Does this count as a big girl nap or no? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Does this count as a big girl nap or no?

So for years I have been reading about fellow LT owners losing their balance in a parking lot, gas station, intersections and the like. Up until now I have never dropped it or had it on its side and I am wondering does this count as a drop or an accident?
Here is what happened:
I was driving into a campground with my wife in tow on her bike and there is a series of large speed bumps in the road. The first three I went around the right side end of them and when I went to go around the last one I hit pure slip ass grease mud on top of hard dirt. It was like someone soaked the first layer of clay and the rest was hard underneath.. There was NO chance of staying up on any bike with this crap under the tire. The bike disappeared so fast under me I didnt even have time to fall with it. I was riding it one second and the next .002 seconds I was standing in the road next to the bike wondering what the hell... OH no what is my bike doing on the ground?!!!" It simply snapped to the ground in less than a blink of an eye. I was completely unhurt and did not fall down. I didnt even have time to be surprised!
So is this an "oh crap its going over" drop? Or could I consider this just an accident?

BTW my mirrors stayed on due to my bolting them on!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Re: Does this count as a big girl nap or no?

Yes.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #3 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Call it an accident caused by the ground. Like you said, you never before dropped it and you still haven't. JK it was at low speed, so its a slow speed fall.

post #4 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Accident..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #5 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Nope, it's a drop - sorry. I was doing some off-roading on my LT when I dropped it because I caught the center stand on the crest of a hill that got a bit steeper than I expected and same thing, down in a flash, but a drop none the less.

The bottom line is that it was a loss of control, caused by whatever. I don't really think it's an accident unless there is another living entity influencing events. Kinda stings doesn't it - the pride that is...

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #6 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 7:45 pm

add one more member. He's lost his virginity but joined a 1st class group!

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #7 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Nope, it's a drop - sorry. I was doing some off-roading on my LT when I dropped it because I caught the center stand on the crest of a hill that got a bit steeper than I expected and same thing, down in a flash, but a drop none the less.

The bottom line is that it was a loss of control, caused by whatever. I don't really think it's an accident unless there is another living entity influencing events. Kinda stings doesn't it - the pride that is...
So by this logic, everyone that has gone off the road or low/high sided due to speed, gravel, wet pavement etc, their bike has decided to take a nappy-poo? I personally believe it to be an accident. Does it hurt my pride... not even a little bit either way. We all know that $h1T happens no matter how you drive. The only way to avoid it is to not drive and that is not an option! I think your case was different. You crested a hill and had one of those oh S moments. Mine, it was just like hitting black ice. NO WAY you are going to stay vertical! I would like to know more about your crash since it does not make sense to me. Were you traveling at high speed in reverse? THAT would truly be impressive!!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #8 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 7:47 pm

It's a drop!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #9 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Just dropped mine last week for the first time. Had the bike for 7 years! My wife's uncle asked, "Ever crashed it, or dropped it?" I told him nope, as we left his house. 10 minutes later, stopped for gas, and down she went! Didn't get the kickstand engaged (it was in gear too).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 7:59 pm
cws

Garage

It's a WTF moment... an "incident"
not really an accident, although if you had to make a claim for damage in the eyes of insurers you would be the one at fault and it would be called an accident: no other vehicle involved.
The incident resulted in a drop, hopefully with no damage.

I think a "nap" is when its at rest, either sitting on it or when parked on sidestand or centrestand... you lose your footing or something else happens that makes the fat German lay down, like a wind gust, someone backs into with their cage, etc.

I've had a couple of incident's (including one classed as an accident), a couple of naps, and some near-accidents... usually its not the near-accidents that make the bike go down as you are still have some measure of control.

Don't know about bolting the mirrors on though Kirk.. isn't that likely to cause more damage to the support plastic if they get a decent knock?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Anytime it goes horizontal and you are in the vacinity for what ever reason it is a drop. Sooner later it gets us all.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #12 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 8:23 pm

WTH? No picture?
post #13 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Oh dont you worry. There ARE pictures! My A-hole friend Doug was hot on the camera, laughing his a$$ off! just like I would be if it was him! I love it! I will post them as soon as I can. Promise!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #14 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 9:29 pm

It is just a Plain A$$ Drop;do no make excuses(attempt to lessen the blame)

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #15 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 11:07 pm

I have two LT's and I have no idea what you are talking about

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #16 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 1:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
So by this logic, everyone that has gone off the road or low/high sided due to speed, gravel, wet pavement etc, their bike has decided to take a nappy-poo? I personally believe it to be an accident. Does it hurt my pride... not even a little bit either way. We all know that $h1T happens no matter how you drive. The only way to avoid it is to not drive and that is not an option! I think your case was different. You crested a hill and had one of those oh S moments. Mine, it was just like hitting black ice. NO WAY you are going to stay vertical! I would like to know more about your crash since it does not make sense to me. Were you traveling at high speed in reverse? THAT would truly be impressive!!
I was going forward not in reverse, in a place an LT should not go. I was heading up a steep hill on a trail out of a campsite back in the woods and could not see over the crest of the hill, but I knew there was an immediate tight turn at the top onto the narrow forest fire trail. Well, as luck would have it I picked the spot to come up where there was a rut in the fire access road at the top of the hill, got to the crest and the front wheel dropped down into the rut, the left foot of my center stand dug into the dirt and the combination of low-speed, and added drag on the left undercarriage pulled me right down.

Three lessons learned on that little spill:
1. The LT is not well suited for off-road trail riding, it just doesn't have enough clearance.
2. Don't get to a campsite after dark unless it is a maintained roadway.
3. If you can't see over the hill, get off and walk it first to see where you have the best chance of success.

I swear, it wasn't that steep when I came in the night before!

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #17 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 6:39 am

The transition from vertical to horizontal is instantaneous. She's big, heavy and gravity never fails!
post #18 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Here is the visual evidence! My wife on the left and I am standing there staring at it in disbelief! The guy in the middle was riding an LT Trike so it is unlikely he was going to have a problem....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0062.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	40049  

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #19 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 8:41 am

How tragic. seeing the ol' girl lying there-helpless-and no one offering to pick her up to reduce the embarrassment. what a shame.

it's the 5 MPH fault!! if it had been 10 MPH that might not have happened!!

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #20 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 8:52 am Thread Starter

OH THE SHAME!!!.... ok not really. But now that you mention it, the 5 mph sign may have played a part in this horrific tragedy....

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #21 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Accident.

Dropping it is only due to inattention. Anyone would have gone down on any bike in those circumstances.

My two LT's have been over twice: both accidents.

1. Once due to getting high centered on the skid plate in the middle of a dirt two track on the way to a camp site.

2. The other was a blow over in Utah right after I got an award by the State Police for a VERY high performance achievement (well over 20mph...). It was my birthday so the cop tore up the ticket! ...about $300.00 in plastic damage.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #22 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Looking at the picture. Do I see two marks? One on the left, front tire, and one on the right, rear tire?
If that were so, the angle of the rear track might suggest a rear wheel acceleration. That would put you down in a heartbeat. Angle of the bike's resting position also suggests over acceleration.
Did the rear tire go first, or can you remember?
post #23 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Most likely I did hit the gas when it slid out from under me but the front tire did slide out first. It was a bad place to be for sure.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #24 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Great luck in it being mud and not paint destroying pavement.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #25 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 8:37 pm

At least it didn't sling you under the workbench. (ouch)

53 MPG and life just keeps getting better

2001 Triumph Sprint ST [sold]
2000 K1200LT 'Nimitz'
post #26 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Man. That is a sad picture. It almost made ME cry. It's a drop. Went to the ground at less than 50 mph. Ergo, a drop.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #27 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
Oh dont you worry. There ARE pictures! My A-hole friend Doug was hot on the camera, laughing his a$$ off! just like I would be if it was him! I love it! I will post them as soon as I can. Promise!

What are good friends for?

Welcome the DA Club!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #28 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 10:10 pm

I got to ask. Why would you even bother going around those tiny speed bumps?
post #29 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 10:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Does this count as a big girl nap or no?

Sorry, this was not an "oops," "woopsie," or a "my bad," it's an accident!

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #30 of 39 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 12:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaltyn
I got to ask. Why would you even bother going around those tiny speed bumps?
Skid plate contact. It happens more than you can ever imagine...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #31 of 39 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 3:15 am

Cool Re: Does this count as a big girl nap or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Skid plate contact. It happens more than you can ever imagine...
And if you bump hard enough it can break the casting of the Gearbox which that Skidplate is bolted to! Not good! I go around them whenever it is feasable.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #32 of 39 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 8:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've done the same, on grass, where the LT isn't supposed to go. Same goes for gravel. I considered mine a drop since I didn't control the LT where it shouldn't have been. No accident, your choice and the picture verifies where you were. My total below includes the drop-in-the-park. As others have said, you in really good company now.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #33 of 39 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 9:09 am

After seeing the photo, I say this one doesn't count against you. This was obviously a case of the LT rebelling against a 5mph speed limit.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #34 of 39 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:28 am

I agree with the above post regarding the oil as causing an accident. If you had been going 30 on the road or 60 on the highway and hit oil, few would say you dropped your bike. On the other hand, if you were maneuvering slowly in a parking lot and lost control on your own (i.e. no oil), few would likely say accident. Here, there was an external cause unknown to you beforehand and unexpected, that no one would likely have been able to get past without going down. Therefore, accident. You are absolved, my son.

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #35 of 39 Old Aug 30th, 2013, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

I went around the bump simply because I could and I really dont relish bottoming out on them. The mud was unexpected. After that happened we had the campground place a cone there so no one else would relive my experience and thankfully no one did.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #36 of 39 Old Aug 31st, 2013, 11:47 am

When riding a lot I park my LT on the front walk just for easy access vs. parking in the old garage out back and all the maneuvering involved. There is about twelve foot strip of grass between the driveway and the walk. One winter day I went out, jumped on the LT and went off for about a two hour ride. There was plenty of moisture in the ground, but we had a pretty good freeze the night before. Of course the ground was frozen when I took off, but had thawed when I got back. And of course the wife just happened to come out the front door as I was approaching the sidewalk. The yard had turned to snot and just as soon as I tapped the rear brake we slide into home. My wife looks at me like 'wtf', but she doesn't cuss...well, there's been a couple of times...because of me, I guess. Anyway, fortunately for me it was mud, so no scratches, and the wheels were over the sidewalk, so getting it back up wasn't much of a chore. She says how many drops is that? Like she had been reading the board or something. I very humbly say, FOUR. But none in the last three years. You just never know when one can sneak up on ya....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #37 of 39 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 4:30 pm

Kirk, thought I would post this up in the hopes that you'll feel a bit better about dropping your bike, then being taken unfair advantage of by those unsympathetic riders with cameras willing to kick you when you're already down.
This happens to be my son-in-law. He was trying to clear a snow bank, and obviously failed. I hollered to him to see if he was OK. He mumbled something unintelligible into the snow bank, which I mistakenly took as him being just fine. So, out comes the camera, and thus this shot. As it turns out, he was not expressing his condition of comfort, but rather that he was stuck, face down, and pinned by his bike. Who knew?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	961.6 KB
ID:	40274  
post #38 of 39 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 4:55 pm

Frank what a horrible thing to do. Let you SIL suffer like that. Did you eventually help or just wait for the melting?

Muffle muffle.

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #39 of 39 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycamel
Frank what a horrible thing to do. Let you SIL suffer like that. Did you eventually help or just wait for the melting?

Muffle muffle.
To tell the truth, were it not for my daughter, I'd have left him there for the spring thaw. What's a dad to do?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in