Sept. Passes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 9th, 2013, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Sept. Passes

Planning trip to Phoenix from Evv and rest up, take off for Colorado passes sept15th.

Does anyone have suggestions, cautions. I know this a little late in year but not on any time constraints.

Thanks,

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=6...b66385f6608c2e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 2:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Sept. Passes

I just got back from a 3,400 mile ride from LA to Flagstaff, AZ; Durango, CO; Silverton, CO; Ouray, CO; Denver; Estes Park, CO; and then through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. If your coming from Phoenix, I would suggest taking the Durango, Silverton, Ouray route and then take some other secondary roads through the Colorado ski/gold mining country (I didn't due to time constraints to get to Denver. Estes Park was fabulous, as well as the Grand Tetons. If you have no time constraints, I would suggest going up through the GTs and then swing through a Chief somethingerother road outside of Yellowstone at the Montana/Wyoming border on your way back home. The bike performed flawlessly through the 11,000 foot passes, and be prepared for winding roads through the Parks and over the Continental Divide with areas sans guardrails and cliffside drops. My only concern was the potential for rain and fog was in the back of my mind. I encountered very little rain and no fog in mid-to-late July. Have a good ride and take lots of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ouray 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	39216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Tetons 9.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	583.6 KB
ID:	39218  

Last edited by JNW003; Aug 10th, 2013 at 2:40 am.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 2:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Actually, I just took a look at the map in your link and the route looks very nice! It may take some time to accomplish all of that riding. I was beat after riding between Durango and Denver by the end of the day, After Ouray, I took the more northernly route via I-70, which I would not do if I had to do it over again, but then again, I had to make it to Denver more quickly, as my wife and I were attending a wedding the next day.

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 7:40 pm

I will give my endorsement to that map. I live here in Colorado and it includes my favorite rides.
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 11th, 2013, 12:15 am

Even in early September the chance of snow above 10,000 feet is quite real. I would keep a sharp eye on the weather and be prepared to re-route if necessary
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 11th, 2013, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Two of the guys have Spot PLB's I'll see if I can get a URL posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in