K1200 Fuel Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 6:33 am Thread Starter

Angry K1200 Fuel Leak

My 2003 LT with 32000 mile developed a fuel leak while on the freeway. I took it to the dealer and found out it was the quick disconnect on the outlet side of the fuel tank. I was told they started using these in 2000. They told me I might want to carry one as a spare as this was the 8th one this summer they have fixed. There is no recall at this time, how many of us are out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 9:53 am

Took my 2002 LT to Bob's BMW here in Maryland and they replaced the fuel line disconnect under a recall during my 6K service. Call Daryl at Bob's and he will give you the particulars that you can give to your dealer.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #3 of 40 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 3:08 pm

Chrome plated brass disconnects can be found here.

"The crux of the biscuit
is the Apostrophe(')"
-FZ

post #4 of 40 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 3:17 pm

thread.

"The crux of the biscuit
is the Apostrophe(')"
-FZ
post #5 of 40 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:19 am

Found a small puddle of fuel on the floor below my bike, purchased May 05.
Took it to the dealer and the culprit is part nº 13.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=16&fg=05
It had developed a small blister.
Another one for the books.
post #6 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:59 pm

Re: K1200 Fuel Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_laskie
My 2003 LT with 32000 mile developed a fuel leak while on the freeway. I took it to the dealer and found out it was the quick disconnect on the outlet side of the fuel tank. I was told they started using these in 2000. They told me I might want to carry one as a spare as this was the 8th one this summer they have fixed. There is no recall at this time, how many of us are out there?
My Bike developed a leak this weekend, it's a 2005 K1200LT. Uncovered and found the quick disconnect also. I will not leak while engine is off, but while running....WOW, lost 1/2 a tank of fuel.
post #7 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 10:25 am

Do away with the quick disconnects. They will always be a problem. Put in brass splices and hose clamps. If the tank has to be pulled later it can drained by having another short peice of hose ready and a gas can and pan under the area. Just pull the hose off of the outer fitting on the bottom of the gas tank which is the return line. That will drain almost all the tank with minor spillage. When you remove the inner hose which is the preasurized side take it off slowly and catch the spillage in a pan. Wear safety glasses and old clothes when doing this.

Robert & Maureen
DeKalb, Illinois
05 K1200LT Hannigan Trike (Yellow)(M)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 K1200LT Hannigan Trike (Blue)(R)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Or replace the crappy plastic ones with the ones sold here by beemerboneyard.com.
I have to remove the tank when performing maintenance or installing wiring for new farkles and I really like having the quick disconnects.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTrike
Do away with the quick disconnects. They will always be a problem. Put in brass splices and hose clamps...
Is there any risk that the splices would decrease the volume of flow causing any problems? Have my LT apart doing a load of things to it and want it back together now for the perfect weather but one of the male QD's is broken, dont want to wait for the replacement to get ordered and arrive - I want to ride!!!
post #10 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Is there any risk that the splices would decrease the volume of flow causing any problems? Have my LT apart doing a load of things to it and want it back together now for the perfect weather but one of the male QD's is broken, dont want to wait for the replacement to get ordered and arrive - I want to ride!!!
As long as you don't use something really really small it should not matter, the system is pressurized. Take a close look at the internal size of the QD's that broke, that should tell you how small you can go and still be Ok.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #11 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:29 am

I happen to love the cheap quick connects. That is exactly how i got my loaded 05 with 12,000 miles for only $7,000!! I replaced mine with good metal QD's with the viton oring and have not had a problem since.
post #12 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 11:09 am

Quote:
The simple brass pipe has no valves or anything to block the flow of fuel. If you get the correct size to fit the hoses, there will be no issues. That's what I did for my 2000 LT and did it all for about $5.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #13 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Quote:
No problem with flow, but keep in mind that you don't want to cross the two. If you look, one disconnect goes "left to right", the other "right to left". Helps keep things straight. If you bypass the disconnects, you'll need to mark the lines for the correct re-installation.
post #14 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 12:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Is there any risk that the splices would decrease the volume of flow causing any problems?
No risk as it was that way on earlier models before quick disconnects became the standard.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Thanks for the sound advice as usual guys - going with the quick fix for now and will order the fancy QDs from beemerboneyard for the next time I am in there working on stuff. I think I am going to leave the QD on the one line that is still working fine and just put a new o-ring on, that way there is no chance of crossing the lines, which would be mucho bad
post #16 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the sound advice as usual guys - going with the quick fix for now and will order the fancy QDs from beemerboneyard for the next time I am in there working on stuff. I think I am going to leave the QD on the one line that is still working fine and just put a new o-ring on, that way there is no chance of crossing the lines, which would be mucho bad
Just one caveat... if one QD failed, how much longer before the other fails also?
I would suggest replacing both and color code your lines (using colored zip ties for instance). An ounce of prevention is better than an ounce of fuel on your pants... .

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #17 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 4:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The male half is what fails. The hollow shaft under the O-ring is machined too thin and gives out. You can replace just the male half with metal or you can go all metal on both. Either way will work.

post #18 of 40 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Just had these delivered today: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...ne_Disconnects

I had a set on my 2005 also.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #19 of 40 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 9:49 am

You don't have to go to the dark side for info...it's all here....

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=quick
post #20 of 40 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Do away with the quick disconnects. They will always be a problem. Put in brass splices and hose clamps. If the tank has to be pulled later it can drained by having another short peice of hose ready and a gas can and pan under the area. Just pull the hose off of the outer fitting on the bottom of the gas tank which is the return line. That will drain almost all the tank with minor spillage. When you remove the inner hose which is the preasurized side take it off slowly and catch the spillage in a pan. Wear safety glasses and old clothes when doing this.
Sice someone revived a 7 year old thread... Do what Zippy said and use the brass quick disconnects. You have to take off the tank from time to time, and these make it easier on both you AND your fuel lines!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #21 of 40 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
You don't have to go to the dark side for info...it's all here....

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=quick
Warden, you look great riding your LT in a tutu!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #22 of 40 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 3:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Re: K1200 Fuel Leak

Quote:

Cheap to elimanate the pressure side quick disconnect. I'm not spending that kind of money for a silly convience of a quick coupler. I can siphon all but a dribble of gas out of the tank should I need to remove it.....which is seldom.
Just my 2 cents worth

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #23 of 40 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 10:21 am

Make sure you check all the other connections while you're in there. Mine leaked fuel only when it was cooler weather. I got the brass quick connects from Beemer Boneyard installed and there was still a leak. Turned out to be one of the other fuel line connections. Tightened it up and no problems since.
post #24 of 40 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Just had these delivered today: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...ne_Disconnects

I had a set on my 2005 also.

+1 on the Jiffy-tites from RPW. Fair price and great quality product.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #25 of 40 Old May 5th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Ghost Rider Leak- 2003 K1200LT very low miles

Went to the grocery store and on my return I smelled fuel. I thought it was the car in front of me so I passed. Still smelled fuel and started noticing liquid blowing up on the right side of my bike. Looked down and my right boot was soaked and it was splashing up my pant leg. Needless to say I beelined for the shoulder, turned off the bike and quickly got away from it. Thanks goodness for no sparks or I would have turned into a ball of flame.

Anybody had a similar experience?
post #26 of 40 Old May 5th, 2012, 3:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrbmw

Went to the grocery store and on my return I smelled fuel. I thought it was the car in front of me so I passed. Still smelled fuel and started noticing liquid blowing up on the right side of my bike. Looked down and my right boot was soaked and it was splashing up my pant leg. Needless to say I beelined for the shoulder, turned off the bike and quickly got away from it. Thanks goodness for no sparks or I would have turned into a ball of flame.

No, as I read about the issue with the OEM QDs and bought a set from RPW and changed them the first time I had the opportunity. No problems at all in 4 years.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 40 Old May 5th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Very common issue that has been covered many many times here over the years but it ought to be required reading when you register on this site.

The factory used plastic quick disconnects (QD) on the fuel lines and the male end is what cracks. It is hard to pull them apart without a little lateral stess, that fractures the male end over time. BMW now only sells a metal male end. The female side is still good. Some have replaced both with brass QDs altogether.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #28 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 9:16 am

@ jzieler

sorry to have troubled you with the question. I wasn't aware that there was required reading to ask questions on this forum or that I was to have known every question ever previously asked on this website.

I guess with your experience traveling to every state in the nation I should automatically assume you are absolutely correct knowing without doubt that my problem was a defective QD.

I again apologize for asking a question that someone asked before me. If I ask another previously asked question in this forum, I fully hope that you will please ignore my question as I definitely do not want to waste any of your time. BTW, thanks for making an infrequent user to this forum feel so welcome, it almost makes me want to go out and purchase a Goldwing.
post #29 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 9:33 am

Quote:
@ jzieler

sorry to have troubled you with the question. I wasn't aware that there was required reading to ask questions on this forum or that I was to have known every question ever previously asked on this website.

I guess with your experience traveling to every state in the nation I should automatically assume you are absolutely correct knowing without doubt that my problem was a defective QD.

I again apologize for asking a question that someone asked before me. If I ask another previously asked question in this forum, I fully hope that you will please ignore my question as I definitely do not want to waste any of your time. BTW, thanks for making an infrequent user to this forum feel so welcome, it almost makes me want to go out and purchase a Goldwing.

Man hang around and ask old questions all you want..I do..lol.
I see old threads sometimes for answers to my probs but yet when I do ask anyhow sometimes there are new ways to deal with things and I get updated info.
But you're right..if some get bored or upset with old questions maybe they should not click on the thread. Cheers!
post #30 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 11:45 am

Quote:

I did - I did. I went to the grocery store!!

C'mon, Stephen - lighten up. John's post wuzn't sarcastic - your reply is. There is 13 years of experience socked away in this forum - some topics get hashed over and over and over. A neat feature on the forums, that is available for anyone to use, is the 'search' function. Not foolproof, butt definitely there for several reasons. Provides a member with a quick way to gather info about a situation without having to wait for a response from another member; and decreases the obvious bandwidth incurred by repetitive threads. You may remember when you first signed on to the forums, and read the guidelines for participation, you read this:
Search the Archives: Use the forum search feature or one of the major internet search engines BEFORE you ask your next question. Being asked the same old question over and over is very irritating. By not taking the time to search the archives or make a search of other internet resources BEFORE asking the group is like saying, "my time is more valuable than yours, so I'm just going to ask here instead of looking for it myself".

Given the right attitude in using the forums' wealth of knowledge, every one has the opportunity to make a favorable contribution herein, and you gotta know it is welcomed on each individual forum category. Best always, Stephen - hope to meet you somewhere in the Hill Country or at one of the tech sessions that take place in the 'hood or during a visit to Lone Star.
post #31 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 1:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
@ jzieler

No need to apologize I was trying to inform with out chastizing - I guess I failed. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need, I will be happy to answer them. You will not be the last one here to be surpized by a fuel leak from the QDs. There will be many more to follow you I am sure of it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #32 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Quote:
@ jzieler

Giving proper respect to your original question Steven, no I have not had a fuel leak in more than 50K LT miles. But, apparently you are not the first, and as John advised you, the most common cause of fuel leaks reported on this forum has been the OEM quick disconnects.

I have never met jzeiler but every time I see he has posted a response anything on any subject, I read it, having seen him prove over and over again that what he has to say is valuable, knowledgeable and offered in a spirit of helpfulness. I like that.

I will be sure to look for your further posts as well Steven because I love good sarcasm and you have shown that you are very good at it. Please stay with us on this forum Steven. And if you really want a friendly and helpful discussion, you might try espousing the virtues of your favorite motor oil. But then I already told you that I loved sarcasm.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #33 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Garage

I have nothing to add to this thread.
And yet here I am reading it and rolling around in laughter. Sarcasm or humor I like it either way. I joined this forum to find out where my oil filter was And think of all the time I wasted before turning the bike upside down trying to find it. I was sure of only one thing when I bought it, it had a filter. I have had a Kawasaki 1000 and GW1200 and changed oil on both and I 'm still not going back. I just keep reading and riding.
ride safe
post #34 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Those same crappy QDs fail on the RTs as well. Just replaced a set last night. It's interesting to me that BMW spec'd these out and then sells the "fix" for 30 bucks apiece. The best part is that the same company makes the all metal fittings which are interchangeable with the plastic ones.

post #35 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Another important difference when considering the options for replacement is the O-Rings.

The BMW factory disconnects and replacements recommend replacing the o-rings every time they are taken apart. The Jiffy-tite's have Viton o-rings which don't have this requirement. Seems like every time I'm into the bike for something I'm removing the fuel tank. For me, these were worth the extra $$ just to not worry about fussing with the o-ring replacement and not having to drain the tank every time.

Another 2 cents.

Thanks,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #36 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 7:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
@ jzieler

Way to go, junior. You join a new forum, apparently spend no time learning anything about, ask a question to which John gives you a very good answer (and which was not sarcastic at all), and you respond with a juvenile post dripping in sarcasm. Had you spent any time here just reading the posts or, better yet, done any searching at all, you would have quickly learned that John is one of the most prolific and helpful members of this forum. And, in what your second post, you poke a stick in his eye!

If you are half a man you will respond with an apology. If you aren't and don't, then I suspect you are Gold Wing material and should give that forum a try.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #37 of 40 Old May 6th, 2012, 11:06 pm

@ voyager

My question was if anyone had a similar "experience" not problem. Not what was wrong with the bike. It is pretty obvious it was a fuel leak. It was quite unnerving to be coated with gas.

The second "many" in jzeiler's post made it obvious that he was quick to get irritated at a question that he thought he had answered before and suggesting that there should be required reading to join the site.

I should be more careful how I ask questions on this forum.

I do thank zelier for a suggestion on where to look for the leak.

It was also messed up that he assumed that I had not read this thread before posting which had multiple references to QDs. No searching archives required..

If QDs are such a common problem one would think that there should be a recall. I am guessing that most of you would agree that being soaked in gas is a potential safety problem.

And you are suggesting that I apologize....for what?
post #38 of 40 Old May 7th, 2012, 12:13 am

Tsk,..Tsk, seems like some need to grow their hide a little thicker John, which can only help with these damned uncomfortable stock seats. . In Oz, those people would take their bat 'n ball and go home.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #39 of 40 Old May 7th, 2012, 12:38 am
cws

Garage

Semantics can be very interesting.... I didn't read John's post as addressing a person, but as addressing a problem and a solution (awareness)... :
"but it ought to be required reading when you register on this site" with "it" being the issue of breaking Quick disconnects, and "you" being a general reference to anybody.
I note that John didn't actually "quote" the previous poster who got a little irate...

And I agree, there are many such issues that new members would possibly be very grateful for (or very afraid of) if they were directed to a list of "potential issues with the LT" or whichever bike when they first join....

might save a damn lot of searching... but then I guess a lot of that is in the Hall of Wisdom... if you search for it...

oh, and to keep it on topic, yes, I changed to metal disconnects before it became an issue.
cheers big ears (not PC)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #40 of 40 Old Jun 11th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Thanks for all of the interesting tips on my current fuel leak. I will look into changing the parts at the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in