Sounds Like a Misfire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Sounds Like a Misfire

I have an 09 LT with 9k. Saturday filled up with gas and rode highway speeds for 2 hours then I got stuck in traffic for an hour, bailed out and stopped for lunch. Back in traffic for another 40 minutes, fans kicked on but no problems. Bike sat over night and the next morning started and ran fine. We went just up the road for some breakfast and bike ran fine. Left the restaurant and got a hesitation like running on 3 cylinders when starting out but didn't run bad at speed but not right. No overheating or any other signs. Stopped for a 20 minute break and bike started out fine for about 2 minutes and then same thing. Rode home an hour and a half and still better at high speed. Looked at the plugs (stock Bosch) and one looked bad with some bridging to the contact so I figured fouled plug. Installed some cheaper NGK's, (all I could put my hands on) but running no better. Still had a half tank when problem started, I don't think it's fuel related, feels electrical to me, maybe a censer, doesn't seem to matter if it's warmed up or not, have to really give it gas to get going and the sound is different, like a misfire. Any help would be appreciated.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 6:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Sounds Like a Misfire

Try running it with the gas cap loose to see if that solves it. If so, your cannister vent hose is clogged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Try running it with the gas cap loose to see if that solves it. If so, your cannister vent hose is clogged.
Canister is removed and I think it would run worse at higher RPMs than it does. Thanks

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 7:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Put a can of Seafoam in it and see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 9:11 pm

check spark plug wire resistance should be around 5 ohms

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 11:44 am

Talking Re: Sounds Like a Misfire

I'd check for a fuel line leak in the tank. If you can see fuel in the tank with a flash light, turn on the key to activate the fuel pump. You should see NO fuel movement in the tank.

That's pretty common on the LT's.

Just my .02's worth.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
I'd check for a fuel line leak in the tank. If you can see fuel in the tank with a flash light, turn on the key to activate the fuel pump. You should see NO fuel movement in the tank.

That's pretty common on the LT's.

Just my .02's worth.

Vern
Fuel line checks out OK, added some chemtool b-12 and letting it run. going out of town for a week so it might have to wait. It idles fine and revs fine, it is only when riding that there is a problem.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Any unusual smoking from the exhaust? which cylinder was fouled? Is the bike kept indoors? any possibility of critters under the covers gnawing at stuff? was the fouled plug black and oily? maybe check the air filter?

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 25th, 2013, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

I found two wires that had damage, one had the insulation chewed but not broken. The one causing all my grief was one side of the throttle body wires on the 2nd cylinder. It was almost broken in half but was just hanging on which I guess is why it would run OK on and off. Soldered and heat shrinked and bike runs fine. Thanks for all the help

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 25th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
Any unusual smoking from the exhaust? which cylinder was fouled? Is the bike kept indoors? any possibility of critters under the covers gnawing at stuff? was the fouled plug black and oily? maybe check the air filter?
critter was a great call!

So happens i heard a squirrel or chipmunk run out of my garage when i let the dog out today. he chased the critter away. my 22 is now in the garage. I need to check out the bike. she's been sitting for 2 days now with all this rain we're having.

thanks for the idea! And Glad Triumphguy13 found it!

God i love this place

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 25th, 2013, 5:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

That certainly makes sense. Sounds like you're describing the injector wiring or perhaps a sensor wire. Glad you found it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in