Opinions on tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Opinions on tires

I've been following this forum since before I purchased my '05 LT in 2007. My LT has 85K miles and is undergoing its annual in my garage. I have used this site extensively to troubleshoot issues and learn how to do the ABS brake bleed and other procedures.

My question is this: Does anyone have any objective evidence or proof regarding the best tires for the LT. I'm on my 5th or 6th set of M880's and have had no issues. Many members state this brand or that brand have better grip in wet conditions or on tar snakes etc.

Unless you're pushing your bike to the limit, experiencing rear wheel drift, losing the front wheel in turns or sliding regularly off the road in the rain how do you quantify this?

How many of you have actually crashed or dropped your bike in the rain while maneuvering with a tire brand then changed tire brands and repeated the "experiment".?

All opinions stated are just that, opinions. "Well it feels better in turns with this brand".

Especially mixing brands front and rear. When BMW designed the LT I rest assured they didn't just walk into the back room a pick two random tires because they just happen to have them. Perhaps they actually did some research with different brands, sizes?

Each tire brand has different design characteristics. If one uses different brands front & rear you may lose the benefits that a matched set may offer. Would you have different brands front & rear on your personal vehicle? Not I.

This may ignite a firestorm of opinions, like discussing the best oils for the LT or better yet religion and politics.

Your opinions Ladies & Gentlemen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 9:18 am

Re: Opinions on tires

post #3 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 9:22 am

I'm currently running an ME880 front and a Bridgestone BT020 rear and love it. (it's my 2nd time with this combo).

I tried the BT020 front and it wore out way too quick, being shot at about 7,000 miles. Meanwhile my current front ME880 has 15,000 miles on it, yes 15,000 and has some good miles left. The cost comparison between the front Metzeler and Bridgestone in negligible so the Metzeler is the clear value here.

When I bought my first rear Bridgestone it was because of price. The Bridgestone was significantly lower in price than the Metzeler. From reading here, I knew the mileage would be less but not really that much less. I figured I could buy 3 Bridgestones for the eventual cost of 2 Metzelers and still have money left over. In between I did put a rear Metzeler on and was quite happy with it (the Magic Carpet had Metzelers on it when I bought it). That particular Metzeler needed to be replaced because of a road hazard damage and I just happened to replace it with a Bridgestone because Metzelers were backordered at the time. My current Bridgestone has about 10,000 miles on it and has plenty of good miles left. I had put 13,000 miles on a previous one and it was only replaced because of a previous puncture repair that had begun to leak.

I can not tell any difference in grip between the two when on dry roads. I had the bike "slip" on the rear once while fully loaded in a right turn at an intersection with the nearly new Metzeler. I was not on any of the painted lines. On tar snakes in the summer I do notice a difference. The front Metzeler sometimes feel like it's on snow or ice when it hits them and I noticed the same with the rear. I don't notice it as much with the rear Bridgestone.

I have noticed that the rear Metzeler looks like it gives more "rim to road" distance than the rear Bridgestone when both are new.

Most of my riding is two up and pressures are 42 and 46/48.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 9:30 am

I use a Metz in front, and a Bstone in the back..no drops,..love it. Prior I have dropped the bike due to tar snakes and water with Metz front and back. Use what you are comfortable with. More opinions to come I'm sure with riding styles and conditions.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'll third the Metzler front and B'stone rear for longest tire life. I messed up and ordered them backwards this time and now that both are installed, will be going ahead and ordering a new set (correctly) since the backward combo. doesn't last as long.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Are we talking about mixing radial and bias here? Isn't that a no-no?
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 3:08 pm

I like the ME880's for long milage......If I'm thinking of doing a lot of twisties I love the BT020's....The milage sort of sucks on the Bridgestones but they are soft enough to grip like your on rails..........Just my two cents worth

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2013, 9:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsko
Are we talking about mixing radial and bias here? Isn't that a no-no?
With my ME880 and BT020 combo, they're both bias ply. Bridgestone hasn't made a radial BT020 for the K1200LT for a number of years. Since I've never looked for radial I don't know if Metzeler makes radials or not for the K1200LT.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in