Style And Grace - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Style And Grace

I've been riding bikes for more than 30 years have taken 2 advanced rider courses and have owned about 15 different motorcycles. Why is it when I bring this beast to a stop, sometimes It's as clumsy as me tring to walk in my wifes stelleto heels. I mean not exactly gracefull. Lets say 1 stop in 10 just isn't with style and grace. Ok , I'm only 5'8" tall with 30" inseam and refuse to lower the seat. But after 15000 miles on this bike I'd expect to have this top heavy beast tamed.
Anybody else have this issue or just me? Any pointers or input would be appreciated.

The beatings will continue untill morale improves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:39 pm

Hey Terry, keep your head up, don't look down, keep the front wheel straight and don't use the front brake the last few feet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:40 pm

Smile Top case

IMO, remove the top case for a bit. Did this meself today, and discovered a new motorbike! I am no longer interested in trading off my '03 LT.

What, thirty pounds or so?? I'm just a noob though, this is bike sixty eight in my forty four years......

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:00 pm

I'm 5"7", also with a 30" inseam.

Staring straight ahead -- in particular, focusing out *far* way (i.e., toward the horizon) -- will do wonders for stablility.

The other thing I do is always keep my right foot over the rear brake, so I have complete control over forward motion, and to avoid the need for sharp motions at the front brake lever. If I feel like I may have to put my right foot down as I come to a stop, a slight counter steer to the left (bars turned ever so slightly to the right) shifts my balance back to the left.
HTH,

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:02 pm

I have to admit that every once in a while I feel like this is my first time on my bike and I wonder what the heck is going on. In fact, the other day I pulled out from the BMW Dealership and just about lost it at the stop sign, blasted the horn instead of the turn signal just in case they weren't already watching me flounder. I can say you have to pay attention, and when I do and roll to a stop, stay off the front brake, press gently on the rear brake and put my left foot down I feel pretty graceful. I guess I'm saying I feel your pain.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:21 pm

I do this also and feel like a fool sometimes, I figure another 40 years of riding and I'll figure it out.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:56 pm

The advice so far seems good, and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it over time. What I'm really curious about is why you're running around in your wife's Stilletos??

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 5:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrandsan1200
I've been riding bikes for more than 30 years have taken 2 advanced rider courses and have owned about 15 different motorcycles. Why is it when I bring this beast to a stop, sometimes It's as clumsy as me tring to walk in my wifes stelleto heels. I mean not exactly gracefull. Lets say 1 stop in 10 just isn't with style and grace. Ok , I'm only 5'8" tall with 30" inseam and refuse to lower the seat. But after 15000 miles on this bike I'd expect to have this top heavy beast tamed.
Anybody else have this issue or just me? Any pointers or input would be appreciated.
First of all, TMI about you & your wife's stelleto's . As for the style & grace with a motorcycle part, after 30+ years on motorcycles I'd expect you to be less concerned with profiling. If you aren't, this bike will get you there. I have over 40 years & this is the most difficult bike to master yet. There are times when nobody looks good wrestling 800 lbs. As long as it's not layin' on it's side with you trapped under it, quit worring about appearances & enjoy the ride. You'll get more graceful with time, but you'll never be perfect...'Specially if you're still in your wife's stelleto's..........8^)

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 5:59 am

Wink

I see the problem here. Leave the wife's shoes at home and wear someting a little more masculine and all will be fine.

Just kidding.

I've got short legs too and feel your pain.

The suggestions and advice previouly posted are all good. Get on it and ride, it will get better, did for me, even though there will still be akward moments.
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 6:44 am

Style And Grace

I've found that I need to "pick" my stopping point and then stop decisively. Coasting up to a car in front of me tends to make for a pretty unstable stop. As others have said, heads up and eyes forward are important.
bob
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 6:48 am

Quote:
Sometimes when I come to a stop, I find I am not quite as vertical as I'd like to be. A tiny flick of the handlebars in the correct direction will right the bike just as I come to a complete stop.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 6:48 am

Red face Don't put your feet down before you have stopped

Quote:
As LT is my first own bike I can not brag about years of experience with motorcycles. So the above described situations happened to me also. I have found the following technique to be very helpful:

I never put my feet on the ground before the bike has completely stopped. I only use hand brake and I always stop the bike firmly and put my both feet on the ground simultaneously on the very moment that the bike halts. This way I don't need to be tripping on my toes next to the bike. If I happen to have stopped in uphill, I lean on my left foot and use the foot brake to hold the bike. This is actually the only time I use the right pedal.

I don't know if this method is actually "by the book" but now after riding for two seasons and about 31000 km I have no longer difficulties bringing the bike to a stop "with style and grace".

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in