Knob For Adjusting Rear Shock Doesn't - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2013, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Knob For Adjusting Rear Shock Doesn't

I just recently bought a Y2K K 1200 LT, and the knob under the seat for adjusting the rear shocks does not turn either way after pivoting it up. Should I force it with channel lock pliers? If not, what can I do???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Talking Re: Knob For Adjusting Rear Shock Doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen
I just recently bought a Y2K K 1200 LT, and the knob under the seat for adjusting the rear shocks does not turn either way after pivoting it up. Should I force it with channel lock pliers? If not, what can I do???
YEP. It's been turned against the stop fot to long. It'll come loose. Make sure you're turning it the right way. Right goes down, left comes up.
I never turn the adjuster completely in either direction. Never had a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Re: Knob For Adjusting Rear Shock Doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen

There are indicator lines showing how much preload. If you see no lines on the body then turn the knob counter clockwise. Pad the knob with a rag before Channellocks. Then add oil to the adjuster.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Do not force it. The knob is plastic and the preload adjuster is a steel hex. You will shear the plastic hex on the bottom of the knob if you force it. The correct way is to remove the little screw on top of the knob, and carefully pull it off the adjuster body. There is an indent in the adjuster body with a spring and a small steel ball. It will eject when you slide off the knob, so pull a plastic bag over the entire assembly or take some other precaution not to loose the little ball. The adjuster can then be loosened with a wrench before you replace the knob.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Andres, that is a great tip!

Where is the "like" button?
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 21st, 2013, 9:47 am

Aufgeblassen - Ric - no way, I saw "aufgeblassen" and I knew right off. So you got a 1200lt also? I bought a 2001 in the spring, came here. learned all the failure points, and then went completely through the bike. One warning, it's not a voyager, very high tech compared to the voyager.
As far as the shock preload adjuster, let me just put it this way - setting preload isn't going to be enough. we're both big guys; this bike will drag parts with stock springs easily. I did the hyperpro springs front and rear, and it's a HUGE improvement. Good luck! Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in