Reflective Decals - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Reflective Decals

Back in 2005 we were riding where we usually never do... on an interstate through a city. It was on the way back from Alaska and we were trying to get through Salt Lake City to find a place to stop, after dark. It was the scariest ride of my life. Lots of construction, and Doug was ahead of me and almost invisable in the profusion of lights all around. I kept tapping my brake to signal those behind me, and man!, was it uncomfortable. When we got back I pulled out some reflective stickers from my sailing days... these are 2" x 4" SOLAS stickers that are usually put on lifejackets and the like to make someone visible in the water. I put 4 on each side of my RT paniers and they light me up now, when ahead of lights at night. Here is something similar: http://www.reflectivedecals.com/saddle.htm#Kbags . I think everyone should consider these...

1970 BSA 441
1979 Yamaha 350 Exciter
1952 Ariel 350 Red Hunter
1946 Ariel 500 Red Hunter
1949 Velocette 350
1950 AJS 500
2001 Harley Softtail
2004 BMW R1150rt
2006 883 Sportster
2007 Vstar 1100

another 2004 RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1969 Moto Guzzi 750
1970 Moto Guzzi 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 7:58 am

Re: Reflective Decals

I also added a strip of 3m ultra reflective tape to the back of my helmet. when my wife followed me home from picking up my LT 2 months ago she said it was the brightest thing on the road and really got attention

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 8:33 am

I also used Solas tape on my LT. One thing some may want to know about Solas though, it is also a HIGHLY EFFICIENT RADAR REFLECTOR! It is designed for marine use, approved by the Coast Guard, and can be picked up by radar for search and rescue purposes. Doubt if your local LEO using radar is interested in rescuing you though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 9:01 am

I put those white refelctive decals on the rear, only lower half of my bags for nighttime, and I also put a large square of highly reflective 3M yellow above that. I figure that would be good for daytime visibility too. The yellow really stands out from the dark rear end of the bike in daytime, and it is also reflective for the nighttime.

I would take a photo if the RT wasn't at the dealer's for a EWS failure!

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:44 am

Indeed, these are the bomb! The come in reflective black, white, yellow or red, and will set you back about $55 for the whole set. Got the black ones for the rear of my grey LT, and they are wonderful. Understated during the day and WOW! at night. Highly recommended.

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/LT2.htm

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 8:53 pm

I have little bits and pces. all over my bike along with reflective stickers I have collected over the years. I figure it might hurt resale, but don't expect anyone to want it when I am done with her anyway. On way home from town just last week, there was a bike in front of us. I pointed out to my wife how the little tail light disappears in the tail lights and headlights. The scary part was how it blended in with the car that was way ahead of us so the distance between us and the bike disappeared. We where way, almost four to five times closer to bike than we were the next car. The rider was in all black also.

It's not what you ride, it's where you ride to eat!
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I also used Solas tape on my LT. One thing some may want to know about Solas though, it is also a HIGHLY EFFICIENT RADAR REFLECTOR! It is designed for marine use, approved by the Coast Guard, and can be picked up by radar for search and rescue purposes. Doubt if your local LEO using radar is interested in rescuing you though.
Actually it is not a good radar target at all. That is a myth that has been floating around for years. There is no metal in it, only glass beads which are RF transparent. SOLAS tape is an optical reflector only. In actual fact, the current batch of K band police radars see the largest target moving relative to the radar set to develop a doppler shift and calculate your speed. There is plenty of reflective surface on most motorcycles giving a much better target (radar cross section) than a piece of plastic solas grade reflective tape. If you are talking about LIDAR (Laser radar) it probably gives a very bright target to the laser since the SOLAS tape reflects something greater than 90% of the light back to the LIDAR set.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 6:20 am

I never see Lidar guns used at traffic that has passed only oncoming traffic, so just dont put reflectors on the front of the bike.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in