Ethanol okay for your LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Ethanol okay for your LT?

Sitting in front of a Krogers and noticed a sign that reads: "PREMIUN FUEL does NOT contain ETHENOL"

I suspect that's company wide. Cool!!!

Hope that improves my MPG from 44-46 avg highway. Should also be better for my '02 engine, right?

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Ethanol okay for your LT?

Wish I could see a sign like that !
post #3 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 2:13 pm

I run regular E10 in mine and get 50.1 MPG. I also live in Northwest FL where the highest elevation is an overpass. YMMV.

53 MPG and life just keeps getting better

2001 Triumph Sprint ST [sold]
2000 K1200LT 'Nimitz'

post #4 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 2:46 pm

I used gas both with and without ethanol in my 99LT and never noticed any difference in gas mileage. My LT got 55-60 mpg most of the time around Kansas.
post #5 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Not all places have ethanol free Premium. Most actually have more ethanol in the premium as it has a higher Octane rating and makes it cheaper to get to 92. I know that shell and the local michigan gas stations named "wesco" add ethanol to all grades, ethanol is actually an octane enhancer as well as a fuel so it is likely that if your local pump is using Ethanol enhanced fuel it is in all grades and probably at full 10% in premium fuel.

Ethanol it's self has an octane rating of 113, it's why most people that race cars run E85, it's cheap racing fuel.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular-0 Car talks info on this.

I am betting that the LT is designed to deal with ethanol, unless BMW made some major boneheaded decisions in plastic and rubber choices when they built the bikes there should be no problems... Storage issues are more important.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC

Last edited by timgray; Aug 30th, 2013 at 5:41 pm.
post #6 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 6:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just remember higher octane does not mean more power per volume of fuel. In fact just the opposite is true as the higher octane will not detonate in a high compression engine where lower octane will explode on its own.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Just remember higher octane does not mean more power per volume of fuel. In fact just the opposite is true as the higher octane will not detonate in a high compression engine where lower octane will explode on its own.
Yup, But at 13.5:1 compression, or running 24 psi of boost on an engine it's important to have very high Octane ratings so it doesn't detonate.

The LT is a 10.8:1 compression engine and that is why we actually need Midgrade at normal temps and Premium at high air temps.

post #8 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 9:44 pm
cws

Garage

Ran E10 95 in my 2005 for about 3 years as it was relatively cheaper and the LT is designed to take it according to all the specs I could find.
Trouble was I had a bad hesitation at takeoff, and since its my only vehicle for commuting I have a lot of traffic lights to deal with.
Changed back to standard 95 fuel and hesitation gone, won't use ethanol again unless there's no choice.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 22 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Wished I could see signs like that..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #10 of 22 Old Aug 31st, 2013, 12:21 am

Around here they charge you full price for E10, but then they dont mark it E10, Michigan does not require them to tell you so only stations that have non ethanol advertise they dont have any, so you have to assume ALL stations are selling E10 unless they say otherwise.

post #11 of 22 Old Aug 31st, 2013, 8:15 pm

There are apparently 146 stations in MI that sell ethanol free gas - and 7215 in the US and Canada total:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Just about impossible to find in the Southwest. Ethanol causes all KINDS of hell with outboards, small engines and older bikes AND newer bikes as well.

Our local BMW shop - the #1 in the nation for customer satisfaction - tells me that 25% of performance related problems are due to ethanol. It keeps their service department busy and them in a very profitable position due to it.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 31st, 2013 at 8:24 pm.
post #12 of 22 Old Aug 31st, 2013, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216
Wished I could see signs like that..
You can - there are 40 in Ohio:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

If it was just a few miles out of my way I would definitely get it...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 22 Old Aug 31st, 2013, 11:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
Yup, But at 13.5:1 compression, or running 24 psi of boost on an engine it's important to have very high Octane ratings so it doesn't detonate.

The LT is a 10.8:1 compression engine and that is why we actually need Midgrade at normal temps and Premium at high air temps.
The 05 + are 11.5:1 using the RS pistons. I always use premium, non-ethanol if I can find it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 22 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray

I don't think I can agree with that line of thinking.

The owner's manual of my my 2001 (which should apply to all years from '99 to '04 with a compression ratio of 10.8 to 1) manual calls for Super premium unleaded fuel minimum - 95 RON or 85 MON = 90 pump octane. Period.

I would not run regular or midgrade in it - ever.

Generally speaking premium in the US is 91-93, midgrade 89 and regular 87.

Compression does not always dictate octane requirements - it is MUCH more involved than that. (unless your current knowledge of internal combustion motors stops in about 1985). For example, Mazda's Sky Activ motor has a compression ratio of 13:1 - yet calls for an octane rating of 87. Over the life of the vehicle the savings between using super premium and regular can add up to some serious money.

I've always suspected that manufacturer's of high end vehicles specify Super premium simply because that's what their customer's expect: "What, run regular in my Mercedes?? It's much too good for that - why even the thought is just DREADFUL!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 22 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 6:05 pm

the LT motor does not have a knock sensor so you are taking a chance running less the premium - they run pretty lean

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #16 of 22 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 7:03 pm

World wide premium is 91 octane in USA numbers. Super is what most of us confuse premium to be. 95 RON in Europe is equal to our 91 here in the states. Generally you will only find one grade of unleaded fuel in Europe and it is 95 RON. Europe is more focused on diesel and multiple grades of cetane ratings. 89 to 91 octane should be sufficient to run a BMW motorbike. If you ride hard then step up the octane fuel. If you can avoid ethanol and run straight gas it would be better.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #17 of 22 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 7:07 pm

I was believing that sticker on the gas lid that said 89 AKI mean 89 Octane US.

Need to get some octane booster in there. Honestly, why did the dealers let the bikes out without slapping a sticker over that or peeling it off. Most people would be fooled by that.

Last edited by timgray; Sep 1st, 2013 at 7:26 pm.
post #18 of 22 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 7:10 pm

Owner's manual specifies 91 pump octane for mine. So, no guesswork or analysis need be involved. Seems simple enough.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #19 of 22 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:57 am

And with higher compression in the '05s and onwards, they also, IMHO, are a "never ever ever run anything less than 91". I've read about 8 different posts from John Zeiler over the last three years or so who mentions he has seen ring and wall damage across several motors almost certainly from running lower octane. I've heard a few owners on this board and on the road that have the misconception that because this is a BMW, it is high tech and therefore it must have a knock sensor... Which it doesn't (and you do have to wonder why on a touring bike that could end up in the middle of nowhere, but presumably it was a cost/benefit trade off).

Now on the topic of ethanol, I hate that stuff - it destroyed the fuel system of a chain saw and blower even with Stabil added (fuel lines harden and crack). And worse, there are only two gas stations in the entire state of MA that have fuel without ethanol, and they're way out of the way for me to get to. So I guess I'm hoping by the luck of the gods that the fuel system can handle 10% corn.... And there was talk of going to 15%...

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #20 of 22 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I had a 2000 Ford Mustang and Ford recommended REGULAR unleaded even saying the engine was designed for it. The owner's manual even had a section that said that premium unleaded "provided no benefit for the engine and could result in less than optimal fuel economy and performance". Some engines are designed for it and some are not.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #21 of 22 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 8:00 pm

According to the Service Rep BMW will not warranty damage done to your fuel system caused by Ethanol, the problem is the rubber used in the fuel system that rapidly degrades because of Ethanol the stuff really does a number on hoses and rings.

If we end up with E15 I think we're going to see a whole heck of lot of very unhappy people not to mention the drastically lowered fuel mileage that goes along with its use.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #22 of 22 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:02 pm

I do not believe that Kroger premium is ethanol-free in all states they operate or across all of their many brands. In the D/FW area, it does not apply on Kroger-branded fuel. On a recent trip out west, did not see such a sign at Fry's, Food For Less, or Ralphs (all Kroger brands).

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in