her handling. Got myself into a position just coming to a stop and couldn't hold her. Down she went, gently. I freaked and had not been educated on the proper procedure to get her up. So I just muscled her up all the time thinking please don't let anyone come along and see this! Talk about busting a gut! Well I got her up (she had gone down on her right side) and I found myself standing on the right side of the bike. Stood there panting, hoping I wasn't going to have a cardiovascular incident, and comtemplating how I was going to get back on. The side kick stand was on the other side and I never thought to engage the hydrolic center stand. This is when I realized just how awkward it is to get on the bike from the side your not used to. Just a small scratch on the bumper guard and a very deflated ego! In fact, this is how I discover this web site...got some great help reading about the proper way to lift her and split another gut reading the stories like mine. Didn't feel so bad after that. Kind of a right-of-passage it seems! I guess it is better to chance this event and learn how to handle her in a remote parking lot then in the parking lot of your favorite restaurant!
post #47 of 62 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 9:30 pm

I am a double ACE!

Rusty Snyder
post #48 of 62 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:03 pm

More than once. Always at very, very, very slow speed. Nothing terrible.

MSS
'10 R 1200 GS
'06 K 1200 LT
'03 F 650 CS
BMW MOA # 127729
IBA SS1K x5
post #49 of 62 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWprofessor
This is when I realized just how awkward it is to get on the bike from the side your not used to.
Note to self: practice mounting the BMW from the right side with the sidestand up. (I could do this on some previous bikes, and motorcycle LEOs learn to do this from day one so they can stand on the non-traffic side of the bike.)

Note to BMWprofessor: If the bike is over on the right side, put the sidestand down *before* you lift it. It may or may not stay there. Be sure to roll the bike *backward* a couple inches as you pass full vertical and the sidestand approaches the ground.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #50 of 62 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 5:01 am

First day I had it. Was in a parking lot getting ready to enter the road when out of habit I applied both brakes gently. The front brake stopped the bike dead in its tracks. The front wheel was slightly turned and the bike was leaning to the right. Over I went. Bent my J-peg and hurt my pride. I had to go back many years to my 750 Honda before I ever recalled being down on a bike. Helpless feeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in