Georgia Area - GS911 Reader - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Georgia Area - GS911 Reader

Hello, my 2006 LT (25K miles) is having ABS/Power brake problems. I have the solid red triangle and flashing (quickly) Brake Failure sign. Ever now and then it will work for a short while, but then stop again.

I have done a complete flush and fill, checked the battery, etc. I was wondering if anyone near Augusta, GA has a GS911 reader that I could use if I came to your location. I spoke to Tyler at ModuleMaster today and he hopes to have the rebuild process working on our ABS3 modules by Dec, but mentioned if I could get a read out from the computer, that he might be able to help me diagnose the problem before Dec.

My nearest shop is 2 hours away (Touring Sport in Greenville, SC) and I'm not opposed to going there instead (heard the shop reader gives more info that the GS-911), but just thought I'd see if anyone was closer than that before deciding.

Thanks for the time.

Sammy
Augusta, GA area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:38 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Georgia Area - GS911 Reader

Sounds like one of your circuits is failing. if a flush did not help I am afraid your unit is on the way out. There is nothing a GS-911 (or the dealers computer) can do to remedy that failure, they will help confirm the issue.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Thank you John. I appreciate your wisdom. I think it is the rear circuit. That is the one that fails first and causes the first to stop working afterwards. I now have to decide to either wait for ModuleMaster to get their rebuild process working, or try to by-pass the whole system like the guy Chris from NH (BMW mech) does. I understand he is working on videos for the LT and might have them ready in Sept. I sent him an email to confirm over the weekend, but his shop is closed until today. We'll see what he says.

Have a great day.

Sammy

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 10:34 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

While it is your choice to bypass. Yesterday I would not have wanted a bypassed system. I was coming down a hill at about 65 and a deer jumped out in front of us. Two up pulling a fully loaded Bustech trailer. I heard the tires screaming as I hauled the old girl down with maximum brake force. Missed the deer but I don't think I could have done it without those ABS brakes. You just never know when you will need them. Just sayin'.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 11:07 am

I think there has to be a distinction made between POWER brakes and ABS. ABS does not shorten stopping distance and it can allow you to maintain control by extending stopping distance - ABS works the same way as releasing the brake pedal/lever and re applying it quickly. If you can live without ABS the only question is - on the power brake systems is the size ratio of the master cylinder piston to caliper piston the same so that you can exert the same hydrualic force on the brake pads once you eliminate the system. I am amazed how fast my 2K without power brakes stops without getting the front tire howling.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Garage

Sammy,

I can sympathize with you having to face replacing your ABS unit. The same situation happened to me, as well as, many other K1200LT riders. It is costly and time consuming, not to mention a huge disappointment, (BMW engineers?) to replace the entire ABS unit on a bike that you would expect to have some serviceable parts.

I strongly recommend that you do not ride your LT without the ABS unit functioning within specifications, and I agree wholeheartedly with John that you need the margin of safety, not only for you, but for your passenger and other motorists.

Reality check for you and others considering riding their LT's without the BS unit functioning. The BMW engineers designed all the K1200LT's (to my knowledge) to have ABS braking systems as standard equipment. You and I may think that it is a nice option put into the LT in order to sell more LTís, that might be true. What is more important is what a jury and judge and your insurance company will determine when they are informed your ABS unit was not working at the time of the accident, that it was standard equipment, and that it improves the stopping performance of one of the heavier motorcycles on the road. The outcome will be most likely that your insurance company will not pay for damages to your vehicle and to any injured parties, whether or not you caused the accident. You stand a chance of losing everything you ever worked for. Sammy and others, also consider this, by discussing your intention to bypass the ABS braking system on this forum you have informed the public of your potential actions, lawyers would say that this is "discoverable evidence" which may be used against you.

I hope that no one is ever it hurt by the absence of a working ABS unit. You can argue that what I have mentioned here is very extreme and most unlikely - it's possible. Food for thought. I replaced my ABS unit, I didn't like doing it- annoyed as, well, you know @@##**. Replace it. Ride with peace of mind. Forget about it. Just ride it.

Currently owned,
1966 R50
2000 K LT
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. Great food for thought and many valid points. Will keep it all under advisement as I progress along the journey.

Sounds like a replacement or possibly a rebuild may be the best options. ModuleMaster stated a rebuild will be in the $400-450 range most likely.

Sammy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in