Help garmin nuvi question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 25th, 2013, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Help garmin nuvi question

I am hoping somebody has figured this problem out all ready ? I took my old garmin 255w nuvi and soldered a earphone jack onto the speaker wires so i could feed it through the intercom on my 00 LT it seems to work pretty good while operating with the gps battery. ( although the volume seems alittle loud) the problem i run into is when I plug the garmin car power adapter into my cigarette adapter on my bike you can't hear the voice prompts any longer if you unplug it and use the gps battery power it works again.
I don't quite understand the electronics end of it because if its plugged into your car the voice prompts are heard through the speaker ? hope that makes sense not quite sure whats going on anybody tried this or have any suggestions. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 25th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Re: Help garmin nuvi question

It sounds to me like you need to install a jack on the housing of the cigarette lighter adapter with it wired to the speaker wires inside there. That way you can plug the cable going to your onboard audio right in there. I have no idea why the internal GPS speaker wouldn't also be getting a feed when the car charger is being used.

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Some of the early Garmin's and possibly the early Nuvi's had a cigarette power cord that also contained the speaker. These were mainly meant for use in a car I would suspect. I know that my 2610's and the 2720 did that.

On all of my Garmins on the bikes, I have them mounted in front of me where I can see the display so I've never bothered to try and hook it through the headsets. Just too much distraction to me and I'm always listening to XM radio anyway.

Just my thoughts. Everyone is hopefully different -

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Does the same thing happen when you use the AC adapter?

If yes, I suspect you may have to carefully look at the printed circuit board under magnification to see if you lifted a trace from the USB input into the unit? Also possible is dislodging one of those tiny, tiny, tiny components, or inadvertantly getting a spec of solder bridging a circuit board trace.

You have to look at both sides of the printed circuit board.

And yes u should be getting audio thru the speaker if you used a normally closed jack; insert the plug and it closes the circuit to the jack while it open the circuit to the speaker.

I seem to remember 15 watt or so suggested for tiny, tiny, tiny SMC work.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in