Need help identifying Wire/Plug - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Need help identifying Wire/Plug

So apparently I forgot to plug in a plug from my most recent tear-down; now I can't figure out what it is supposed to be plugged into. Everything is working on the bike, with the exception of my aftermarket lights, my high beam, and my cooling fans. Logic would tell me that the plug is related to the fans, but I can't seem to tell.

It is a two-prong female plug, with a brown wire (ground) and a red wire, with yellow lead. Anybody know what it controls? And more importantly, where the other end of the plug is? (Im thinking its probably under the fuel tank, because I haven't pulled that off yet and I can't see anything.

This picture is taken from the right side of the bike, you can see the bleeder for the clutch slave. Thanks for your help!

[IMG]wire.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	787.9 KB
ID:	39770  

Paul L.
Upstate NY

2002 BMW K1200LTC
1998 Buell Thunderbolt S3T
1978 HD Sportster
1975 HD FXE
1978 Honda CB 750F Super Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 7:23 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Need help identifying Wire/Plug

maybe right hand powerlet plug? its down there...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 11 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 7:51 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
maybe right hand powerlet plug? its down there...
Correct, Most LT's don't use it but most all have it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Hm. Makes sense I guess. My bike doesn't have a power outlet on the right side, but two on the left.

I'm pretty sure my fans aren't working though, as I got stuck in traffic the other day and the temp gauge was climbing higher than I ever remember, and it only did it in traffic. Is there a good way to test this, or common place to look?

Paul L.
Upstate NY

2002 BMW K1200LTC
1978 HD Sportster
1975 HD FXE
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 21st, 2013, 10:09 pm

My weak memory seems to tell me that the fuse the fans are on will also have something else in that fuse/

If nothing else does not work your fuse shud be gud.

Covering the the radiators with the engine running shud get the temp high enuff to start ur fans.

the connector in ue pix lloks full or green corrosion--not connected to anything, like the connector for the missing cig-socket that normally just hangs in that area.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 3:48 am

Don't quote me on this, but that connector imight be used for the chrome model KLT's that have running lights installed on the crash bar rocker panels. I personally do not have the chromed out model so I'm not absolutely sure about this. Is there a similar wire connector on the other side of the bike?
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 9:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliepup
Don't quote me on this, but that connector imight be used for the chrome model KLT's that have running lights installed on the crash bar rocker panels. I personally do not have the chromed out model so I'm not absolutely sure about this. Is there a similar wire connector on the other side of the bike?
Can't be that, those lights have two spade type connections. It looks like the unused powerlet connection like the other folks mentioned. I added a powerlet socket to that side and it looks just like that.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 9:16 am Thread Starter

When I bought my bike, I was told it was an LTC model. Don't know. My bike doesn't have running lights, or a right side power outlet. It makes sense that it is factory wiring for an aux plug, as it looks just like the one on the left side.

If the bike was low on coolant, would that explain getting hot in traffic, but not on the highway?

Paul L.
Upstate NY

2002 BMW K1200LTC
1978 HD Sportster
1975 HD FXE
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 4:45 pm

Think about the air flow through the radiators in traffic vrs on an interstate.

Pop ur seat an look at the overflow tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZB57b3lPQE

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 4:47 pm

Rem modern engines have higher temp thermostats than back in the olden days when one could climb into the engine compartment to work on the engine.
Bob

post #11 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdironhead78
When I bought my bike, I was told it was an LTC model. Don't know. My bike doesn't have running lights, or a right side power outlet. It makes sense that it is factory wiring for an aux plug, as it looks just like the one on the left side.

If the bike was low on coolant, would that explain getting hot in traffic, but not on the highway?
in the old days the fan was on the water pump spinning all the time drawing air thru rad and the electric fan runs all the time when the AC is on - neither apply to motorcycles so movement causes air flow and if sitting temp rises in rads until sensor turns on fans to cool them - motor temp remains constant around 230F

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in