Removing abs/servo - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By norton
  • 1 Post By whtmtn2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Removing abs/servo

Anyone have instructions on removing abs and servo for 04 Lt.? I found the video on rtp but nothing on the Lt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 8:58 pm

Re: Removing abs/servo

I think Chris Harris has a video on it from Affordable Beemer;just google once.
Your does not work or just want to get rid of the noise

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #3 of 40 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Mine quit and servo works intermittently making it unsafe. I do not want to spend $2200 for a new unit.

post #4 of 40 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 9:10 pm

I just contacted Chris. Not because I have a problem, but if I do. I want to bypass it. Chris emailed me saying he's working on 2 LT's yanking the servos now. And will have more info and how to do it. In September.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #5 of 40 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks
post #6 of 40 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 8:32 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216
I just contacted Chris. Not because I have a problem, but if I do. I want to bypass it. Chris emailed me saying he's working on 2 LT's yanking the servos now. And will have more info and how to do it. In September.
That'll be an interesting video.... bitchin' the whole time he's working on the LT's... looking forward to those ones..

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 40 Old Aug 27th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Tagging for future updates.

2002 K1200LT-E
post #8 of 40 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Well i decided to dive into it. I removed the plastics, battery, stingray and fuel tank. Little bit of a mess with the brake fluid as i disconnected the lines. Abs unit out and servo unit out. Brake lines out. The front two brake lines come up under the handlebars and join into one. The same type of connector as in the rtp video is mounted front of the fuel tank on the frame. (4 lines). I cut the connector just like in the video and joined the line for the front calipers and the front master cylinder/brake. I bled and they pressurized like a normal system. For the rear, the rear caliper line runs along the right side and along the swing arm. There is a connector there. The rear brake master cylinder line runs up and stops with a connector in front of the battery. I went to a shop and they made me a ss line for $40. 1 ft 7 in plus the end length. the front was a banjo with a bend back and to the right side of the motorcycle. The rear was just straight. I screwed it right in bled it and two minuted later i had rear brake.

The wiring is where i am currently at. There are three connectors. A setup like in the rtp video for the abs unit. The servo is a separate unit and has two round barrel connectors. Turned the key without connecting any of the wiring and found the neutral safety switch was one of the wires in one of the barrel connectors and it would not kick over. I then connected the two barrel connectors and pos and neg attached to the servo and the neutral light lit and it would crank but not start. Also if you do not connect the pos and neg on the servo unit the mc will still crank and neutral light lights up. This is where i am currently. Help with the wiring would be appreciated. I have not cut any wires yet.
post #9 of 40 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 9:32 am

Contact Chris Harris. He will help you.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #10 of 40 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Stupid mistake on switching fuel lines when i put the tank back on. Switched them and runs like a champ
post #11 of 40 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 11:24 am

Are the masters large enough to do adequate braking without the servo assist/Abs in place?

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #12 of 40 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 10:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
Are the masters large enough to do adequate braking without the servo assist/Abs in place?
They are the same for all years so if they work for a 99 (no power assist) they will work on any year. But I do not advocate removing the ABS functionality.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 40 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Just finished the wiring. Everything went good. used two relays just like in the video. Originally I thought the wiring was different but I was able to find the same colored wires as in the RTP video. The only thing I have yet to figure out is the speedometer. Test drove it and it stops normally without that loud whine.
post #14 of 40 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 3:12 pm

Thats pretty good hphammer to bad you did not have video to go with it.;now I know where to go if I get get sick of the whine.
post #15 of 40 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 3:47 pm

hphammer, congrats on the new brakes. I have the same issue and I'm trying to decide which route to go (MM - rebuild (available Dec 2013 time-frame @ around $450), remove ABS module like you did, buy new unit ($2300)). I'm very interested in hearing more about the task and your thoughts on the bike now. All sounds positive, but just want to gather more information.

I need to find out if your system is the same as my 2006 LT. I think it is, but need to confirm.

Sammy
post #16 of 40 Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphammer View Post
Just finished the wiring. Everything went good. used two relays just like in the video. Originally I thought the wiring was different but I was able to find the same colored wires as in the RTP video. The only thing I have yet to figure out is the speedometer. Test drove it and it stops normally without that loud whine.
How and/or where does the speedo tie into all this?
Is it connected to the abs or servo unit?

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #17 of 40 Old Apr 9th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
How and/or where does the speedo tie into all this?
Is it connected to the abs or servo unit?
John,
yes it does... alternator too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lt wiring.jpg
Views:	5306
Size:	774.8 KB
ID:	52665  

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #18 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 12:53 pm

hphammer Did you figured out the Speedometer and Alternator wiring?
post #19 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphammer View Post

Any Luck with Speedometer and Alternator?
post #20 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 2:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfgarza View Post
Any Luck with Speedometer and Alternator?
The only connection to the alternator is for ABS power (also ties to battery +). The ABS "brain" develops the signal for the speedometer based on the rear ABS sensor. Only way to make it work correctly is to remove the circuit card "brain" from the ABS and hook it back up to the harness. You will still have the flashing warning lights but can disable that by cutting one wire or removing a relay. The brake lights will also work with no additional wiring.

That is the only way to get the speedo working again short of designing your own circuit to drive it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #21 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 4:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just a thought, would it be feasible to simply plug the hydraulics on the ABS unit and leave the circuit board in place for the speedo function? Then just build your bypass hydraulics directly to the wheels.

post #22 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 7:22 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Just a thought, would it be feasible to simply plug the hydraulics on the ABS unit and leave the circuit board in place for the speedo function? Then just build your bypass hydraulics directly to the wheels.
That is exactly what I'm doing to my 2004 LT now.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #23 of 40 Old Nov 26th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Is the LT safe to ride without the ABS setup? How much difference in the brakes?
post #24 of 40 Old Nov 26th, 2014, 1:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you are going to leave the unit on I recommend pulling the leads to the servo motors as they will just consume energy and eventually burn out. The leads with the red and grey, red and black wires. The others are for the ABS solenoids.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electronics internal board 6.JPG
Views:	2250
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	69553  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #25 of 40 Old Jan 7th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
Is the LT safe to ride without the ABS setup? How much difference in the brakes?
My servo unit failed misserably! What I did is to bypass the servos directly to the calipers without removing servo unit al all. Everything works ok. Obvious, you loose ABS but I have a Goldwing 1500 also and I aplied exactly the same presure to brake as any motorcycle. So far everything works fine.

PS. Where I can find the the cables you say to pull and cut the power to the servos? What cable do I need to cut to rid of the shitty ABS warning lights?

Is it the "green" cable?
post #26 of 40 Old Jan 7th, 2015, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If you are going to leave the unit on I recommend pulling the leads to the servo motors as they will just consume energy and eventually burn out. The leads with the red and grey, red and black wires. The others are for the ABS solenoids.

PS. Where I can find the the cables you say to pull and cut the power to the servos? What cable do I need to cut to rid of the shitty ABS warning lights?

Is it the "green" cable?
post #27 of 40 Old Jan 8th, 2015, 11:24 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfgarza View Post

Is it the "green" cable?
I will get you the details tonight. Don't cut anything until then

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #28 of 40 Old Jan 8th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Thank you! I'm speaking of cables 'cause to reach the Module where ABS warning relay is deep bellow the fuel tank. (Good design BMW engineers), and I don't wanna spend a big deal of time removing all this sucker.
post #29 of 40 Old Jan 8th, 2015, 7:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The wires to cut are in the big connector on the top of the ABS unit. These will stop the warning lights. The only way to disconnect the servo motors is to pull the end cap off the ABS like in my post number 24 above. Pull off the big connector and pop the back off of it. Find the Brown/Red wire on pin 9 and the Brown/Yellow wire on pin 10 and cut them. Replace the cover and re-connect the connector. Your warning lights will now be out but you will have Speedo, Odo and cruise still available.

The picture shows the big connector (red arrow) and the end cap is circled in green.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ABS 2002.jpg
Views:	2238
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	71721  
sailor, Frenchy, vfgarza and 1 others like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Jan 8th, 2015 at 7:48 pm.
post #30 of 40 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Quote:
The wires to cut are in the big connector on the top of the ABS unit. These will stop the warning lights. The only way to disconnect the servo motors is to pull the end cap off the ABS like in my post number 24 above. Pull off the big connector and pop the back off of it. Find the Brown/Red wire on pin 9 and the Brown/Yellow wire on pin 10 and cut them. Replace the cover and re-connect the connector. Your warning lights will now be out but you will have Speedo, Odo and cruise still available.

The picture shows the big connector (red arrow) and the end cap is circled in green.

Thank you very much!

On next weekend I'll spend a time doing this.
post #31 of 40 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 3:45 am

It always amazes me how mechanically savvy some of you guys are to figure this complex shit out. This site is lucky to have the wealth of knowledge that it does.
Tricky_dickey likes this.
post #32 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 8:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if the video referenced above had been produced (removal of the ABS unit)? If so, could someone please provide a link? I currently have the LT torn down (have not removed the battery holder, yet) and bled the lines. I'm about to remove the ABS (to have it refurbished) and would like to know of any helpful hints or specific tools needed that I don't currently have.
I going off both the BMW and Climer's manuals, but they are less than comprehensive about specific ways to remove things. I'm a shade tree mechanic, at best.

Thanks for all comments/suggestions,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #33 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 4:55 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Jerry

Just wondering why you'd bleed the lines (brake lines I assume) if you are going to remove the ABS unit for overhaul? Practice?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #34 of 40 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 7:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Hi Jerry

Just wondering why you'd bleed the lines (brake lines I assume) if you are going to remove the ABS unit for overhaul? Practice?
Hi Chris,

I'm also replacing the original rubber brake lines. Piked up the Spiegler replacements (sportbiketrackgear.com; SP S-BM0140-CLR-NAT clear, natural).I will also be bleeding the ABS unit, too. The lines going into the ABS need to be drained or there's a BIG mess.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #35 of 40 Old May 12th, 2015, 10:54 am

Well fellas, I have my 02 all apart. Tank off, Battery Out. I'm ready to drain the brake lines and remove the ABS Unit hopefully without making a mess.
I have a couple of questions that I hope you don't mind answering.

1) The relay that is under the tank that you say to disconnect to stop the wig wag brake failure lights from flashing. What does is look like? Which side is it on? What color wires come out of it? Do I cut it out and just tape off the wires left from it OR just unplug?

2) Do we continue to use the rear brake reservoir? If so how do I manage the few hoses that are on it?

Thanks guys!

Mark D.
Groveland,MA
2002 KLT (JETBLUE)
1993 ST1100 (retired)
1982 GPz 1100 EFI (retired)
1979 750F (retired)
post #36 of 40 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 1:49 pm

O.K. answering my own questions for you.
The ABS relay is located in the large compartment under the tank. Right hand side. Cover held with 8 screws. It is also part of the air filter compartment assembly. ABS relay is in the top relay holder. It is the blue relay. Back row left hand side of the relay holder.

Rear brake tank. I cut and plugged the two rear hoses that would feed the ABS unit. The front hose continues to be used and feeds the rear master cylinder. I refilled both ends of the rear master cylinder tank. I think though that filling the rear master cylinder rear tank (ABS reservoir) is not necessary.

Thanks to all that provided info here. This process is not difficult.
sailor likes this.
post #37 of 40 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Talking Re: Removing abs/servo

Quote:

Hi.Is this the same as on a r1200rt year 2006 your help would be very helpful Brendan
post #38 of 40 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 2:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The servo brake units are pretty much the same across the different models with the programming being the difference. So if you need to pull the board and look for corrosion I say go for it. Bypassing the unit all together is the same.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #39 of 40 Old Dec 7th, 2018, 5:24 am

good day all

ive got a gs 1200 04 model from my father,,,, we removed the abs pump and servo assisted breaks and bypassed all that..
new problem is the speedo doesnt work....any help????
post #40 of 40 Old Dec 7th, 2018, 4:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes you need to open up the unit you pulled out and remove the circuit board. Just remove the end of the ABS and cover the open end to insulate the board and plug it back into the harness. The ABS brain uses the rear ABS sensor to drive the speedometer and odometer, it also drives the brake light relay.

This may work based on the similarity to the LT but be aware the GS started with the CAN buss in 2004 so it may not work.

If the ABS looks like this one you may succeed. If it was the other one (b&w pic) you could have just left it in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electronics internal board 6.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	148837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pressure 3.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	148839   Click image for larger version

Name:	new ABS.PNG
Views:	123
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	148841  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Dec 7th, 2018 at 4:29 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in