What five questions should I ask the dealership? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Cool What five questions should I ask the dealership?

I am not an owner yet, but looking at a 2006 K1200 LT. Found this website and it's wealth of information while looking for reviews...thanks to all of you. I have a simple question...before I buy, what five questions should I ask the dealer that would give me the most information about this model and specific motorcycle?

Knowing what you know about your bike, what would you ask and why?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 5:08 pm
Super Moderator

Re: What five questions should I ask the dealership?

1. Service history?
Obvious - pending mileage anbd issues a ton of technical questions will ensue.

2. Can they arrange for an after market Warranty?
Always trying to get a warranty - unless you are a wrench.
Three types of riders here:
- ones that drop the bike off at the dealer, don't wine and rarely post
- ones that drop the bike off at the dealer, wine and post all the time
- ones that the dealer never sees the bike (me) and posts how to fix and cope !!

3. How long can I take the bike for a test ride . . .
BMW renowned for letting customers ride the bike

4. Can you arrange financing from BMW
First BMW K1200LT I bought with BMW financing was 0.9% (free money practically)
their rates often beat credits unions - if your paying cash - never mind.

5. Are the rims within specification ?
Bought a used 2010 BMW from a BMW dealer only to discover that it had a bent front
rim 6 months later - hard to detect unless you lift the bike up and spin the wheel.

6. What discounts can you get for apparel?
Obvious - unless you are already outfitted!!

I am sure others will pop in for more technical issues

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Any oil leak evidence at all on the engine or transmission, ask if the dealer will do a complete clutch replacement, seal replacement and while they are in there slave replacement for free, or will they drop the price by whatever they quote to fix those problems. (about $2600 now)

If not run away from the bike as fast as you can.

Do not take their word for it, get on the floor with a mirror and a very good flashlight.

Honestly, asking them questions is limited, they will not tell you about any problems the bike has. I ran away from a 2005 LT in a dealer here that needed from what I could easily tally up about $4500 in repairs. They begged me to make an offer and I refused to even offer an insulting price because you could tell it was not maintained. (it had a ton of dirt under the seat and looked like it was stored under a tree without a cover) Dealer was asking $9600 for it.

Note: there are a LOT of used LT's out there, expand your search to a 400 miles out or more. I found an awesome like new one 450 miles away and had the best ride of my life riding it back home.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC

Last edited by timgray; Aug 26th, 2013 at 7:11 pm.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 7:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning01
I am not an owner yet, but looking at a 2006 K1200 LT. Found this website and it's wealth of information while looking for reviews...thanks to all of you. I have a simple question...before I buy, what five questions should I ask the dealer that would give me the most information about this model and specific motorcycle?

Knowing what you know about your bike, what would you ask and why?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Ask them how they will respond if you do much of your own work and want to bring in a part which requires an operation with a special tool. I was installing a CB several years ago and needed a connector pin removed fom the radio. This required a pin extractor size I could not find locally. I called my dealer to make an appointment to bring in the radio to have the pin removed and the service manager told me to go buy my own special BMW tools like he had to if I wanted to do my own work.

Haven't been back there since.

If you don't plan to do your own work, then this isn't relevant. However, you will then need a very fat wallet.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: What five questions should I ask the dealership?

Great responses all, thanks much. Hoping they have the full service record, since it was a local bike.

I've pretty much zeroed in on this model, and want to purchase between now and next Spring, so I've got time if this one isn't the "one."

Anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks again,
Bob
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 9:45 pm
cws

Garage

some simple things to check yourself, other than asking a stealer...

- check whether the locking pins in the trunk are cut through (or partly cut).. shows overloaded pressure on closing the trunk lid... which could lead to the next item
- check the trunk locking mechanism isn't cracked at either of the top corners (there's a fix, but like always $$$)
- check under the seat that the rear suspension adjuster moves freely to add or remove pre-load. Depending on k's on bike, might be nearing replacing the shocks or at least springs to get a good ride.
- check that the EHCS (electric centrestand) works as expected, ie, will lift the bike freely when not touching the brakes... if it hesitates at all it probably needs a new motor (cheap fix) or at worst an overhaul and new oil... dealers wont do this.
- check if the rear brake rotor is clanging and very loose
- check the fairings around dash. particularly at the edges near the mirrors, for cracks
- check if the mirrors are "tethered" internally with zip-ties or some sort of tie-line... you won't know unless you "pop" them off.
- as mentioned above, check both wheels spin freely with no wobble... otherwise could be a bent rim
- check if the seat is comfortable for you.. many replace it with an aftermarket recover for comfort to get the best mileage pleasure from the bike
- 2006 will already have Xenon headlamp for low beam

Thats a few... probably a miriad of other "little things" that can add up costs..

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:13 am

Above list very inclusive
check tires, rear runs abt 180 plus installing it.
How soon will the shockss need to be replaced--parts are over $1,100 and tons of labour.
when is the next major service
Inspect very carefully the joint between the bell housing an engine--NO signs of seepage!
Many times one of the arms that raises and lowers the windshield needs to be replaced after the bike is dropped. the windshield is designed to pop out of the arm; sometimes the tabe that keeps it in place gets broken. You cannot buy a replacment arm, rather entire assembly with the motor!!!

Ask if the have a dental plan to cover all of the bugs squashed into ur teeth from the big grin when u ride.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:25 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Ask if the have a dental plan to cover all of the bugs squashed into ur teeth from the big grin when u ride.

bob

I like that...

...except we don't get no bugs in our teeth... well, very rarely anyway. love that windshield.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 8:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If the bike has been dealer serviced there are records that can be accessed via the VIN #.
Ask the dealer to run the service history.
I believe that any dealer can access the records if the VIn is provided.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone...will be back once I meet the bike...

Bob
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm

It would probably help to know what you plan to do with your bike. Are you willing and able to work on it yourself? Or are you going to depend on the dealer or other tech?

If you were going to depend on the dealer for service and repair, I'd really lean toward a warranty of some sort. I also wonder if you could get the dealer to offer you some sort of "limited" warranty so that you won't be surprised by a failing clutch or final drive immediately after the purchase. Would the dealer be willing to offer you, say, 30 days of riding and stand behind anything you might find in that initial period? Probably not, but wouldn't hurt to ask

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in