1200LT Radio issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Question 1200LT Radio issue

I have a problem with my radio and not sure what it is. When I turn the radio on, it is in stereo but after about 30 seconds it goes only to my right speaker. Does anyone know what is causing this? I haven't heard my front speakers for a long time so I don't know if they come on right when the radio is turned on or not. I know when I try to adjust them, they don't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 1200LT Radio issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryVRay
I have a problem with my radio and not sure what it is. When I turn the radio on, it is in stereo but after about 30 seconds it goes only to my right speaker. Does anyone know what is causing this? I haven't heard my front speakers for a long time so I don't know if they come on right when the radio is turned on or not. I know when I try to adjust them, they don't work.
You have the typical symptoms of a failing radio amp. Sorry won't get better. There is a guy in England that fixes the radio by replacing the amps. Otherwise you will need to replace the radio with something on Ebay. If you are not afraid of some electrical work and a little plastic carving you could replace it with a Jensen, there are a number of posts with instructions for the Jenson. Do a search for Jensen to find the links.

Take a look at this thread to get some ideas. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=jensen

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
You have the typical symptoms of a failing radio amp. Sorry won't get better. There is a guy in England that fixes the radio by replacing the amps. Otherwise you will need to replace the radio with something on Ebay. If you are not afraid of some electrical work and a little plastic carving you could replace it with a Jensen, there are a number of posts with instructions for the Jenson. Do a search for Jensen to find the links.

Take a look at this thread to get some ideas. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=jensen
If you choose to go the Jensen route, I am looking for dead or broken radio parts to experiment with so I can be an american side repair guy. I've been an electronics engineer for 20 years so this kind of stuff is right up my alley.

Sadly most owners throw out the broken parts before I get ahold of them.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 11:00 am

my front channels now cut out after about 10 seconds. I may have found a local guy here to make the repair, i just have to get the radio out and over to him to check out. If things work out good then I will post his information on here.
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 11:51 pm

I've tried to find a schematic for my 2000 radio, no luck.

I bought the EU kit to replace, upgrade the amplifier, but my radio is very different.

looking for a simple variable seeped circuit control for the dc fish tank motor in my veskimo.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in