Great Forum - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 15th, 2013, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Great Forum

This is a great forum. I have been able to correct every problem and perform much of the maintenance on my 2000 Lt with the great wealth of information offered here. I look at many of the posters highlighted maps of the states they have covered and say man I can't wait to do that. Got a lot of time, effort, money, and brain power invested in this machine. Two years now and I haven't made it past the Flint Hills or into another state.

Yesterday I went for my first ride on the Light Truck since getting the seats totally redone by Russel. They had me send pictures, weight, and measurements in order to expertly construct a seat that would make this monster rideable. About 1200 bucks worth. It does look good. Went about two hundred miles. Tried the up position, the down position, the back rest up down, back and forth, and off. Stopped and took off the lowered floor boards and put the pegs back on, tried the air hawk seat pad with it back and forth, folded this way and that way, inflated, deflated, slightly inflated. Wore soft sweat pants with no seams and chaps. Put wallet in glove box. Mick-O-Pegs aren't worth 50 cents, jokes on me.

By the time I was half way, all I wanted to do is get home, Didn't want to stop anywhere because all I could think about was the pain I was in and how soon I wanted to get off of this abatross of an overly complicated piece of anal german engineering.

Today I am going to ride my little Sissy Suzuki Burgman 650 with an Air Hawk seat pad and a homemade back rest while I think about trading this behemouth for a late 90's Goldwing or maybe just a new Burgman.

Oh yah, I've figured it out. It looks like a broad shouldered good looking big tittied German woman with no ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 15th, 2013, 8:44 am

Re: Great Forum

I can send you a set of brand new in the box factory seats in exchange for your Russells.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 15th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't think you have given your new Russell seat enough time to break in. I just installed mine Friday, and the instructions state :

"Your "Day-Long" Touring Saddle will require a short break-in period, usually 500 to 1000 miles. During this period you may experience some noticeable pressure points, particularly at the perimeter of the saddle rim and at the back of your upper thigh. These pressure points will disappear as the spring, spring restraints and foam take a slight set (approximately 5%). Please remember that your saddle supports you in places where you had no contact with your stock seat. This may be mistaben for excessive pressure until you become accustomed to the feel of the "day-Long" Saddle".

Since you only rode your bike 200 miles before writing your complaint, I suggest you put several on hundred more miles of break-in and reevaluate your thoughts on the seat.

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 15th, 2013, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Don't really think it is the seat. It is the riding position. Makes my drawers ride to the wrong place. I might make it another 3 to 5 hundred before I trade it. Dunno, pretty fed up

Ok, I am just a grumpy old bastard. My back was hurting me yesterday. Got on it tonight and rode it 100.4 miles around Kansas City and I can still feel my scrotum It was cool out and I made it back in the garage just as the first drips of rain were starting to fall.
Maybe it's going to be ok.

Also, while waiting on the seat, I put an EBC rotor on the back, new pads all over, and Speigler lines. Sucker stops like a cop for free donuts

Last edited by joeybolz; Sep 16th, 2013 at 12:37 am. Reason: update
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 5:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

You might want to go to the following website that allows you to compare seating/riding positions for most bikes on the market (someone suggested it on another thread for RTs:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in