New LT that is going to need a clutch soon - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Sep 20th, 2013, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

New LT that is going to need a clutch soon

I got a 2002 LT a few weeks ago the previous owner said he was riding it 2-up and the clutch slipped. He rode it home and parked it for a few months before trying to sell it. I think I got it for a good deal because it needs a clutch and I plan to replace it myself.
But before replacing the clutch I thought I would ride it around, and it is ride able the clutch engages at the end its travel(almost fully released) and their is a lot of oil residue under the bike that I tried to clean off so I can recheck it after riding more. The suspension also feels loose, not confidence inspiring, it has 71k miles and the front tire is dry-rotted.

When I replace the clutch what seals and gaskets will I need? Will I need to replace the flywheel and pressure-plate? And do you guys have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Sep 20th, 2013, 10:22 pm

Re: New LT that is going to need a clutch soon

Well... let me be first. In the "Stickys section of this forum, I highly suggest that you look at John Z's tutorial on weep hole drilling, parts A,B and C for a prelude as to how to disassemble the bike up to the transmission and reassembly from that point. He has built a stand to support the final drive that facilitates reassembly. Study the video and build yourself one. It will be invaluable when re-installing the final drive.
After the weep hole drilling videos take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-zVPiFuTE
It will give you a feel for what the job requires. If you google BMW K1200LT service manual there are sites where you can download the manual for free.
Good luck

Friends know the song in your heart, and can sing it to you when you have forgotten the words.
post #3 of 34 Old Sep 21st, 2013, 10:09 am

My best suggestion is DO NOT RIDE IT with a dry rotted front tire.Don't run the risk of going down hard and it is likely that your lack of confidence in the handling is due to the old tire(s). These things ride like they are on rails. Take the front wheel to a shop and have the tire(s) replaced before you put it back on the road. Tires are available on line for (sort of) reasonable prices. Make certain you replace the rear tire with a reinforced tire.

You will enjoy this bike.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 34 Old Sep 21st, 2013, 10:36 am

You probably new new shock springs, or if you have a lot of money whole new shocks. Do not buy BMW replacements are they are inferior compared to the aftermarkets out there, plus they cost more than the aftermarket replacements. If you have the tools and a spring compressor you can replace the springs on the shocks yourself and save a SIGNIFICANT amount of money.

Use search and look for "shock spring replacement" and start reading. Note search here is useless for anything with 3 or less letters like FD, ABS, or GPS it's utterly useless. if you get specific and have longer words it works somewhat ok.

A better way to search the site is to use google. for example....

GPS problem site:bmwlt.com

Typing the site:bmwlt.com will only search this site using google and allowing you to actually find things. I have found that almost everything you need to know is here in one way or another.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #5 of 34 Old Sep 21st, 2013, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the search tips timgray

I was also planning to replace the springs with hyperpro, I read they were good. I can see from the front wheel fender that it has been hitting the fairings above it. But I am unsure what is dampening in the front suspension, is the dampening from the shock that the coil spring is around? meaning that the forks are empty and doesnt even have fluid in it?

Also are their any common wear parts in the suspension other than the pivots for the rear swing-arm and rear axle?

I was planning to replace the tire after I replaced the clutch, I have ridden tires a lot worse than this but it is choppy and dry-rotted so I guess I will order one. I wanted to get a Pilot Road 3 that is what I have on the other bike and it has amazing grip in the rain so I like it but that tire doesnt come in a size to fit the LT is that because of max loading? I think I will get the Avon Storm 2 Ultra, it should fit right?
post #6 of 34 Old Sep 21st, 2013, 5:08 pm

Just replacing the springs won't help you all that much, just make the bike sit a little higher, and bounce harder. It will not help handling, since the shocks need to be replaced. You would be wasting money on springs, when you need shocks anyway, and the new ones will have new springs on them.

There is no damping (not dampening) in the fork tubes, they only have oil in them for lubrication of the sliding surfaces.

The best thing you can do for the ride is get Wilburs or Ohlins shocks for it, scrap the stock ones altogether. The Wilburs and Ohlins are rebuildable in the future for a fraction of the replacement cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinocarsfast
Thanks for the search tips timgray

I was also planning to replace the springs with hyperpro, I read they were good. I can see from the front wheel fender that it has been hitting the fairings above it. But I am unsure what is dampening in the front suspension, is the dampening from the shock that the coil spring is around? meaning that the forks are empty and doesnt even have fluid in it?

Also are their any common wear parts in the suspension other than the pivots for the rear swing-arm and rear axle?

I was planning to replace the tire after I replaced the clutch, I have ridden tires a lot worse than this but it is choppy and dry-rotted so I guess I will order one. I wanted to get a Pilot Road 3 that is what I have on the other bike and it has amazing grip in the rain so I like it but that tire doesnt come in a size to fit the LT is that because of max loading? I think I will get the Avon Storm 2 Ultra, it should fit right?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 34 Old Sep 21st, 2013, 5:13 pm

the shock absorber is what holds the spring, it is a gas strut, the stock springs are soft new for a soft ride, it is unlikely the shock is worn out since it is mostly compressed under load.
when you remove the spring manually compress it there should be resistance, firm to compress and when released should smoothly slow completely extend.

the forks are there to hold the wheel, they are filled with automatic transmission oil

Avons are getting more popular, I have one on rear and front will be same once it wears out

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #8 of 34 Old Sep 21st, 2013, 8:32 pm

If the bike has 71,000 miles on it, and the shocks are still original (it was not stated), then they are FAR BEYOND useful. Stock shocks are usually shot well before 50,000 miles. Mine were toast at 35,000. Replacing springs on a stock shock at that mileage will be a complete waste of money, and will not result in improved handling, or ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
the shock absorber is what holds the spring, it is a gas strut, the stock springs are soft new for a soft ride, it is unlikely the shock is worn out since it is mostly compressed under load.
when you remove the spring manually compress it there should be resistance, firm to compress and when released should smoothly slow completely extend.

the forks are there to hold the wheel, they are filled with automatic transmission oil

Avons are getting more popular, I have one on rear and front will be same once it wears out

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #9 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:30 am

I just did my springs at 50K miles and the shock was as good as any brand new gas strut I have installed on any of my cars -'if anything it is much too stiff for a stronger spring - I have a hard time believing they wear out that easy
I also have one off a bike with 110K miles and there is nothing wrong with it

just my experience with them

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #10 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 3:25 am

Quote:
I just did my springs at 50K miles and the shock was as good as any brand new gas strut I have installed on any of my cars -'if anything it is much too stiff for a stronger spring - I have a hard time believing they wear out that easy
I also have one off a bike with 110K miles and there is nothing wrong with it

just my experience with them
That is hard to believe. Even my Ohlins need rebuilding at around 35-40,000 miles.
There are MANY LT owners who will back up the 35,000 mile life of stock LT shocks. There have been MANY posts regarding this over the years. I know mine was wallowing in the twisties at 40,000 miles, putting new shocks on made it ride like a totally different bike.

If one just putters around town, and rides on the freeways, it may not be noticed so much. Ride it hard in the twisties, and it will be very evident when the shocks lose their damping ability. At 40,000 miles mine was getting scary. I put Ohlins on, and holy cow, better than new!

I have also never had gas struts on cars last much over 75,000 miles without starting to "bounce" some over bumps. Even Bilsteins, which I have on both my vehicles.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #11 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 9:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
That is hard to believe. Even my Ohlins need rebuilding at around 35-40,000 miles.
There are MANY LT owners who will back up the 35,000 mile life of stock LT shocks. There have been MANY posts regarding this over the years. I know mine was wallowing in the twisties at 40,000 miles, putting new shocks on made it ride like a totally different bike.

If one just putters around town, and rides on the freeways, it may not be noticed so much. Ride it hard in the twisties, and it will be very evident when the shocks lose their damping ability. At 40,000 miles mine was getting scary. I put Ohlins on, and holy cow, better than new!

I have also never had gas struts on cars last much over 75,000 miles without starting to "bounce" some over bumps. Even Bilsteins, which I have on both my vehicles.
You simply can't use mileage as a yardstick for things like tires, shocks etc. WAY too much depends on riding conditions. Easy to get 2-4X differences in mileage based on environment and riding style.

40K for you may be 20K or 80K for someone else.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Sep 22nd, 2013 at 1:55 pm.
post #12 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 9:30 am

I just rolled over 50K and mine are worn out. Bottoms out on hard bumps. I'm hoping to get a set of Ohlins soon..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #13 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When a shock absorber feels worn to the human touch, it's way past worn out. The forces they operate at when absorbing a bump at 40 mph are hundreds if not thousands of what you can produce with your hands. Most also have progressive valves, which means they produce more resistance the faster you move them.

post #14 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 1:54 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have the Hyperpro springs on my 2000 LT with about 60,000 on the stock shocks & they did two things. They raised the bike to its original height or slightly higher & gave it a stiffer ride. You get what you pay for & it was a $350 improvement. It does not ride anywhere near as good as my Ohlin shocks did.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
When a shock absorber feels worn to the human touch, it's way past worn out. The forces they operate at when absorbing a bump at 40 mph are hundreds if not thousands of what you can produce with your hands. Most also have progressive valves, which means they produce more resistance the faster you move them.
true but any gas strut I have ever had fail has just gone almost over night and I have gone thru a lot of them on my rabbit and jettas, the fronts on those cars are oil - the rears just stopped working and had no resistance or spring return once springs removed

the only thing I am unhappy about with the Hyperpro is that the shock was designed for a weaker spring and are too firm for the stronger springs

the best riding bike I have ever driven was my /2 - from the factory zero damping on compression and light damping on rebound - much nicer on the highway than anything else I have ever driven

to each his own

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #16 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Just replacing the springs won't help you all that much, just make the bike sit a little higher, and bounce harder. It will not help handling, since the shocks need to be replaced. You would be wasting money on springs, when you need shocks anyway, and the new ones will have new springs on them.

There is no damping (not dampening) in the fork tubes, they only have oil in them for lubrication of the sliding surfaces.

The best thing you can do for the ride is get Wilburs or Ohlins shocks for it, scrap the stock ones altogether. The Wilburs and Ohlins are rebuildable in the future for a fraction of the replacement cost.

I've been a spring maker, spring designer my whole life, father owned a spring company, so I started long before being out of school. When I first read about guys changing springs and not the shocks they fit on all I could do is shake my head in disbelief. Anyone else thinking of doing that should just stop, save the money your going to spend on springs and the hours it takes to pull the shocks unless your going to replace them also.

You guys just replacing the springs are getting nothing for your time and money.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
2005 K1200Lt- Dark Graphite
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

post #17 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEBS
I've been a spring maker, spring designer my whole life, father owned a spring company, so I started long before being out of school. When I first read about guys changing springs and not the shocks they fit on all I could do is shake my head in disbelief. Anyone else thinking of doing that should just stop, save the money your going to spend on springs and the hours it takes to pull the shocks unless your going to replace them also.

You guys just replacing the springs are getting nothing for your time and money.

So, on a bike that only has 10-12000 miles on it you say change it all. I don't have that kind of cash. I put the HyperPro springs on to stop the bottoming and it has worked very well for me as it has for very many others on this list. I find it condescending and offensive for you to say that we are wasting our money when this has worked very well. I understand that the best solution is to throw gobs of money at the problem but not all of us can do that. Rant off!

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #18 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 5:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In a nutshell, your springs control how high the bike sets, the shocks control the ride function based upon how much "friction" or "resistance" there is when compressing the spring and shock. Too stiff a spring just makes the bike bounce high as it doesn't compress properly for the bumps. New shocks won't make it ride higher, new springs won't make it ride better but can certainly raise it back up as Robert points out.

post #19 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
So, on a bike that only has 10-12000 miles on it you say change it all. I don't have that kind of cash. I put the HyperPro springs on to stop the bottoming and it has worked very well for me as it has for very many others on this list. I find it condescending and offensive for you to say that we are wasting our money when this has worked very well. I understand that the best solution is to throw gobs of money at the problem but not all of us can do that. Rant off!

Robert
If you get enough difference in the ride to suit you and your riding style, then that is good. However, if you took those same springs and put them on new shocks, the ride and handling would improve considerably more. It would not be as noticeable in everyday commuting and highway riding, but if you are one who spends much time in twisty road riding, you would be shocked (pun intended) at the difference.

The problem with shocks, on motorcycles or cars, is that the decrease in damping is so gradual that few really notice it until it has degraded to a point where you finally realize something is wrong. The handling has degraded considerably long before it becomes readily apparent, then when new shocks are put on, it is a "holy cow, I did not know it was that bad" moment.

With Ohlins and Wilburs, often all is needed is a nitrogen gas recharge to bring them back to normal. That can be done pretty inexpensively. I had my Ohlins rebuilt at about 40,000 miles, made a huge difference.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #20 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 6:05 pm

Quote:
If the bike has 71,000 miles on it, and the shocks are still original (it was not stated), then they are FAR BEYOND useful. Stock shocks are usually shot well before 50,000 miles. Mine were toast at 35,000. Replacing springs on a stock shock at that mileage will be a complete waste of money, and will not result in improved handling, or ride.
My '02 has 48K on her and "to me" it rides pretty good! I've only been riding for about 14 months now and wouldn't know a good from a bad. Is there a way to tell when they are going bad?

2002 BMW K1200 LT.....Bought 6/15/2012
post #21 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 7:36 pm

Quote:

Robert
+1
Hyperpro is a motorcycle spring maker for all brands so he is suggesting they do not know what they are doing, a lot of us are very happy with the results, if you are pushing the bike to the limit/racing then you want the proper setup for that - I am very pleased with the way mine handles, she is rock solid and corners on rails regardless of bumps and dips.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Last edited by gary45; Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:41 pm.
post #22 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 9:28 pm

Quote:
I got a 2002 LT a few weeks ago the previous owner said he was riding it 2-up and the clutch slipped. He rode it home and parked it for a few months before trying to sell it. I think I got it for a good deal because it needs a clutch and I plan to replace it myself.
But before replacing the clutch I thought I would ride it around, and it is ride able the clutch engages at the end its travel(almost fully released) and their is a lot of oil residue under the bike that I tried to clean off so I can recheck it after riding more. The suspension also feels loose, not confidence inspiring, it has 71k miles and the front tire is dry-rotted.

When I replace the clutch what seals and gaskets will I need? Will I need to replace the flywheel and pressure-plate? And do you guys have any other suggestions?
While the others are discussing suspension issues...I thought I'd give you a little more to chew on concerning clutch overhaul. Click on the first photo. From that point you can scroll forward or backwards through the pics.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10984...857?banner=pwa

Friends know the song in your heart, and can sing it to you when you have forgotten the words.
post #23 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 9:31 pm

Quote:

Robert
So your in a rant, sorry I hurt your feelings, there is a difference in changing ride height on a new shock and changing a spring to overcome wallowing on a worn out shock. David Shealy stated very well in his first sentence what new springs will do for you in post #6.

If a shock can't keep up with the damping on what some call a worn out spring what will that shock do with a stronger spring, other then wallow more violently. Shocks are worn out when the damping can't overcome the opposing force from the spring. Your shocks will get there and new springs won't solve the problem.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

post #24 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEBS
So your in a rant, sorry I hurt your feelings, there is a difference in changing ride height on a new shock and changing a spring to overcome wallowing on a worn out shock. David Shealy stated very well in his first sentence what new springs will do for you in post #6.

If a shock can't keep up with the damping on what some call a worn out spring what will that shock do with a stronger spring, other then wallow more violently. Shocks are worn out when the damping can't overcome the opposing force from the spring. Your shocks will get there and new springs won't solve the problem.
the problem with the LT is that the spring is so soft even when new that the suspension is almost completely compresssed with very little load and collapses quite quickly, very little amount of travel in the shock, new springs work very well. A shock absorber should control bounce, you should not be relying on it try and support the bike, it's supposed to control rebound to keep the wheel on the ground. I am not dissing better systems like ohlins, but a lot of people are happy with Hyperpro, if the bike is sitting so low that at 30 it bottoms with a bang when you go over a 1 inch bump it's the spring.

the /2 with the earles forks was the opposite a stronger spring with zero damping on compression and slight damping on rebound, on the highway at 90 it was like floating on a cloud, it's the way I expected the LT to ride but the /2 had no sport bike qualities strictly a highway bike

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #25 of 34 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all your opinions about the suspension upgrades that I should get but I spent $2000 on the purchase of the bike and I don't see any reason to spend more than that on Ohlins or Wilburs. I would like to, but it's not likely at this point.

Some of the questions that I was hoping to have answered were:

What are some wear items in the suspension to check for?

What parts should be replaced along with the clutch ie. input, output seal, flywheel?

Also now I am wondering about the ABS unit but I will start another thread for that.
post #26 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 7:01 am

Quote:
Thanks for all your opinions about the suspension upgrades that I should get but I spent $2000 on the purchase of the bike and I don't see any reason to spend more than that on Ohlins or Wilburs. I would like to, but it's not likely at this point.

What parts should be replaced along with the clutch ie. input, output seal, flywheel?

Also now I am wondering about the ABS unit but I will start another thread for that.

And this is the reality of a LARGE number of us here. Just springs. It will fix 90% of the problems with the shocks, refill the rear one with new fluid. Unless you are track racing your LT or they are visibly leaking and offer very little resistance, you do not need new shocks.

post #27 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 9:21 am

Quote:

probably the most critical thing is the FD pivot bearings, if forks not leaking and it rides OK unless you have it apart pretty hard to tell, you can see if the rubber on the ball joint is intact.
clutch - rear main seal, O ring, if friction surfaces on clutch carrier and pressure plate OK then just clutch disk - if you have never done a clutch before hard to judge but if the disk worn smoothly and evenly then normally just replace disk, clean carrier etc well to avoid contaminating new disk

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #28 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:11 pm

Quote:
+1
Hyperpro is a motorcycle spring maker for all brands so he is suggesting they do not know what they are doing, a lot of us are very happy with the results, if you are pushing the bike to the limit/racing then you want the proper setup for that - I am very pleased with the way mine handles, she is rock solid and corners on rails regardless of bumps and dips.

I didn't suggest anything about Hyperpro, they're a shock manufacturer, I don't know if they make their own springs or are sourced out. Don't matter to me either way, I'm sure they match the damping effect to the strength of the spring and load they will be carrying.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

post #29 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
And this is the reality of a LARGE number of us here. Just springs. It will fix 90% of the problems with the shocks, refill the rear one with new fluid. Unless you are track racing your LT or they are visibly leaking and offer very little resistance, you do not need new shocks.
Do you mean refill the pre-load adjuster or is the shock able to be rebuilt? If so is their a company that does it that I could send it to?

Quote:
probably the most critical thing is the FD pivot bearings, if forks not leaking and it rides OK unless you have it apart pretty hard to tell, you can see if the rubber on the ball joint is intact.
clutch - rear main seal, O ring, if friction surfaces on clutch carrier and pressure plate OK then just clutch disk - if you have never done a clutch before hard to judge but if the disk worn smoothly and evenly then normally just replace disk, clean carrier etc well to avoid contaminating new disk
what o-ring or o-rings do you mean and is it best to just get OEM parts or are their any good aftermarket suppliers?

Thank you and Ride Safe
post #30 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 6:08 pm

Tim is talking preloader - shock not rebuildable

there is an O ring on the output shaft behind the nut that holds the clutch carrier on - most people would want the viton o ring - up to you which you use

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #31 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 6:25 pm

Quote:
I absolutely cannot fathom where this idea comes from. The stock stocks definitely wear out relatively soon, and adding new springs will only get you higher ride height, but will do nothing at all for the lost damping ability of the shock. Once the damping is gone, you get wallowing in the twisty road sections, too sharp rebounds from bumps, etc.. The ride is pretty much crap once the shocks wear out.

Refilling the adjuster fluid only allows you to regain the full adjustment of height, but does nothing at all for damping action of the shock absorber.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #32 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 7:04 pm

it comes from 40 years of riding motorcycles and fixing them, The OEM springs are garbage from every single bike maker.

post #33 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 7:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
it comes from 40 years of riding motorcycles and fixing them, The OEM springs are garbage from every single bike maker.
What is wrong with the OEM springs? Those on my LT have been just fine other than when two-up and heavily loaded.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #34 of 34 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 7:29 pm

Quote:
I was happy with the springs on my other BMW's but the V Star which weighs as much as a K100 had springs half the length and slightly smaller diameter, when I junked the K100 I put the fork springs in the V Star forks with very light fork oil and it made a huge difference - both bikes have 41 mm forks

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in