K1200LT Reservoir - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Question K1200LT Reservoir

I am a new K1200 (02) owner and have the ABS intermittent light flashing issue. Everything worked fine when test ridden and during the ride home, now it intermittently flashes. Have read most of the information on line and noted that the rear brake reservoir fluid is low, plan to replace brake pads and change fluid.
The question I have however is associated with the reservoir itself. The rear fluid level is not seen in the window as one would expect from reading the manuals. The front reservoir is visible from the window but only partially. Is this correct or has this reservoir been "reinstalled" incorrectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 9:38 am

Re: K1200LT Reservoir

This depends on if it has a sensor on it or not. Can you take a top down picture and post it? How good is the battery condition? That will sometimes cause the wig wag lights too.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElioP
I am a new K1200 (02) owner and have the ABS intermittent light flashing issue. Everything worked fine when test ridden and during the ride home, now it intermittently flashes. Have read most of the information on line and noted that the rear brake reservoir fluid is low, plan to replace brake pads and change fluid.
The question I have however is associated with the reservoir itself. The rear fluid level is not seen in the window as one would expect from reading the manuals. The front reservoir is visible from the window but only partially. Is this correct or has this reservoir been "reinstalled" incorrectly.
The reservoir was not installed incorrectly. The very early bikes had a single round rear reservoir - the window is designed for that. My bike also wig-wag flashed the ABS lights soon after I got my bike & it was caused by slightly low level in the rear chamber. To access it, it is best to remove the right side tupperware and right rear small panel - just top it up until you change your pads. At that time you'll want to flush the brakes anyway.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 10:33 am Thread Starter

Thank you for the battery input, checked the battery and its 12.5 VDC and 13.65 VDC when running. Would seem to be adequate.

Thank you for the information for the reservoir. I will top it off tonight and hopefully it will fix the issue.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 11:56 am

Viewing the reservoir the way the manual describes is pretty useless unless the bike is new I'd think. It's even harder to do with fresh brake fluid. The best is to raise the seat, remove the passenger seat and look that way. I believe the "wig wag" is low fluid, the steady warning and the flashing brake light could be a few things.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #6 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Elio, there will be two reservoirs below the passenger seat. Check the fluid level in both reservoirs and make sure they are full. If they're not, topping them up should fix the flashing. One or both (I'm not sure) is/are monitored by the braking system. Low fluid activates the flashing.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 9:13 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: K1200LT Reservoir

Thank you all for the very helpful inputs. The rear brake reservoir was just below MIN. topped it off and the lights and brakes behave correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in