k1200lt oil leak in the filter compartment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:15 am Thread Starter

k1200lt oil leak in the filter compartment

any ideals where to start looking for a leak,when I pull the plate off the filter compartment is has a lot of oil in it not leaking on the ground just in the compartment. I checked for old seals but can't see any thing on the seal flange.Am new to BMW so be gentle LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:20 am

Re: k1200lt oil leak in the filter compartment

This is normal. the filter is in the oil sump.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks I called the dealer and he said that it was not normal, I just bought the bike this past summer and this is the second oil change I have done, the level on the site-glass stays constant. I really like the bike this is my first BMW old Harley rider that wanted to move up to smooth riding LOL thanks again

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast
Thanks I called the dealer and he said that it was not normal, I just bought the bike this past summer and this is the second oil change I have done, the level on the site-glass stays constant. I really like the bike this is my first BMW old Harley rider that wanted to move up to smooth riding LOL thanks again
Welcome to the BMWLT forum.

Perhaps you are not describing your bikes symptoms in a way that makes sense to those of us on this forum. If you have oil inside the oil filter access cover this is normal; since the oil filter is placed within the oil sump of the engine and is completely immersed in the engine oil. If you have oil leaking onto the ground then I'd be concerned, however what you describe is normal and the dealer is probably confused by your description too.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:26 am Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't know what to call the filter compartment other than that,when I removed the 3 allen head bolts that hold the cover on it has oil in it not on the ground but inside the compartment.I explained that to the service rep on the phone and he said it was not normal.My thinking was that,it never lost any oil in the site-glass, so I didn't understand where the oil was coming from. I see that now it is the sump and the filter is surrounded with oil, Thanks again for the response,as I am still learning about the bike.
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know what to call the filter compartment other than that,when I removed the 3 allen head bolts that hold the cover on it has oil in it not on the ground but inside the compartment.I explained that to the service rep on the phone and he said it was not normal.My thinking was that,it never lost any oil in the site-glass, so I didn't understand where the oil was coming from. I see that now it is the sump and the filter is surrounded with oil, Thanks again for the response,as I am still learning about the bike.

When you removed the three bolts you should have emptied the crankcase of oil. As previously stated, the filter is completely immersed in the crankcase oil. The filter will still be full so be careful when removing it as is the case with most internal combustion engines of any kind.

Many of use choose this method than fiddling with the one oil pan bolt.
You need to remove the three to change the filter anyway.

Welcome to the forum!
Paul

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #7 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:46 am

You must have drained the oil before removing the filter cover plate. Otherwise you would have found about 4 quarts of oil there, and made a huge mess to boot!

Most of us drain the oil through this cover (carefully) rather than removing the drain plug.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info,and yes I had drained the oil through the plug,before I removed the cover,I try to do all my maintenance and will be asking more questions on here I'am sure. Nice to know that I have this forum to learn from thanks
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Note: I have discovered that the Dealership is not the best to ask about repairs and technical questions about the bike, rarely do you get to talk to a real mechanic and most of the time you get someone in sales that barely understand that the rubber side goes down on their motorcycles.

If you can get your hands on http://www.amazon.com/Clymer-K1200RS...K1200LT+repair this manual it will give you more information than any of the BMW dealer mechanics even know about the bike.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info,and yes I had drained the oil through the plug,before I removed the cover,I try to do all my maintenance and will be asking more questions on here I'am sure. Nice to know that I have this forum to learn from thanks
These boards are the BEST for learning and assistance. welcome to the nut house
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2013, 2:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I usually loosen the front bolt/bolts and then just back off the last one. That way you get a nice flow of oil rather than a gusher. After it just about stops dripping, I drop out all three and remove the cover. ( Pretty much like everyone does)

BTW; Welcome to the forum.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in