Questions about removing rear caliper - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 9:08 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mobile, AL, USA
Posts: 60
Questions about removing rear caliper

2002 LTC - 65K miles

Like another poster this evening, I'm having trouble with a sticking rear caliper causing some greater than normal drag on the rotor. But, mine will not release with a few pumps of the front brake lever, as his will. So, I will remove the caliper and either rebuild or replace it.

I've read the integral brake instructions in the service manual for removing the rear caliper and have a couple of questions.

The manual (page 34.28) says one of the first steps is to bleed the front wheel circuit. Is this necessary? Is the rear wheel circuit not separate from the front wheel circuit?

I need to remove the ABS sensor, and the manual (page 34.31) says to first clean the ABS sensor and bore. But, it does not say how. Just wipe with a clean rag, or what?

Thanks,
Ken
kend52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:48 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,269
Re: Questions about removing rear caliper

Page 34.28 is for the front calipers on a 99-2001.
Page 34.32 top right is for the rear caliper on a 2002.

Page 34.35 is for the rear sensor in the 2002 section (all rear calipers and sensors are the same for all years). Yes just wipe off any dirt or metal particles.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 9:26 am
Member
 
tombstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Posts: 49
Re: Questions about removing rear caliper

Not sure if it is different to the 2000/2001 caliper but when I had problems with mine sticking (just enough to rub, not lock up) I pulled the pads out, put in a bit of wood that was about 2mm thinner and then applied the brakes (engine NOT running), this pushed the pistons out a little further than normal, I then removed the wood and the caliper, leaving the pipework attached.
It was then easy to see that there was a ring of hard crud around where the seals had been sitting. careful use of brake cleaner and somebody else's toothbrush soon had it good as new.
You then need to squeeze the pistons back in just enough to be able to refit the pads and problem solved.

2001 K1200LT Bought Nov 2011
1963 Norton Electra 400
1960 Norton Navigator Delux 350
1977 Norton Commando 850 MkIII, owned since new.
tombstone is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 1:49 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 978
Re: Questions about removing rear caliper

the rubber o rings (seals) the pistons run in also harden with age and if you are very carefull you can split the calipers remove the plastic pistons and replace the o rings - the pistons will then move as new - I did that with both my K100 and K1100 - the o rings are cheap - it's time to do the ones on my LT this winter

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
gary45 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:30 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mobile, AL, USA
Posts: 60
Re: Questions about removing rear caliper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Page 34.28 is for the front calipers on a 99-2001.
Page 34.32 top right is for the rear caliper on a 2002.

Page 34.35 is for the rear sensor in the 2002 section (all rear calipers and sensors are the same for all years). Yes just wipe off any dirt or metal particles.

Well, it appears the service manual version I have is an early version, since my page numbers don't line up with yours, John. It came with my bike when I bought it last May. Probably a good idea for me to buy the latest service manual. I found part number 01 79 0 309 672. Is that the correct part number?

Thanks,
Ken
kend52 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:33 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mobile, AL, USA
Posts: 60
Re: Questions about removing rear caliper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone
Not sure if it is different to the 2000/2001 caliper but when I had problems with mine sticking (just enough to rub, not lock up) I pulled the pads out, put in a bit of wood that was about 2mm thinner and then applied the brakes (engine NOT running), this pushed the pistons out a little further than normal, I then removed the wood and the caliper, leaving the pipework attached.
It was then easy to see that there was a ring of hard crud around where the seals had been sitting. careful use of brake cleaner and somebody else's toothbrush soon had it good as new.
You then need to squeeze the pistons back in just enough to be able to refit the pads and problem solved.
Great idea! Think I'll try that before rebuilding the caliper.

Thanks,
Ken
kend52 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:39 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mobile, AL, USA
Posts: 60
Re: Questions about removing rear caliper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
the rubber o rings (seals) the pistons run in also harden with age and if you are very carefull you can split the calipers remove the plastic pistons and replace the o rings - the pistons will then move as new - I did that with both my K100 and K1100 - the o rings are cheap - it's time to do the ones on my LT this winter
That's where I'm headed if I'm unsuccessful cleaning the crud off the pistons. I've rebuilt airhead calipers, so it's good to hear from someone who has successfully rebuilt an LT caliper.

Thanks,
Ken
kend52 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 12:19 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,269
Re: Questions about removing rear caliper

You could be right. My manual does not show a PN but has a print dates of 02/02. My CD is 2,000 miles away and I am using the copy on my laptop. But to answer the real question you should not have to do anything special to remove the caliper and the bleed after you re-install is pretty simple as well. Fluid will run out of the hose if you do not plug it with something.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1100RT Rear Caliper brake pad retaining pin? biometrics RT Series 9 Oct 17th, 2012 10:58 am
Removing and replacing rear wheel pathy RT Series 6 Oct 6th, 2012 7:24 pm
LT rear speakers come on initially and then cuts out joseph_p K1200LT 10 Apr 29th, 2010 8:27 pm
Removing rear side luggage hd2bmw K1200LT 8 Nov 1st, 2007 5:15 pm
Rear END????? kip K1200LT 13 May 24th, 2006 9:32 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome