Damn those batteries - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Damn those batteries

5 month old p680 odyssey. past month stranded a 1/2 dozen times. No start. Mostly use a tender. rode at least 5 0f 7 days a week. taking voltage 1st instance was low 11s jumped with a jeep. put on tender watched voltage. bike at idle 13.3 or so.bike off 12.75. used an auto charger goes up to 15amps. went to get load tested at auto zone Battery good on way to batteries plus stop and shut off bike NO START. voltage 11.75 get a jump get to batt + they test batt good volts 12.95 240cca rated 170cca starter test normal 11.09v charging test LOW 13.12v.
any SWAGs as to what is my problem? Parasitic drain was minimal. taking a trip to skyline drive next weekend. New battery? alternator/voltage regulator or just bring a tender and STFU...

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold

Last edited by TeddyTelco; Sep 7th, 2013 at 9:27 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Re: Damn those batteries

I think it suppose to be a PC 680; NOT 620
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 9:15 pm

I had to replace my Odyssey on its first anniversary, literally to the day.
This forced me to stop at BMW of San Jose on my way to CCR and get a brand spanking new battery.
I wonder if Odyssey started to outsource its manufacturing to China...
A big disappointment in any case

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 9:18 pm

My first thought was a bad cell in the battery. But you said you had it tested and it was good. So I'm out...

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 1:29 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Hmmm... just used an odyssey battery that had been sitting for 8 month in a 1150 and it popped the bike over right away. My buddy only uses odyssey and he never puts them on a tender and they seem to never go dead.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #6 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 5:55 am

Another PC 680 story FWIW.
Installed a new Odyssey PC 680 in Apr. A few daily rides and one weekend rally rally trip in May; no problems. Started to Salem and had to get a jump second morning of the trip. Failed to start three other mornings on the three week trip.

My DVM would show charging at 13.3 to 13.6v at road rpms., and 12.4v parked/key off after a good day on the road. On "failure" mornings, the DVM would indicate 12.4/12.5 v and then, when the starter engaged, go to 10.8 - 11.4v. Good voltage with no load, then not enough to turn the motor. Limped home always parking with access to jump it when necessary. Got a load test at my BMW dealer. Battery showed "fail" almost immediately. Checked for "key-off" drainage and found < 3.mA. ('tech said <4.5 mA was acceptable)

Shipped the PC 680 back to retailer for test. It failed as "defective" and was promptly replaced.

Bob in Indy

K12LT Black "Elvira"
'76 R75/6 "Old Blue"
Knights of the Roundel #333
post #7 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 6:32 am

Teddy, Relic has a point. You need to measure the voltage while the starter button is engaged to see how far down it's going under load. Once you release the start button, it's no longer under load, so the battery voltage will go back up to a degree- obviously enough to make you think it's good.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 7:07 am

I once thought I had a PC680 going bad, replaced it, then found I had a problem with the wire from the dash alternator light to the back of the alternator issue. The connection on the back of the alternator was loose, and sometimes made contact, other times not. I was riding around with the battery sometimes charging, sometimes not.

After fixing this, no problems.

I did learn this: ALWAYS CHECK THE ALTERNATOR LIGHT ON THE DASH WHEN TURNING ON THE IGNITION, BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE! If it is not on, then the alternator may or may not charge the battery when the engine is started!

The LT alternator is an "externally excited" type, and needs the small current through the dash bulb to initiate charging once the engine is started. There are no permanent magnets in this type of alternator, so the small current is needed to "boot" the alternator when started. There may or may not be enough residual magnetism in the rotor to do this without the light circuit working, but usually not.

By the way, I had a garden tractor in which the battery died, the old PC680 I took out of the LT had been sitting on my garage floor for about 6 months, just for the heck of it I put it in the tractor, and it started better than ever! Three years later when sold the tractor it still had the PC680 in it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 7:18 am

David, that's a good tip. Thanks for the heads up. People, even mechanics, forget about the bulb test and other related functions during the initial sequence of starting not only bikes, but other vehicles too. In a related note, just the other day, one of my "customers" got in his diesel tactical vehicle, started it up, and it immediately started beeping at him. He was a little put off, asking me "what's that noise?" I looked at the instrument panel, which was revealing a related visual indication of a lack of air pressure for the brakes. I told him as soon as the air builds up, then the audio alarm will stop, and it did.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #10 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses .
" ALWAYS CHECK THE ALTERNATOR LIGHT ON THE DASH" I don't have my owners manual but am guessing it's the one that looks like the battery. I have the Clymers out and will try to access the alternator connections. The battery was purchased at a BMW dealer in Va. so I can't get it back too them unless I make a side trip. Batteries+ was of no help even though manufacturer said they would (well other than testing battery). I don't trust the battery as between load tests and about 5miles it wouldn't start and showed 11.75 on my DVM.

post #11 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 7:51 am

The 680 is a Great Battery I made this comment from the post that I made earlier on the second post above ;I think I did not have my glasses on ;

Last edited by GaryEm; Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:09 am.
post #12 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyTelco
Thanks for the responses .
" ALWAYS CHECK THE ALTERNATOR LIGHT ON THE DASH" I don't have my owners manual but am guessing it's the one that looks like the battery. I have the Clymers out and will try to access the alternator connections. ------------------------
The bulb connection on the rear of the alternator is the small wire, with a "push on" connector. On mine, the push on connector did not fit tightly. I just pulled it off, squeezed it a little with pliers until it fit tightly.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 8:01 am Thread Starter

"The 680 is a Great Battery " maybe some of them or not everyday...

post #14 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Gary I edited it after you pointed it out

post #15 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyTelco
Gary I edited it after you pointed it out

Boy you pulled a good one on me;I thought I maybe lost it;my mind that is
post #16 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Battery failed test today. Got a new one. Hope I have better luck with this one... Thanks to all

post #17 of 19 Old Sep 9th, 2013, 4:26 pm

FYI noticed in a couple of posts people jump starting their bikes, or parking it so it could be jump started. I limped around with a weak battery for a while before I finally got a new one, I found the LT easy to push start....not easy to push single handed, but a little down hill action, or an extra pair of hands to push it, and from second gear it would start instantly (Dont forget to turn the key on!) I was impressed...ended up buying the UB12220 off ebay for 42 bucks, perfect fit in the bike and so far, working flawlessly!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 9th, 2013, 6:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
FYI noticed in a couple of posts people jump starting their bikes, or parking it so it could be jump started. I limped around with a weak battery for a while before I finally got a new one, I found the LT easy to push start....not easy to push single handed, but a little down hill action, or an extra pair of hands to push it, and from second gear it would start instantly (Dont forget to turn the key on!) I was impressed...ended up buying the UB12220 off ebay for 42 bucks, perfect fit in the bike and so far, working flawlessly!
True, keeping in mind that you must have enough energy in the battery to charge the fuel rail. So if it's completely dead (i.e. lights left on for days) then don't bother with the push start unless you have a long enough hill to get the alternator spinning enough to make some volts.

post #19 of 19 Old Sep 9th, 2013, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

" I found the LT easy to push start....not easy to push single handed, but a little down hill action, or an extra pair of hands to push it, and from second gear it would start instantly (Dont forget to turn the key on!) I was impressed.."

The owners manual says not to push start the bike as it could damage the catalytic converter. I jumped it with another vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in