Dealing with keys... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

Dealing with keys...

The LT has a nasty habit of getting the other keys trapped under the radio control. It's really not designed to have anything but the ignition key there. I guess they expect the butler to open the door when we arrive home.

Has anyone tried this http://mykeyport.com/ on their bike key as a solution? does it work well if you have it? I have only 3 keys on my keychain. Bike, House, and lock on the 1 wheel motorcycle trailer. And I have not found anything that keeps the keys from dangling and getting trapped under the radio control head top section.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 3:38 pm

Re: Dealing with keys...

MY '02 came with a key that had no hole for any type of ring.

I drilled a small hole in the rubber piece and placed a small ring with a small rubber key fob on it. No other keys on that ring, just the LT key.

I think it's a German thing, no ring, that is.
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 5:15 pm

I have one of those devices that separates a key ring. It's the type with a sleeve that you pull back to separate. The other keys (and club membership cards with bar-codes etc) go in my pocket, just the BMW key is on the ignition and it completely clears the gap. When I get off the bike I reconnect the two halves back together. If I recall correctly the little keyring separator was about $2.

Hope this helps.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 8:19 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have nothing attached to my key. I keep my other keys in the stingray storage compartment.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 10:18 pm

Both LTs I have owned had keys with no hole and keys with a hole. I always used the keys with no hole so as not to be tempted to put a ring it and end up with a problem. The rest of my keys and Y membership tag stay in my overpants pocket.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 5:54 am

I would not recommend any key ring configuration except for the ignition key only. Engine running, bike in gear, rolling backwards down the driveway. Reached the street still pointing nose up in the drive way. Let clutch out, started sharp turn to port, and the thing just died. And fell over in a heap. The reason it died is that the second key on the ring got caught on the stuff below the ignition switch and turned the ignition off. Game over. Switched to single key and no more problems.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 7:10 am

I only remove the key to my bike when it's out of the garage and it's the only one on the ring with a return to sender address.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 7:34 pm

I keep one of the flat spare keys on my keychain and use it to lock and unlock the bike. I use the rubber topped key in the ignition and just lock it up on the bike when I park it.

This has the added benefit of me always having two keys on me. I don't have power locks and a fob however.

Dan

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2013, 3:40 am
Super Moderator

My solution for the past 10 years - if there is no hole drill one!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 2:01 am

I have a small BMW key case holding the fob and the garage key which I wear around my neck, on which I can clip the main key. I always wear the key case around my neck, because I have too many pockets which I most of the times forget to zip up...

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:09 am

I do not put my LT key on a keyring for the very reason we are discussing here. Since I'm usually wearing jeans, it stores in my watch pocket where I can easily retrieve it without having to sift through all the other stuff I carry.

I used to just leave it in the bike when at home but had to change that when my grandson got big enough to climb up on the bike without assistance. Keys seemed to become hard to find at about that same time and he was the prime suspect even though his mom assured me that she never let him get on the bike without me around. I found two keys during a maintenance project last summer that required the usual tupperware removal. Some mom's are more trustworthy than others - no 3 year old kid is.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #12 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 11:31 am

Just take a look at most bikes that have the ignition on top of the triple tree and see the myriad of scratches caused by key on a ring with other keys.

Not for me. I keep my moto key separate from all other keys.
That thing linked in the OP looks like a good way to snap a key off in a lock cylinder. Way too long.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Wink Re: Dealing with keys...

I agree with all the reasons not to have a wad of other keys attached to the LT key but I will never carry a bare LT key again. I fumbled the rubber key into the darkness under the stingray one evening away from home.

Fortunately I had a spare tucked away in a secret place to get home. I found the fumbled key after removing the sting ray et al, at home. I now carry the key attached to a rubber rally fob ('03 Charleston MOA). I've mishandled it a couple of times but it was easily recovered.

Bob in Indy

K12LT Black "Elvira"
'76 R75/6 "Old Blue"
Knights of the Roundel #333
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 4:57 pm

I have one of those silver BMW key knobs I think from Wunderlich that clamps the key and make your key look like an ignition switch. When I stop I toss it in the odments box and lock the bike with the fob. I keep the fob clipped to my jacket. That way it reminds me to always wear my gear. I'd post a picture if I knew how.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in