2 tips and a trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 9:21 am Thread Starter

2 tips and a trip

I got the bike Monday. Rode it around town all day, had a blast. Celebrated with a sandwich from Johnnie's Beef in Elmwood Park (Chicago-area icon).

Then, the inevitable. I got on the bike, put my drink in the cup holder, and the bike tipped. I tried to stop it at first, but remembered the advice from the group and let her go. Embarrassed, I quickly lifted it (thanks YouTube) and rode home.

Yesterday morning, I rode to Starbucks, and it happened again. I slowly turned left toward a space, then right toward a better one, and it tipped to the right. I lifted it, but forget to put the kick stand down, and it almost fell to the left. A real struggle, viewed by dozens of amused coffee drinkers. My worst nightmare - twice in 12 hours.

Now the good news - I rode a couple hundred miles around northwest Illinois (Starved Rock, Great River Road) and it was MUCH more enjoyable at high speed.

Some things I learned:

1. Practice, practice, practice slow speed driving. I'm now apprehensive when coming to full stops, and that's NOT good.
2. The stock seat hurts when riding for more than an hour. A new saddle is a must for long rides.
3. The stock windshield isn't ideal for tall people. I'm 6'4", and the wind was really smacking my helmet. Cee Bailey, here I come.
4. My right hand was fatigued after an hour. Cruise control saved me. I'm looking into a throttle buddy or something similar.
5. You can really lean the bike aggressively in twistys.

So, my K1200LT riding experience started badly but quickly rebounded. It was helped by a lot of great advice from this group and look forward to more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 9:43 am

Re: 2 tips and a trip

Always be looking as far ahead as possible when stopping & keep the bars squared up as much as possible. This will keep the bike vertical and make drops less frequent of an occurrence. Not sure what model year you have but on my 02 it seems to work best to gently apply the front brake & then apply the rear. Rear only is very grabby on mine and sure has added some pucker factor at slow speeds.

Now force yourself to get out and ride some more since practice gets you closer to perfect.

A word of caution. Winnebago and Stephenson county have been busy putting down the seal coat ( Oil and loose gravel) on some of the county roads. This is a deadly mix when leaned over in a corner.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 11:46 am

Here's the good news. You have gotten your required drops out of the way in 24 hours. It takes some folks, although not many, much longer to get it out of the way. Then, after 100,000 miles, BAM! down it goes and they spend the next 10 years in therapy. Best to just get it over with.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 12:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A couple of observations: as you know now, braking at slow speed with the handlebars turned is an invitation to a drop. And, regarding the stiff throttle, there have been a couple of revisions to the throttle cables since 2002 that eliminate the binding and stiffness.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Another potential drop in waiting is when you use the side stand while on a downward grade. If you aren't aware of it yet...these beasts will roll off of the side stand in a heartbeat. To enhance your chances of this not happening to you, shut the bike off in gear, let the bike roll forward to take out the lag in the drive train, and then deploy the sidestand.

FS

Friends know the song in your heart, and can sing it to you when you have forgotten the words.
post #6 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 12:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yes, it's nice to get those drops over with so you can now really enjoy the big girl.

Regarding your grip fatigue, it may be related to the small size of grips on these bikes (those Germans must be tall guys with little hands). I had the same problem with fatigue, but followed the advice of many on this forum and installed some Grip Puppies.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...s/GRIPPUP.html

In addition to enlarging the grip, they also make it more 'grippy' and easier to hold in an open position. The difference is pretty substantial.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Now the good news - I rode a couple hundred miles around northwest Illinois (Starved Rock, Great River Road) and it was MUCH more enjoyable at high speed.
The big girl does do a lot better at speed......Dropped mine about a year ago, still some what leery of her when coming to a stop but it gets easier every ride.

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #8 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Re: 2 tips and a trip - update

Amazing how the girl can mess with your brain. I was hesitant to take her out today for fear of setting a new drop record. But I mustered the courage, and took her out for a day of slow drives, focusing on NOT using the handbrake, playing with the friction zone and lots of trail braking. My confidence returned, and I capped the day by going back to both crime scenes... and drove home with an Italian beef and a venti Starbucks.
post #9 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Grip Puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Regarding your grip fatigue, it may be related to the small size of grips on these bikes (those Germans must be tall guys with little hands). I had the same problem with fatigue, but followed the advice of many on this forum and installed some Grip Puppies.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...s/GRIPPUP.html

In addition to enlarging the grip, they also make it more 'grippy' and easier to hold in an open position. The difference is pretty substantial.
Which grips did you select? How difficult is it to remove the OEM grips and install these?

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #10 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Utube search motorman paladino.

You'll learn a lot in a 10 minute vid about very slow speed maneuvers.

You will also find that the rear brake is your best friend in a slow speed maneuvering turn below 5mph. Clutch friction zone, light rear brake, weight on the outside peg, and the big girl will almost fold in half in a turn. It's orgasmic the first time you try it in an empty parking lot.
post #11 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatStrat
Another potential drop in waiting is when you use the side stand while on a downward grade. If you aren't aware of it yet...these beasts will roll off of the side stand in a heartbeat. To enhance your chances of this not happening to you, shut the bike off in gear, let the bike roll forward to take out the lag in the drive train, and then deploy the sidestand.
Do it all the time, in fact. Think of it as "Park." Make it 1st.

No real need to ever have bike on sidestand in neutral unless temporarily keeping motor running.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #12 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

I'm confused about when it's appropriate to use the center stand instead of the side. My bike is an '05 and I still get a kick out of the electric center.
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 9:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Grip Puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG
Which grips did you select? How difficult is it to remove the OEM grips and install these?
You don't remove the original grips...the Grip Puppies fit over the top of them. You'll want to order the size small. Most guys install them with liberal use of dish soap, which is what I did and had no problems sliding them in place. I've also heard of using hair spray or compressed air. I've not noticed any reduction in effectiveness of the grip heaters with the Puppies installed.

Some guys also swear by Beemer Buddies. You can check them out here:

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #14 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewards
I'm confused about when it's appropriate to use the center stand instead of the side. My bike is an '05 and I still get a kick out of the electric center.
I use the side stand when:
  • I have to park facing downhill.
  • When parking uphill and the angle is so steep I know I won't be able to push it off the center stand. (it has to be really steep to be an issue)
  • Refueling (you can get the tank more full than when it's on the center stand).
  • I don't want to take the few seconds to deploy the center stand. Quick in-and-out at a store, for example.
  • Extra stability is needed - for example, when the LT is being transported on a ferry.
  • Parking in grass or gravel; I use a side stand plate.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 7:08 am

Quote:
Never except for bike maintenance. Living where it is mostly flat, Flatlorda, I just don't find it necessary. Living in WV though, I don't think I ever normally used it there either. Just for bike maintenance.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 10:11 am

Dan, now i see why you moved to Florida from WVA. in WVA, you swam around in circles with one flipper shorter than the other. hopefully the shorter one has grown out by now.

were any of you website photos taken while you lived and dove in WVA?

BTW I always have to think thrice before i put down the side stand. sure wish i had the 05 center stand!

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 10:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the LT and the forum. I've been to Johnnies many times. Truly an icon. Has to have been there ~50yrs now. Went there as a kid living in Melrose Park. Probably on the way home from the Mercury theater.
For your hand issue, the Grip Puppies, as mentioned, are a must. Also, a Cramp Buster is a nice, cheap, addition.
I did some of the Great River Road this last week, Dubuque to La Crosse. Very nice trip through the Driftless area of WI and IA. Look to get out to the Galena area sometime. Rt-64 & Rt-20 are pretty nice to get there, but there are some great back roads out of Dixon, IL.
Let me know if you'd like more info or want to ride sometime.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Two suggestions that may help you out during your initial learning period:
Once you've set your mind to a maneuver, stick to it. For example, if you plan to turn right in the parking lot, turn right. Don't change your mind and turn left. You're likely not "set up" for that change. If you plan to stop, stop. Don't change your mind and roll out instead. At least while learning.
When stopping the bike to park it, leave it in first gear, motor running, and throw down the side stand. Kills the motor. Let out the clutch to engage the resistance of the motor, wait a couple of seconds for the oil to settle (smoky start up if you don't), then set her over - on the side stand, not the pavement!
Once you've learned how she handles at lower speeds, you'll find yourself just zipping around parking lots.
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Quote:
ALWAYS!!!! Contrary to what DD says I use mine all the time. I love the EHCS and I REALLY love watching the HD guys get pissed because my old 05has something cool they will never have. Even the Wing riders get jealous. It is ALSO handy for wrenching time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in