Gear oil change. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Gear oil change.

I would like to change oil in the gear box. However the bolt placed at the bottom of the gear box is very hard to remove. Has it been over tighten in the past? do I need a torque ranch to remove... Any help or advise on how to do this, please advice. Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 8:59 am

Re: Gear oil change.

make sure you are trying to turn right direction easy to get mixed up when it is on the bottom
I have gotten over zealous at times, have had to use a pipe on the allen key, apply pressure to undo while pushing up with other hand on allen key then give a hard pull to snap it loose - you could do the same thing with a torque wrench and socket allen but torque wrenches are by nature springy

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:25 am

assuming you're talking about the transmission and not final drive, make ABSOLUTELY sure you have the right size allen wrench, seat it fully, and slip a pipe over the free end if you have it, tap on it with a hammer until it frees up (lefty loosey, righty tighty as the saying goes). Someone before you probably over-tightened it, it'll come free.

I've never heard of anyone using a torque wrench to loosen a locked-up bolt (unless they are too lazy to switch the socket to a regular ratchet). But use one if you can when you tighten the thing back on to make sure you're at proper torque (my manual says 55nm for that one)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman56
I would like to change oil in the gear box. However the bolt placed at the bottom of the gear box is very hard to remove. Has it been over tighten in the past? do I need a torque ranch to remove... Any help or advise on how to do this, please advice. Thank you so much.
I have changed it several times and the biggest issue for me was to get access to the bolt, as my bike has the hydraulic center stand that needs to be removed for a better access. The bolt moves after a few gentle taps on the allen wrench with a hammer. Just make sure you're tapping it in the right direction - this thing is upside down, so it's easy to mix-up directions.

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Since I didn't have a short 14mm Allen Key and they were not easy to come by after hours, I purchased a 3/8" bolt, 1" length in Grade 8 with two nuts. Tighten the nuts against each other on the bolt and use Loctite if you have. They need to be really tight. Slip a ring spanner over the bolt head and onto the inner nut. The bolt head then goes into the transmission drain plug, and you can tap on the open end of the wrench to loosen the plug. This makes for a short tool and I've used it with success on several transmission plugs. The idea is not to put torque on the plug to loosen it, but rather a jolt. Make sure of the direction though!

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:36 pm
Sit

Allen wrench? Due to my center stand and limited access, I use a spanner nut, for get the size, fits in nice and tight, put a box end wrench on it and have at it. As for torque putting it back in, well yeah, just make it tight.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 5:08 pm

The EHCS does NOT need to be removed, but you do need to move the exhaust hanger out of the way.

I took a 14mm allen wrench and cut off the appropriate amount of it to fit into the drain plug recess and grip with a ratcheting box wrench. Much more compact than a hex socket and does a great job. The first one I hacked off with a Dremel cutoff wheel, but my current one is much prettier.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 11 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 2:45 pm

I bought a 14 MM hex key socket at harbor freight. drove the key out of the socket with a cold chisel. I turn the hex key with a 14 mm closed end wrench. works great. you can use a short pipe to increase leverage if you need to. I do remove the exhaust hanger extension. It is only two bolts and it makes it easier to place a plastic sheet to direct the gear oil flow to the drain pan.

Good luck
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman56
do I need a torque ranch to remove...
No you don't. And just FYI you shouldn't use a ratchet torque wrench to remove anything - it can mess up the calibration of the wrench. Yes I know many allow you to reverse the ratchet but its not good for them.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 11:47 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

What year is your LT?

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2013, 6:33 am

I did it yesterday, 14mm allen socket, short extension,1/2 inch drive with a breaker bar, dont use torque wrench this is just for tightining, as said before apply a bit of pressure then a jolt, this should do it, good luck. you can buy individual allen sockets at you local tool store
cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in