ABS unit gone again - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:33 am Thread Starter

ABS unit gone again

Dear All,

I hope this will not be "another" ABS question. Need valuable advise from you folks here. I'm lost...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~History~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bought a 2000 LT 3 weeks ago with a alternate flashing ABS.
Went to the dealer and found out that the valves in the ABS unit were jammed.

After 4 tries, the computer they attached to the socket below the seat managed to free up the valves. After the motronic reset, I was happily e-brake either the front or rear when the street is empty behind me, just so that the ABS can be "exercised" more often. That cost me like 30 USD. I'm in Singapore by the way.

So 3 weeks, ABS kicks in every day I ride, did the emergency brake couple of times each ride, all sweet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~How it was gone today~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At start stop traffic, when I begin to pull off in first gear, I would hear a loud "DING".. sounds very much like the side stand of any bikes being snapped back by the spring. Sound just came on today and it's not everytime I move off. It happened a couple of times and just before I clear off the jam, the alternating ABS started again immediately after pulling off slowly and hearing the last "DING". That was it. Alternate flashing ABS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~What I guess I should do~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1)I think I should check and clean the ABS sensors first. Wouldn't hurt anyway.

2)The battery had been replaced a year back. I have no problems starting the bike each morning (about 26 degree Celcius here). The lights does go off for a moment (less than a second) each time the starter motor turns though.. Weak battery?

3)The cruise control is working fine. So i guess it's not the cable that's tied to the swing arm.

4)Buy a new ABS unit? That will cost me more than a month's salary. It's really not my option now. It's not myself to leave something not working as it is either, especially when it's yelling "ABS failure" right in front of you each time you ride.

The dealer told me that they had cases when ABS failed and they managed to reset it, it will fail again soon.. some failed in weeks, others in months. Don't know if whether resetting it again will help this time. Have to wait till Monday.

Does anybody know how the ABS unit work? I saw the unit before, it had two valves on top and understand that there's a PCB controller inside the unit. Really wish to know why the loud "DING" sound came on today.

I'm lost... please help? Many thanks.

Last edited by plonk; Oct 8th, 2005 at 10:39 am. Reason: more readable now.. too long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:36 am

same problem

I have the same problem on my 2000 LT. I purchased it last October with 8500 miles on it, and rode it all last winter and spring with no problems. When I took it for the 12000 mile service, I had to have rear brake pads, and a front fork seal replaced. I when I picked it up, the abs lights were flashing, and the tech put it on the computer reset it. He said the computer said it was working properly. I rode it for about 3000 miles, and they started flashing again. I just recently had it reset, and thus far it is fine. But, I can't seem to get an explanation as to why it happens. Meaning, the tech doesn't know. I also found out a new abs unit costs $1600, plus about 4-6 hours of labor to replace. For that price, I won't have abs brakes. jrlakin
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 1:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by plonk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~What I guess I should do~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1)I think I should check and clean the ABS sensors first. Wouldn't hurt anyway.

2)The battery had been replaced a year back. I have no problems starting the bike each morning (about 26 degree Celcius here). The lights does go off for a moment (less than a second) each time the starter motor turns though.. Weak battery?
On #1 It couldn't hurt.

#2 That is the load shed relay - it removes the lighting load during cranking of the engine - Normal.

You may be able to salvage the unit with a good flush of brake fluid, as the temps and humidity at your locale will rapidly deteriorate the fluid ( I've been there a few times). Even if you do end up replacing the unit - consider frequent flushes on the fluid. It will make the new unit last a lot longer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 11:59 am

Re: ABS unit gone again

FLush Flush Flush at he pump and the Calipers. Use fresh DOT 4 (old fluid can have moisture in it, should be kept sealed tight). I purchased an air operated vacuum pump to do the flush. After dealer ran a retest, pump started functioning normally. I had a piston failure code. My fluid was dark and probably had never been flushed. Don't forget to flush your vehicles too.
2001 K1200LT 50K

Sglover

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 K1200LT (sold)
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
1997 HD Heritage Soft Tail
1997 HD Sportster
Yamaha YZF650
Honda CB 350-4
Honda CB 350
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:21 am

I am tired of the problems, I am just going to remove the abs unit, make up regular brake lines and run regular brakes.........It works on a all other motorcycles why not the LT?
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 7th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Quote:
I am tired of the problems, I am just going to remove the abs unit, make up regular brake lines and run regular brakes.........It works on a all other motorcycles why not the LT
Good Luck with that...

Take lots of pics and document your procedure..
I'm sure there are others here who might do the same if it works out well for you..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 10 Old Jun 5th, 2011, 4:52 pm

I just did the ABS removal on my 1999 R1100S. It is not that complicated and it will give you a chance to clean up the engine area. I bought stainless lines form Spiegler.
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 5th, 2011, 10:45 pm

i replaced an abs unit on my '01 with 53000 miles. After reading about other people's abs problems i really think BMW has a major problem with these units.It's a shame because the unit is so expensive.
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 2:53 am

Re: ABS unit

Hi All,
I've had problems with my unit for a few years, usually after riding for a while it would work, but this year it seems to have gone completely. Now someone suggested removing the unti and converting back to 'non-ABS' brakes, but I'm also having a problem with the engine fans not cutting in and BMW seem to think that the ABS control unit has dual functions - if you remove the control unit, do you have to fit a manual fan switch?

In the UK these units (incl fitting) are about 2000 ($3000USD), outrageous and seems to be more common than I'd realised. I've been looking round for a replacement, but they seem as rare as hens teeth. I've had my bike from new, it's done no mileage and is always garaged.

Any help appreciated.

Grabbit
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 5:06 am

Interestingly the fan issue now cured, my Independent BMW engineer (who was my local BMW chief engineer for 20yrs) sorted it out.

Now trying to get the flipping ABS to work - really tempted to sell as my R1200C Cruiser also is awful - never taken out in the rain and ALL the chrome has gone - cost to replace 2400 - oh and BMW said, don't bother, its such poor quality it will only go again in a few years........

Blimey now there's an advert for a brand!!!!

Also the place were I get mine worked on has a constant line of problems with LT's Crusisers and GS's - was talking to a guy there a few weeks ago who has virtually spent the same amount on repairs for his 1200GS as he paid for it.

Really not impressed, I bought 4 bikes at the same time (3 Beemers), the only one without a fault is the Kawasaki - says it all really

Grabbit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in