Front wheel bearings - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2013, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Front wheel bearings

Ok, I got my wheel bearings changed today. Why is that pipe between the bearings? It makes it very difficult to get the bearings out. When you put the new bearings in they go up against a seat and can't travel anywhere. What would happen if that pipe was not put back in? I did put it back in but I can't see the necessity of it.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Re: Front wheel bearings

When the front axle is tightened down, without the spacer, the inner bearing races would begin to bind. You can try it and see, but you'll be buying new bearings. The spacer takes up the space between the two bearings so when you tighten the axle down the spacer is being pinched between the two bearings, and yes it does make getting the bearings out a pain. I usually weld a piece of flat strap to one of the bearing's outer surface, then just use a rod to knock it out. Then remove the spacer and then the other side bearing.

I think the correct tool to use is a blind hole bearing puller. Like this one,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Blind-Ho...7ea0b0&vxp=mtr

Rarely does a manufacturer install something in an assembly when it serves no purpose. Almost every bike front wheel uses this setup, although some use a spacer which has enough space between it and the wheel hub, which allows the spacer to be moved slightly to one slide. This allows you to tap the bearing out little by little.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Last edited by azccj; Aug 17th, 2013 at 7:09 pm.
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 17th, 2013, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Like I said, I put it back in. What I did think of later was that I should have relived the inner surface of the spacer which would have allowed for a small edge to tap on the bearing. I probably won't have to change them again for as long as I have the bike.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 18th, 2013, 6:43 am

Marty, how many miles do you have on your bike?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 18th, 2013, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

126k. The old bearings felt pretty smooth when I got them out. I have a noise that sounded speed related not rpm related so I thought I would change the bearings. It helped somewhat but I still have some noises that sound like they are coming from the front end.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 18th, 2013, 5:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Your front end noise is cupping on the tire. Lean side to side at speed and you'll see what I mean. Do not screw with the axle spacer. It is precision machined to hold the proper width between the inner bearing races. It is the same length as the distance between the two bearing seats on the hub. You would trash the bearings instantly without it installed.

post #7 of 12 Old Aug 19th, 2013, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

I don't think it is tire noise. I know what that sounds like. This sounds like a harmonic imbalance in the motor. I assume that there is a timing change in the motor. Could that be getting loose? Could there be something loose in the tranny. Is this something I should even be worried about. I know that these bikes make noise.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Trust me. Run your fingers across the front tread. There's bumps on the tread guaranteed unless it's almost brand new. Common issue on all big bikes. Take her up to 50 mph and then lean side to side. See what happens. It is possibly the classic "K-whine" which is caused by gear lash on the alternator drive or other various sources. It is usually most pronounced at about 3000 rpm and nothing to worry about. Until you try leaning side to side though, I'm sticking with tire noise.

post #9 of 12 Old Aug 19th, 2013, 11:51 pm

Yep, sounds ridiculous, but it may also be coming from the rear tyre as well. My K100 was bad for it. You'd swear it was in the front, the sound would travel up through the fairing. New rear tyre and all would be well till the wear started again.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 7:28 am

If you think it's engine noise just pull in the clutch and let off on the throttle and see if it changes
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 8:37 am

I had a similar noise that I thought was coming from the front of the bike. It keep getting worse over the course of about 3k. Turned out is was the final drive!
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 20th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Marty maybe you are ready to trade it in; go to Shawmut Hills ;just for the heck of it I tried their 2012 ST1300( New by the way)left over; 13,000 Dollars with the trade in and way you go.
It is a nice ride ;but I am going to stick with what I got for now

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in