Handlebar Covers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 5:16 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Handlebar Covers

Hey all,

Rough roads are taking a toll. On the BRP earlier this month, I hit a pothole and the left mirror assembly came off and on the right, just the mirror came out. Muth mirror wires kept me from losing them. Hit a hole on the interstate last week and the left came out again, detached from the wire and I lost it. The week before, I lost my new BMW coffee cup, again, where they are resurfacing and went from ground down pavement to old surface - it hit very hard.

Sunday, I hit a man hole cover sticking up from the resurfacing they are doing and it knocked it off the right handle bar upper cover. Long story short - I raised my handle bars too high (had done the same on the 02 w/o issue) and the covers didn't attach as they are supposed to and I ended up breaking the thread out of the top cover to the rear screw. I jb welded the right back in place and it has held for 2 yrs. Now I've lost the broken threaded part. The left is held on by the cup holder. Too bad it wouldn't fit on the right or I would have two!

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on how to reattach both handlebar covers w/o the rear most screw. Tempted to just glue them closed since it isn't something you take off very often.
I'm thinking some type of velcro would work...

I will say the stability of the bike to take these hard hits and stay straight and stable is impressive. I can't believe I didn't bent the rim. Guess I need to watch more closely where I'm going =-}

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Re: Handlebar Covers

Kim - Google 'The Motorcycle Mortuary'. Last time I checked, they were selling off parts of an LT. I bought the wiring harness from it. They're in Saint Louis. HTH.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 8:05 pm
cws

Garage

Another DIY alternate is to rebuild the tab or screw thread block using Plastifix.. see their (crappy) videos on how to do this....or, here's a good video from another company using Plastfix.
Rebuilt my top box hinge mount where the broken plastic was missing, its good stuff IMHO.

Edit: Looks like Plastifix may have been bought out by Urethane Supply Company... can't find the original videos now...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2013, 6:09 am

Garage

Fleabay comes to the rescue- they have both the dark and light covers ranging from $30 to $60. Why screw around with anything else?

EBAY Covers

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #5 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2013, 12:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks all for the suggestions. Ebay may be the answer for a replacement since 1/3 dealer price. May have to lower the bars a notch so the covers fit better. Actually, I really would like to raise them even more...

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker

85 K100RT - (wore out)
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Check out the HD sites for some nice tall, chrome ape hangers :-))

Look at fiber glass kits, mostly for fiber glass boats.

In theory you should be able to make a ,mold of exactly how you want to configure a new top piece; base is current top cover, add clay to it, something with a little "tooth", just means sand.

Once you get the exact shape you want. let it dry until it is "leather-hard", not soft, but resists rubbing. Take some small smooth object, valve stems, well washed river stone, and rub the surface to further smooth it and make it shiny.

You can them make your mold; have to do that before the clay dries further as it contracts, becomes brittle, easily nicked, and broken.

Bob

If you want it to look SEXY look at carbon fiber to replace the fiber glass--expensive!

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Try Q bond repair kit it comes with a piece of material to make a mold with;; Y-TUBE it and it gives a good way of using it . It is stronger then actual one;you can get it at Amazon.It also has great reviews.

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2013, 2:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Make my own? Wow, y'all are really thinking out side the box. Maybe if nothing was available...but I do like the carbon fiber idea from BecketMa, you couldn't just stop there and would have to do all the grey pieces, but it would look cool.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker

85 K100RT - (wore out)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in