BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Rain Riding

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  tvguy 
#1 ·
Since you guys rock and are have some great info, I have another question being a newbee to the LT. How does she handle in the rain and what are some basic do's and dont's when "ridin n the rain" :)

#2 ·
keep moving

As long as your rolling the LT has amazing rain protection, crank the windshield up high and all that will get wet on the rider is the shoulders and the feet, passenger stays even drier or at least my wife does.
All you have to worry about is stopping.
My rules for the rain are slow down and keep moving.

#4 ·
What I have noticed is that it depends on how hard it is raining. Raining some then put the windshield all the way up and you can go fast enough to cut thru the rain. But when it is raining hard and you have to slow down then expect to get wet because the windshield does not cut thru the rain. As far as handling goes the LT handles fine with good tires. I get very apprehensive riding in the rain and probably go slower than I need to but the important thing is "ride within your limits".

#5 ·
Mark,

The key is smooth operation. No hard acceleration, no hard stops. Don't slam it into the turns. Treat the throttle cable like it is a silk thread and you will be just fine. Stay AWAY from the painted lines as they are extremely slippery. Avoid the center of the road at stop lights as that is where cars and Harleys (sorry) leak their oil, also slippery. Drive in the tire track of the vehicle in front of you. Enjoy!

#6 ·
When the rain first starts the road will be very slick, treat it like ice. After it has rained hard for a few minutes it is alot better. On the interstate I don't even slow down much unless I can't see. On back roads take turns slower, plan your stops, & watch the oil at traffic light. As far as protection, it is the best I have ever had, a little better than the Yamaha Venture & a whole lot better than the Goldwing.

#7 ·
I am so glad I registered on this site! Great input guys and thanks. Hope to meet many of you at a rally one day:) The wife and I are looking forward to many years of riding our LT! She loves it as well!

#8 ·
DaveDragon said:
Mark, it's not too late to join us at Spring Training Camp for Riders next weekend in North Carolina.
Just register and get a room or camping space and come on down.
Dave, I invited Mark already to STC next week but he and his wife have another trip to the mountains planned. Imagine that -- not wanting to join us! :D

I met Mark and his wife the day they picked up their new LT. They are nice people and you will enjoy meeting them yourself some day.

#9 ·
mpillis said:
What I have noticed is that it depends on how hard it is raining. Raining some then put the windshield all the way up and you can go fast enough to cut thru the rain. But when it is raining hard and you have to slow down then expect to get wet because the windshield does not cut thru the rain. As far as handling goes the LT handles fine with good tires. I get very apprehensive riding in the rain and probably go slower than I need to but the important thing is "ride within your limits".
I have to take issue with this advice. Looking through a rain splattered windscreen only obscures your vision more. Having the wind on your face shield helps to keep it reasonably clear, and there is one less layer to look through.

Rain-riding boils down to 2 things, traction and visibility. You have less traction and have to ride accordingly, both because of your traction deficit, and the diminished traction of those with whom you share the road. In many cases, with the LT's ABS, you can stop more abruptly than the vehicles behind you. Situational awareness becomes even more critical in the rain.

Visibility issues are twofold. Your vision will be diminished, and a fogged shield, or worse, fogged shield AND glasses, are deadly. Whatever you use to prevent fogging, it has to work when you are stopped as well as moving. In rain, you must keep the shield down at all times......as soon as you lift the shield, rain will coat the inside of the shield, or, as in my case, the shield and glasses. In the rain, shield down, all the time.

The other issue is, again, contending with other motorists. They will not be able to see you as well as when it's dry. Making yourself and the bike more conspicuous is important. In a heavy rain, using the flashers may save your life; also, another good reason to use HyperLights or similar, as well as additional running lights (MotoLights, fog lights, etc).

Rain-riding at night is even more challenging. Besides all of the above, it's very difficult to see road obstructions, and those deadly white paint markings disappear.

You just have to adapt to the conditions; experience will dictate when it's time to park it; the challenge is to get the experience without getting squished.

-tom

#10 ·
Thanks for the kind words Howard and like wise for you and your wife as well. Hey I was thinking, my wife said she in in the mood for a BBQ. Maybe we could all meet at one of the parks here in Ohio and have a cook out. All would be invited of course:)

#11 ·
I agree Tom.

Windscreen and dry weather, position the screen so the blast is on your chest.
Windscreen & wet weather, position the screen so you can just see over it - the wind then keeps your face shield much clearer. If you ride with the screen up so far that you have to look thru it, your vision is much poorer in the wet.

#12 ·
Of course, changing the stock windshield to a Cee Bailey #2 will allow you to actually see through it while greatly improving wind and water deflection. I agree though, when the rain gets significant, I bring it down just low enough to see over it for much better visibility.

#13 · (Edited)
makinne said:
Since you guys rock and are have some great info, I have another question being a newbee to the LT. How does she handle in the rain and what are some basic do's and dont's when "ridin n the rain" :)

Oh, man, here we go...so many things to consider and so little time to write it down in a post. Seems like a lot of things have been considered while riding in the rain. I have done LOTS of rain riding over the years and can only add that you should work up to it slowly but only after getting as much advice as you can. A good place to start would be with David Hough's books "Proficient Motorcycling", "More Proficient Motorcycling"and another one that I cannot remember right now. Good info on rain riding. Gear is especially important as well.

Bottom line...if you can develop your skills and become familiar with your envelope of safety/skill/experience/luck, etc., then you can ride safely in the rain and actually enjoy it. Just remember that motorcycling is all about "control". YOU control everything and a majority of that control comes through your hands but must first begin within the 5" expanse between yer ears.

This time of year, though, don't forget about the problems with fog. The greatest problem with fog is disorientation. Also, the windshield can instantly fog up and leave you blind. Another good reason to look OVER yer windshield most of the time. Like I said, so many things. Just work at em slowly and become a "professional" student of motorcycling. Never, never sit back and become complacent, though. After all, ya got's the love of yer live on the pillion!

#14 ·
Two thoughts on rain riding the LT from my experience...

I find the center of the lane slicker than the cage wheel tracks. Oil and other materials not as worn off in the center lane area.

Also... I've had some puckers from certain white and yellow paint marking the lanes and roads. The Metzler tires do seem a little slicker than I'm used to on my older Wing with Bridgestones. When leaning and crossing a paint stripe I have encountered some slips.

good post.

#15 ·
KYchris02 said:
...Also... I've had some puckers from certain white and yellow paint marking the lanes and roads. The Metzler tires do seem a little slicker than I'm used to on my older Wing with Bridgestones. When leaning and crossing a paint stripe I have encountered some slips.
10-4 on that! I've ridden in the rain a grand total of... oh... 3 times? Not because I avoid it, but because I've only been riding 9 months and it hasn't rained that much.

The MSF BRC instructors touched on this topic (and 5,318 other topics) very briefly. I have experienced for myself how slippery paint stripes can be when wet, and I approach them very warily when it's wet; I find myself not changing lanes as frequently as when it's dry, in order to avoid them.

#16 ·
makinne said:
Thanks for the kind words Howard and like wise for you and your wife as well. Hey I was thinking, my wife said she in in the mood for a BBQ. Maybe we could all meet at one of the parks here in Ohio and have a cook out. All would be invited of course:)
Sure Mark, that's a great idea. Let's git 'er done.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the great advice!! I think you are right the bottom line is getting the experience and becoming a skilled rider, especially when you have your wife's life in your hands. I know one thing I learned in SCUBA that applies when riding and that is DONT PANIC! But you must also become skilled at riding in the rain so I think one rainy day I will take to some of the back roads here in the country and just practice:) Thanks again guys and if anyone is interested in a get together here in Ohio for an afternoon BBQ at one of our parks let me know and I will try and put something together if there is enough interest.

#19 ·
Relax, riding tense in any situation isn't good.

Don't ride for the first 30 minutes of a rain if it hasn't rained in awhile. Coffee break time.

Watch out for RR tracks and steel plates covering the road in construction areas.

Read the road, you see it changing colors, might be mud, etc. in the lane. Owl snot.

Watch your curves, off camber, decreasing radius can be a lot of giggles, especially when slick.

The rear end comes out from under you and you start to slide, stay on the throttle. Nothing like setting yourself up for a high side.

I always laugh when I hear folks say they stay dry in rain. Ask Dick, he's ridden in real rain with me. Nothing stays dry, no matter what you wear or if you're in a glass bubble.

And lastly: stay off of oil slicks at daybreak. Boy, do I know that one.

#20 ·
One small item you might want to think about is when you stop - where you put your foot. Water on the highway or street can be slippery, especially at a toll booth and especially if you are two up.

Don't pass up a chance to ride in the rain - the only way you get the experience is to experience the wet road and two wheels. Go slow until you build up your confidence.

Wet cold and hungry is not so bad AFTER its over.

#22 ·
Motomadman said:
Just move to Southern California after all it never rains here according to the song.....
Just means the bad stuff builds up longer and the first rain of a season is a real killer. Contrary to the popular stereotype we don't all forget how to drive when it rains, it is really slick out on the road until it is washed down for several hours of a good hard rain. OK, the stereotype is mostly true, it just doesn't apply to me :) Every climate has it's challenges, try not to underestimate it. Be careful out there!

#23 ·
Sunny Southern Nevada

You could move to So. Nevada... is NEVER rains here.... Although it is raining right now.. very weird--- it's California's fault.
Always remember that when it rains people are stupid. Not us.. The cagers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.