Fell Over, Won't Start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Fell Over, Won't Start

I got my bike back as salvage today after it fell off of my trailer. The damage is pretty minimal and mostly cosmetic. The only mechanical damage was a broken rear brake line. The bike was not running when it suffered the damage. The bike is not starting. All the correct dash lights light up but I am not getting the fuel pump pressurizing noise and the engine isn't turning over. Is there some kind of tip over sensor that needs to be reset? Is there something in the ABS controller that won't let it start if one of the brake circuits is comprimised? Any other ideas?

All responses will be very appreciated.

Later......................Gregg

BMW K1200LTC......TOTALED
Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
Kawasaki Vulcan
Polaris Sportsman
Allegro class "A"
A Couple of Trailers
A Few Fords
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:48 pm

The bike starter won't turn if the bike is in gear or thinks it is (check neutral switch at shifter, or if the kill switch on the starter button is flipped.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:11 pm

Do you have the factory alarm? Is it engaged? The alarm has a starter interrupt.

Additional thing to check after the other checks: the sidestand switch kill switch and/or its wiring didn't get damaged in the fall(s).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G
I got my bike back as salvage today after it fell off of my trailer. The damage is pretty minimal and mostly cosmetic. The only mechanical damage was a broken rear brake line. The bike was not running when it suffered the damage. The bike is not starting. All the correct dash lights light up but I am not getting the fuel pump pressurizing noise and the engine isn't turning over. Is there some kind of tip over sensor that needs to be reset? Is there something in the ABS controller that won't let it start if one of the brake circuits is comprimised? Any other ideas?

All responses will be very appreciated.
The lack of fuel pump noise is a clue. Did you check all the fuses? There is a starter interlock on the reverse control, too. The ABS won't stop it, and there is no tip over switch. This I know because when I crashed my bike it kept running while laid over on the left side!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 9:31 pm

The first time I let mine fall over fuel clogged the carbon canister. It was a while before I could start it at all and then it ran badly until I removed the canister.
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

On further inspection , there is fuel pump noise when I turn the key. It's a lot quieter then my Suzuki. The side stand switch, kill switch and clutch interlocks checked out fine. I played with the reverse switch to no avail. It appears that everything is working except the starter circuit.

I added the "not starting" info to the salvage auction on Ebay. If it doesn't sell, I will part it out next week.

Thanks

Later......................Gregg

BMW K1200LTC......TOTALED
Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
Kawasaki Vulcan
Polaris Sportsman
Allegro class "A"
A Couple of Trailers
A Few Fords

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in