Sincle Odiments CD replacement with IPOD - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Single Odiments CD replacement with IPOD

Guys
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I thought about a new twist.
What I have:
2007 K1200 LT with Voice II and singe CD in odiments. No CD Changer installed.
Currently use non-powered Ipod mini via AUX and Griffin Airswitch.

What I want to do:
1. Functionally replace the singe CD in odiments with a powered Ipod/mp3 player.
2. Will consider a Audiovox/DICE RDS unit.
3. Replace Griffin Airswitch with Scosche, if I can't get handlebar controls to govern Ipod.

any thoughts?

Thanks...

RickG
'07 K1200 LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'85 K100 RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gift to friend

Last edited by Rickg; Sep 11th, 2013 at 10:33 am. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:01 am

Re: Sincle Odiments CD replacement with IPOD

I have yet to find someone that has the DICE unit installed and happy with it. Plus you will be required to plug your bike into a charger every time you park it as the DICE unit will drain your battery in a matter of only a couple of days. And the CD is not a player, it's the whole radio unit, you cant just remove it and keep radio and amplifier operation, it will have to stay there and you will have to buy the CD changer wiring harness to add the DICE unit (wire harness is 2X the price of the DICE unit's price from a dealer)

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Agree about the desirability of the Dice RDS. Seems that there is not a lot of good press for this unit. Did come across this item,
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKR2.html

This assumes that the unit on the 2007 is a Becker compatible radio. Not sure about the pin outs, still researching.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 12:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That "CD" player is the entire audio system for the bike. The VOICE system plugs into it so it cannot be removed and still have the factory intercom work.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg
Agree about the desirability of the Dice RDS. Seems that there is not a lot of good press for this unit. Did come across this item,
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKR2.html

This assumes that the unit on the 2007 is a Becker compatible radio. Not sure about the pin outs, still researching.
That is just an audio cable, it will act no different than your AUX input that you are already using. there is nothing inside the radio that can control the ipod/iphone it requires an external box to emulate a cd changer to allow any control.

post #6 of 14 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 7:34 am

I have the single CD player in the odiments box. My used 2002 LT did not come with a CD changer. I put the Dice system in my bike, plug and play. I have no complaints. It announces the next song (if you want, you can turn it off), the song playing scrolls across the radio readout screen, the bikes handlebar controls work the ipod without any issues.
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguard811
I have the single CD player in the odiments box. My used 2002 LT did not come with a CD changer. I put the Dice system in my bike, plug and play. I have no complaints. It announces the next song (if you want, you can turn it off), the song playing scrolls across the radio readout screen, the bikes handlebar controls work the ipod without any issues.
How did you install it without the CD changer wiring harness that is required? What model DICE unit did you purchase?

post #8 of 14 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 9:57 am

Would also like to know this.
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
How did you install it without the CD changer wiring harness that is required? What model DICE unit did you purchase?
His bike may have had one but the PO removed it so the harness was there.

You can make a simple harness that will plug into the rear of the radio where that harness usually goes. It is a standard dual row 0.100" connector (10 pin) much like an IDE buss connector on a computer. I can generate a diagram if you want. Then you can wire that to a Dice unit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 14 Old Sep 27th, 2013, 7:55 am

I have the DICE unit installed in my 05 LT. My understanding is if you have an 04 or older model the DICE will be compatible with it and work as advertised. However, with the 05 and newr it has a different Radio that is not completely compatible. My unit will work but will not display any song or playlist info. You have to start the IPOD playing on the playlist you want plug it into the DICE unit connector. It will then play fine but only allows for You to skip forward or backward and vol control using the handlebar controls. I unplug the unit each night to eliminate the power drain problem. Not perfect but better then keeping te CDChanger! It does charge the IPOD. It also will work with an IPAD which lets me play the music and charge the IPAD while riding. I left the wires in the side bag instead of running up to the oddments box for just this reason to charge the IPAD when traveling since I camp a lot and sometimes have limited charging options. As I said not perfect but functional.

Dave T
I did not live to work....I only worked to live! Retired and living life our way!

K1200LT (Calamity)
06 Concours
03 Wing
99 Kaw Voyager
Suz GS850 (10 years! Too good to go)
Suz GS750
Honda 750F & CL,XL 350
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 27th, 2013, 2:36 pm

I have a DICE unit if you are interested. Works just like David T's. PM me if interested.

Greg
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 27th, 2013, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Re: Single Odiments CD replacement with IPOD

Guys
Thanks for all of the replies/suggestions. This what I did to address the issue:
1. I replaced the old IPOD "Mini" with and old IPOD "Touch" (Gen1). This extends the play time from 4 hours to 20+ hours and adds and additional 12GB of storage.
2. Purchased a Sosche controlFREQ via their site for $62 including shipping. This replaces the Griffin Airnet.
3. Purchased Pocket Dock for $30. More about this later.
4. Run a standard 3.5MM connector to the AUX port in the Odiments box. The connector goes to the Pocket Dock.
5. Mounted the Sosche control unit next to the Audio controls via velcro.
6. Mount the ipod in the Odiments box.
7. Plug in the Sosche RF receiver (30 pin dock connector) then plug in the Pocket Doc.
8. Turn Audio on to AUX and good to go.

Why the Pocket Dock? --> It connects via the standard dock port (30 pin connector). It can accept a standard USB Mini cable for charging and allow a 3.5mm connection. Thus I can now focus on bringing a standard USB power port to the Odiments box for keeping the IPOD charged while riding. This was my main complaint about the IPOD Mini, in that I could run down the charge. The Sosche unit allows me to control start/stop/skip via the left hand without looking down. Almost as good as handlebar controls.

Again, thanks for the feedback/suggestions.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 27th, 2013, 8:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Would really like to see some pix on what your solution was...
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 30th, 2013, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Will do, if I can get the uploader to accept the files.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in