ABS fault problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

ABS fault problem

Hi everyone, I'm having a problem clearing an ABS fault. Here's the whole story:

In June of last year I installed my aux fuel cell. It is a "tail-dragger", which means it has an auxiliary light for the license plate. I connected the wires for the light to the wires going to the middle lamp in the tail light housing, which threw an immediate ABS fault. I posted a query here and, within a few minutes, I had multiple responses telling me to tap into one of the other lamps, not the middle one, (what a great resource this list is!).

Well, I was on my way to California the next day for the Cal 24 rally and had to stop in Las Vegas to pick up a part at a race car parts house. While I was waiting for the shop to open, I re-wired the lamp wiring. After picking up the part, I went to Las Vegas BMW, (nice shop), and they took the bike right in and hooked it up to the computer. They cleared the ABS fault, rode the bike around the parking lot and pronounced me good to go. They gave me a print out of the fault, which showed a rear wheel sensor failure. I'd heard that the way BMW decided to have the bikes warn us of a brake or tail light failure is to trow the ABS fault, so I figured all was well. The shop didn't charge me for this and it was a great experience at an out-of-town shop.

So, I rode the bike for a few months until August. I was riding to work one morning and my ABS lights started flashing. I took the bike to my local dealer and the service tech hooked it up to the computer and tried to clear the fault. Every time he would start the bike it would go back into the fault mode. The computer showed the same fault code as the one I had from the earlier trip.

The tech did a check of the sensor wiring, (I had fixed the over-tight zip tie problem a few years ago), and he said the resistance checked out OK.

Well, I've got the new motor in the bike now and I would like to get this fault cleared. While I had the bike apart, I traced the sensor wiring and everything seemed OK. I'm considering just replacing the sensor, but I have a gut feeling that the problem is in the tail light wiring due to my earlier experiences.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

George Barnes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 2:49 pm

I just know you, or one of the techs that worked on your problem, checked the brake fluid levels in all the reservoirs, so if it ain't that, then I'm done!! I'll leave the other possibilities to the list gurus. Good luck, George.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

My bad!

I should have noted that the bike is an '01 without the linked system.

GB

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Where is everyone?

I posted this on Saturday and have only received two replies, and one of them was from me!

Is everyone out riding?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

TIA

GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarnes
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem clearing an ABS fault. Here's the whole story:

In June of last year I installed my aux fuel cell. It is a "tail-dragger", which means it has an auxiliary light for the license plate. I connected the wires for the light to the wires going to the middle lamp in the tail light housing, which threw an immediate ABS fault. I posted a query here and, within a few minutes, I had multiple responses telling me to tap into one of the other lamps, not the middle one, (what a great resource this list is!).

Well, I was on my way to California the next day for the Cal 24 rally and had to stop in Las Vegas to pick up a part at a race car parts house. While I was waiting for the shop to open, I re-wired the lamp wiring. After picking up the part, I went to Las Vegas BMW, (nice shop), and they took the bike right in and hooked it up to the computer. They cleared the ABS fault, rode the bike around the parking lot and pronounced me good to go. They gave me a print out of the fault, which showed a rear wheel sensor failure. I'd heard that the way BMW decided to have the bikes warn us of a brake or tail light failure is to trow the ABS fault, so I figured all was well. The shop didn't charge me for this and it was a great experience at an out-of-town shop.

So, I rode the bike for a few months until August. I was riding to work one morning and my ABS lights started flashing. I took the bike to my local dealer and the service tech hooked it up to the computer and tried to clear the fault. Every time he would start the bike it would go back into the fault mode. The computer showed the same fault code as the one I had from the earlier trip.

The tech did a check of the sensor wiring, (I had fixed the over-tight zip tie problem a few years ago), and he said the resistance checked out OK.

Well, I've got the new motor in the bike now and I would like to get this fault cleared. While I had the bike apart, I traced the sensor wiring and everything seemed OK. I'm considering just replacing the sensor, but I have a gut feeling that the problem is in the tail light wiring due to my earlier experiences.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

George Barnes
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 8:44 pm

I have an '02 LTC. The ABS system failed and was replaced at 10000 miles. Another 2000 miles and the brake failure light started flashing and would reset itself a few times. I discovered that the rear brake fluid res. had 2 filler caps. Topping off did not help. What did resolve the problem, up to the current 25000 miles is the total replacement of the brake fluid, which I am told you should do every 3 years anyway. That solved the problem.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Have you tried draining and replacing the brake fluid. I have an '02 that had the recurring brake failure warning even after having the ABS system unit replaced at 10,000 miles. No problems since then.
I guess it's supposed to be a 3 year deal anyway, along with the clutch fluid.
The rear break resevoir isn't the easiest thing to get to either, especially the forward fill cap. Hope this helps. The warning light can become a little nerve racking.
post #7 of 7 Old May 5th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Hey George!

I just got back from Chicago BMW... The news is bad. Though I had a remarkably good experience at the dealer. In fact I would say fantabulous expereince which was interesting and refreshing.

Though they reset the motronic and cleared the ABS fault the report specifically said the ABS pump was bad. It set a code the second I pulled away from the shop. It's dead....

So costs?

$70 times 8 hours for $560 in labor

Aproximately $1700 for the ABS pump. (Yes I know it is cheaper on eBay, but that is used).

Then there is Illinois/Chicago level taxes on everything. I'm sure the bill will be over $2500 which is about a fifth the value of the bike...

Bike is obviously out of warranty but only has slightly over 40K miles. For a bike only serviced by BMW (except tires), and of such young vintage I can't believe a major part like this would die.

sam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in