BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Speedometer MPH - KPH

7K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Brianmered 
#1 ·
Learned Gentlemen, is there such a thing as a dual read speedometer dial available. Mine is currently in KPH but I am planning to send it home to the UK where it will be required to read in MPH.
I plan to then tour of Europe, again in KPH.....is there any easy fix?

#4 ·
I thought about that after I posted my last response, but it probably wouldn't meet requirements for importing your bike back to the UK. However, you would only need to convert to the MPH speedo and not need to find a dual version (if one exists) for when you go on trips to the continent and the MGH version should be in ready supply. Good luck! :wave

#9 ·
Brianmered said:
Learned Gentlemen, is there such a thing as a dual read speedometer dial available. Mine is currently in KPH but I am planning to send it home to the UK where it will be required to read in MPH.
My US-spec 2007 LT has both units on the speedo. Outer dial is in MPH and inner is in KPH. Both are off by 5% or so, so I use my Garmin when my speed really matters. :)

#11 ·
Brianmered said:
I have not seen a single read dash - guess they exist but all i have seen had both.

Attachments

#12 ·
You're lucky. Mine's off 10 mph at an indicated 40. And then gets worse from there. Any way to re-calibrate it?

#20 ·
Wow up til 2005 the speedos were off by 10% not more than 20% like yours. 2005+ they were off by a 'notch' on the peg which was a constant amount around 5 mph. There are different fixes for the two kinds. Your's being off by so much though I don't think so.

#13 ·
Thanks John, your second photo explains everything, I was under the misapprehension that the dial was 'standalone' and could be changed independently but it appears to be one console containing speedo and rev counter, however I will quote the part number shown on your picture to my local dealer as the fix would be perfect if I can get one.

Now I know why I love this forum...

#14 ·
You may need more than a speedometer modification to register the bike in the UK. As far as I know Dubai drives on the right side of the road wheras in England it is on the left side of the road. Depending on the original destination of the bike you may need to change the headlight too if you wanted to register it in the UK.

#15 ·
Brianmered said:
Thanks John, your second photo explains everything, I was under the misapprehension that the dial was 'standalone' and could be changed independently but it appears to be one console containing speedo and rev counter, however I will quote the part number shown on your picture to my local dealer as the fix would be perfect if I can get one.

Now I know why I love this forum...
It looks like they are separate items but don't expect them to be obtained by the dealer. They are not listed in the parts list. So yours does not have the inner ring?

#19 ·
I am surprised that there were no response from our UK members.

I do not have a UK spec LT, but my other two BMW bikes were purchased in the UK.(K100RT & R1200RT) They both have a dual speedo. So I cannot see why an LT would be any different.

In terms of importing, you would need to make sure the headlight is correctly adjusted. I am not 100% sure that you need to have the speedo adjusted, as I have seen a European spec bike (KPH on the speedo) with a UK plate.

Hope this is of some help.
Best regards
Adam

#21 ·
Thanks everyone, luv this forum.

Received an email from a member with a second hand unit for sale so it's looking promising.

Adam, my bike originates from Dubai where all speedometers are in KPH only. I visited the local showroom and even the 2014 models just in, are all in KPH. Typically, BMW want a kings ransom for a replacement unit with a dual readout.

regards...

#23 ·
The European models are also in Kmph only - it was one of the reasons why I wanted a UK spec 1200RT, the 3000€ difference also helped!

However I am not convinced that this issue is a hindrance to you getting a UK plate, as I said I have seen a European spec bike with a UK plate. Also a friend imported his car from Europe without a problem.

If you want MPH on your speedo that is another issue!

Going via the dealer, then bring the mortgage papers!

Best regards

#24 ·
I am also unsure what I need for registering an imported bike however I was trying to be a bit proactive and cover all the bases. I heard it through a 3rd party that MPH was required but once I have completed I shall post the requirements in case it can help someone else....regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.