Rear Suspension - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Rear Suspension

I have an 02 LT with 45K, it seems to be bottoming out with two up now and I think the rear shock could use replacing. I have the BMW service manual and it doesn't seem to be that difficult of a job, just time consuming. Has anyone replace their rear shock themselves? If so, how difficult was it and any recommendations on shocks, OEM vs. aftermarket. Also should I do the front at the same time, and how difficult it that. I am pretty hand and have a large collection of tools. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 7:22 pm

Re: Rear Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabee
I have an 02 LT with 45K, it seems to be bottoming out with two up now and I think the rear shock could use replacing. I have the BMW service manual and it doesn't seem to be that difficult of a job, just time consuming. Has anyone replace their rear shock themselves? If so, how difficult was it and any recommendations on shocks, OEM vs. aftermarket. Also should I do the front at the same time, and how difficult it that. I am pretty hand and have a large collection of tools. Thanks.

Not a major job. You might look at adding oil to the preload adjustor and /or changing your springs to the Hyperpro brand if the shocks are still serviceable. Lots of postings on the matter in the archives.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 9:39 pm

The rear shocks are fairly easy. It's the front one that is the more difficult task. When I first came on this site, I believe my LT had about 20000 miles on it. I keep reading post about how much different the bike handled with the Wilburs, Ohlin's, HyperPro etc, and I thought that was all pretty much hype. WELL, at around 45000 miles, my bike started feeling like you describe yours---bottoming out and not cornering as well as I thought it should. So I bit the bullet, and ordered new front and rear Ohlins and my friend Billd (on this site) and I put them one on day. WOW, I couldn't believe what a difference they made in the bike. It was almost like riding a totally new bike. I can't say enough, what a difference those shocks made. I know many people on here just have replaced the springs and marvel at the difference they make. I really can't speak to that, but I can say that you really don't realize how worn the stocks ones become as you ride the bike since the bike itself is such a wonderfully engineered ride---but new shocks are like night and day. At least that is my opinion.

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 9:44 pm

I did the same at 19K, my shocks were still good but I wanted a more controlled ride. WOW is all I can say, never expected it to make that much difference.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 11:30 pm

I'm in sort of the same situation here. Just a couple of weeks ago got a 'new' 2007 LT and it came with Wilber's that are only about 18 month old. But the PO was about 225 and 6' 4" with a 34 inch inseam

I, on the other hand, am old, 5' 8" and 190. His shock and spring setup was way to hard and rough for me. So yesterday I spent the better part of 4 hours getting to the rear shock and getting it all off. It's the Wilber's that is 3 pieces and it is about 11/12 lbs in weight. I built a box this morning to package it all up and got it to FedEx right after lunch.
Ted Porter knows it's coming back for a lighter spring and to be set up for my particular situation and riding style.

So I'am in hopes that they will get it back in the mail to by next Friday and I'll have it in and back on the bike by the following Friday. I also hope it's a better ride and also a lower ride than it's been in the past 3 weeks. I'll have to make do with the '99 for now.

Good luck on your problem, and also you'll find that just doing the proper fill up of the oil in the preload adjuster will do amazing things. I'd do that immediately if not sooner.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #6 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 12:04 am

So what is the test for a bad suspension? Is it like a car where you push it down and then see how quickly it returns to a level position?

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 1:49 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Your shocks are shot. There is no way around it. I had Ted Porter order and set up a pair of Wilber Shocks for me. He will set them up for your weight and riding style. For $1100 it was like riding a new bike.

beemershop.com

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #8 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
So what is the test for a bad suspension? Is it like a car where you push it down and then see how quickly it returns to a level position?
before I put the Hyperpro springs on my bike she hardly leaned at all when on the side stand also when sitting on the side stand using a light to look at the struts there was very little of the shiny part of the shaft showing, almost compressed totally without anyone on the bike.
I have changed a number of gas struts on my cars over the years and when I took the springs off mine they still work fine - hard to push shaft all the way in, compressed and when released very slow to extend, personally since the stock springs are so soft (weak) the suspension is compressed and has a very small range of operation and last a long time, just changing the springs is a good option and lots of people have done just that.

when I changed the springs on mine it had 45K miles on it

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
before I put the Hyperpro springs on my bike she hardly leaned at all when on the side stand also when sitting on the side stand using a light to look at the struts there was very little of the shiny part of the shaft showing, almost compressed totally without anyone on the bike.
I have changed a number of gas struts on my cars over the years and when I took the springs off mine they still work fine - hard to push shaft all the way in, compressed and when released very slow to extend, personally since the stock springs are so soft (weak) the suspension is compressed and has a very small range of operation and last a long time, just changing the springs is a good option and lots of people have done just that.

when I changed the springs on mine it had 45K miles on it
Right here. Change just the springs unless you see oil leaking from the shocks.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2013, 3:02 pm

The three best things I've done with respect to my LT are:
1) Bought it
2) After market seat
3) After market shocks - front and rear. I went with Wilber, but would probably be just as happy had I gone Ohlins. Made a world of difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in