What is the worst that can happen? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 11:27 am Thread Starter

What is the worst that can happen?

Not ready to throw the dealer under the bus yet. But I do have a issue with recent service. I called the dealer for a service pick up because I discovered a cut in the center of my rear tire on my LT and could see the cord. The service rep. asked me what kind of tires I was looking at and I responded the replacement Metzeler. Shot me the quote and I approved and the pick up was set. Well two days later the bike was dropped off and I pushed it into the garage but I noticed right away there looked too be a issue. The tread to me looked to be off. So I discovered they installed a Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tires on my LT the front was matching numbers to the Marathon but the rear they stuck on a 180/55ZR17 73W when it should be a 160/70VB-17. Not only that but the rotation for the rear is in the wrong direction! If I have not caught this how bad could this have been for me and my LT? Dealer is picking it up Monday morning and they assured me this would be straightened out so I guess we will see what that means in the end. All it means to me right now is my weekend is shot in a short Wisconsin riding season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 11:57 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: What is the worst that can happen?

At least the dealer stepped up to make it right. I've heard horror stories about dealers that could not give a crap & would just say NO.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 12:13 pm
Super Moderator

There are few things that can outright KILL you on the bike and the wrong tires are one of
them. Apparently this dealer has no QA program - I would not tolerate this nor forgive the
dealer. I am being too tough "hell yes" - he sits behind a desk while your butt is on the
road surface.

Tire being backwards - I am sure there is also a good explaination for that one!! I would
have zero tolerance for such an act. I work in a business where work is double and triple
checked since human services happen to be laden with errors and omissions !!

Rant off . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #4 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Im sure they'll straighten it out..... but on the other hand you can get an outrageous response like my buddy had.. "Sir its your fault for not looking before leaving the shop" lol

Thats not what happened to him i was just trying to make your situation sound as outrageous.

K1200LT
post #5 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Can you just take the wheel to the dealer and them fix the issue right now, and not wait until Monday? (Dealer open on Monday???)

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

I am not a mechanic and I do not pretend to be one. But as far as I can tell the tires Roadtec Z8 are meant to be on a sport bike or a sport touring machine not the LT. Just by me looking at the different tire numbers 180/55ZR17 73W Roadtec vs. 160/70VB-17 Marathon (comes on the bike) without me having a true understanding what these numbers mean but I think the speed is wrong and also the load. Not to mention the wrong rotation. I just feel like if I did not catch this I was going to be in serious danger. Can somebody break down these numbers so I can understand the difference between what they stuck on to what the LT came with?
post #7 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 4:16 pm

From what I read, the dealer picked up your bike, installed the incorrect tire in the wrong rotation and then delivered the bike back to you. This to me is inexcusable, especially when the complete bike was in his shop. You do not need to be a "mechanic" when you have the dealer do the job. This lack of care in workmanship is appalling. I realize that anyone can make a mistake (Lord knows how many I've made) but this kind of mistake by a so-called professional could be deadly. I would expect some serious sucking up and/or serious discounts for this type of error.

my 2 cents, Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #8 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 4:24 pm

I am surprised that a 180 tire does not rub the swing arm as it is too wide.
Load rating too low = might get hot an suddenly deflate at speed with load.
Might be wrong OD = confused antilock brake controller = unexpected brake performance .
One should only use factory listed tire sizes on Antilock equipped vehicles.
I think the rotation arrow has to do wit the wet road performance.

Bob G
post #9 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
From what I read, the dealer picked up your bike, installed the incorrect tire in the wrong rotation and then delivered the bike back to you. This to me is inexcusable, especially when the complete bike was in his shop. You do not need to be a "mechanic" when you have the dealer do the job. This lack of care in workmanship is appalling. I realize that anyone can make a mistake (Lord knows how many I've made) but this kind of mistake by a so-called professional could be deadly. I would expect some serious sucking up and/or serious discounts for this type of error.

my 2 cents, Robert
Yes you are correct the motorcycle was picked up. Yes I think the wrong model tires are installed. Yes the rear is mounted wrong. And finally the bike was delivered, and by the time I was able to figure out the error the driver was off to the next drop off. Not sure how they will be able to regain my confidence in them for future service work. Will find out on Monday what they propose to fix this issue, just hope they do not ask for more money! Will update later.
post #10 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hoss
Yes you are correct the motorcycle was picked up. Yes I think the wrong model tires are installed. Yes the rear is mounted wrong. And finally the bike was delivered, and by the time I was able to figure out the error the driver was off to the next drop off. Not sure how they will be able to regain my confidence in them for future service work. Will find out on Monday what they propose to fix this issue, just hope they do not ask for more money! Will update later.

There is absolutely no way I would pay more money. If it came to it, the BBB (for the little that they do) would find out about this along with BMW USA. This is a highway safety issue and should not be swept under the carpet. Does your state have vehicle inspections?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #11 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am not a mechanic and I do not pretend to be one. But as far as I can tell the tires Roadtec Z8 are meant to be on a sport bike or a sport touring machine not the LT. Just by me looking at the different tire numbers 180/55ZR17 73W Roadtec vs. 160/70VB-17 Marathon (comes on the bike) without me having a true understanding what these numbers mean but I think the speed is wrong and also the load. Not to mention the wrong rotation. I just feel like if I did not catch this I was going to be in serious danger. Can somebody break down these numbers so I can understand the difference between what they stuck on to what the LT came with?
I would take a few pictures before they come pick up your bike.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Click here for some tire info as starters. HTH.
post #13 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Was this a bmw dealer,local Harley shop or the motorsports guys?

Last edited by I4neye; Sep 14th, 2013 at 9:23 pm.
post #14 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Unfortunately it is a BMW shop. One of three in the state.
post #15 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
There is absolutely no way I would pay more money. If it came to it, the BBB (for the little that they do) would find out about this along with BMW USA. This is a highway safety issue and should not be swept under the carpet. Does your state have vehicle inspections?

Robert
No mandatory inspections that I am aware of.
post #16 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I would take a few pictures before they come pick up your bike.
I am on the same thought process. I just hope I can take good pictures to show the correct details.
post #17 of 26 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Thank You Sir!
post #18 of 26 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 11:34 am

I had a shop install the incorrect weight rated Metzler 880 on the rear of my L T. They told me i would be fine on my 2500 mile CO ride and just come back for a new rear tire when you get back. They then called me the next day(hour before i was leaving) to tell me my new tire was in. HMMMM. I informed them i was leaving and they said no problem. By the time i got home i was missing chunks out of the tread. the shop fired the person that gave me the tire and I could tell by the way everyone was gathered round my biek they new it was bad. Just lucky the damn tire didnt completely come apart while on the million dollar highway. Then the new sales guy tried to charge me for a new road hazard fee and taxes! ROFL!! If they even hint at any more money i would laugh in their face and tell them they can talk to my lawyer. That is your life on those tires.
post #19 of 26 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Well the dealer stepped up and sent the truck up to get my LT. The correct tires were installed and bike was returned in the same day. Apparently the correct tires were $50 more which the dealer did not charge me for. My LT also came back looking better that when I purchased it from them, so they also detailed it for me. And to top it off gave me a gift card. I do think it is a nice gesture and all, but I may just have to sit back and think about this whole ordeal because I just feel I may be a little gun shy if I need any service from them in the future, we shall see. But for now I am back in the saddle!
post #20 of 26 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well the dealer stepped up and sent the truck up to get my LT. The correct tires were installed and bike was returned in the same day. Apparently the correct tires were $50 more which the dealer did not charge me for. My LT also came back looking better that when I purchased it from them, so they also detailed it for me. And to top it off gave me a gift card. I do think it is a nice gesture and all, but I may just have to sit back and think about this whole ordeal because I just feel I may be a little gun shy if I need any service from them in the future, we shall see. But for now I am back in the saddle!
Sounds like the dealer corrected the problem and even ate some costs, just me I think he earned another chance. You will have to do whatever makes you feel confident.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #21 of 26 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Sounds to me that he is trying to keep a customer. I say give it a shot. At least he did you right in the end.

Robert

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #22 of 26 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 8:31 pm

The dealer stepped up to the plate big time. I would go down and order some accessories ASAP and ask for a 20% discount while the gettin' is good with that gift card.

Just make sure you run those bad boys at 42 front and 48 rear. Check 'em every time for correct pressure and you'll get excellent mileage from them. Ignore the "recommended" pressures. We've got millions of miles on Metzelers at 42 and 48.

It's the right thing to do.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 26 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 2:18 am

While you are there getting discount I need the following......
post #24 of 26 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 11:06 am

I am happy to hear they did the right thing.
post #25 of 26 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Unfortunately it is a BMW shop. One of three in the state.
It is not the one in Green Bay, is it?
post #26 of 26 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
It is not the one in Green Bay, is it?
No it was not. It was Schlossmann Motorcycles of Milwaukee, and I am comfortable with saying that because I feel they did a great job resolving the mistake and gave me ZERO hassles with fixing the problem. I guess mistakes happen. It would have been nice to get more of a explanation of what happened but in the end I hope we both maybe learn from the experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in